View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 02:56 PM
California Dreaming

As with all parts being installed on the vehicle it is wise to inspect them prior to installation and here’s why

1) M103 Water pump flange, three holes to mount pulley were not threaded-taught me the value of a thorough visual inspection

2) Spark plugs, performed a 60K service & the car ran like crap (misfired) discovered two spark plugs had broken porcelain insulators which would cover the center electrode once they were installed in the engine-taught me to shake the spark plugs before installing them if they rattle I look closer

3) Auxiliary fans, reverse wired from the factory-taught me to double check replacement item for proper operation

4) Power steering pump, threaded hole for high pressure line not threaded-refer back to line 1

These were the few experiences that helped me remold my thinking when it came to replacement parts. It also provided me the opportunity to be more focused on customer service. No, wait a minute. I think I learned real customer service by working the MB service wagon for 2+ years.

For me nothing was more frustrating then going on a road call for a flat tire only to discover the spare tire was flat. It was even more frustrating when the customer would stand there and say “I just had the car serviced last week by (name withheld for privacy) and paid over a thousand dollars, I wonder what other items were overlooked or neglected.”

WOW! Road side service was the real eye opener to customer service, Flat Spares taught me to focus……..hm