View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 08:59 PM

There are several threads on this subject so a search would really help you with lots of ideas. However, I had (nearly) that exact experience recently. Only difference is I felt I was nearing the point of rounding the bolt so thought I should go to plan B before I ended up in that situation. As far as why it is so tight, I can give you a possibility. On mine, it had never been removed in 7 years and 140K miles. The dealer had always used a topsider. So the copper washer had gotten kind of stuck to the plug (my opinion). I had a good 6 point socket on it and was using A LOT of force and it seemed as if it was welded on. One issue is that I had "warmed" up the car (more like hot) and so I suspect this made the situation worse. What I did then is I sprayed the bolt head with "freeze-it" spray until it was cold on the theory that this would shrink it a little (I am a dreamer).. Anyway, it worked and I was able to break it free with no damage.

But you have a rounded off bolt head. Again, I would really suggest searching, but one of the ideas I remember is these special sockets Sears sells for just such an occasion. And also try when the engine is cold. And when you put the new one on, a little never-seize won't hurt!

Mike