View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Patriotic Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddict
Like I said in another thread, this disaster makes me ashamed of the USA, not just because of the government's slow response, but mainly the anarchy that erupted in this city. My only comfort comes from assuming and hoping that the rest of the USA is more civilized. After reading this article I really see the main problem as the mentality of a good portion of the people who stayed behind. I was really disgusted when I read about the shooting at rescuers, the rapings, lootings and shi*tting everywhere as if they were some animals. Now they still ***** on the floor of the astrodome in Houston even though the restrooms work over there and some even have sex while being surrounded by 10000 other people. What the hell is wrong with these people?
I believe, as the article points out, that it's the welfare state. Handouts work in time of emergency, but as a means to support an entire segment of the population for their entire life and that of the children it's a failure.

Regardless of your ethnicity when you believe you are entitled to something that you haven't worked for, and this is beyond your basic civil rights, then you do not value it and you constantly look for more of the same. When you follow a leader who states that that entitlement is based on your ethnicity the problem is compounded. This type of dynamic would work this way no matter what your heritage might be. As evidenced by people of all types of backgrounds being both succesful and poverty stricken. It has more to do with human dignity than it does with race.

As we've gone round and round on other threads about either the "greatness" of the US or as you put it, the shame. Keep in mind that people tend to respond to postive things rather than negative. This is why I never had a problem with stating that the US is a great country and we've done multitudinous great things. We are possible the best country that ever existed. It's not bragging, it's factual. With that in mind we also are capable of extreme evil. Possibly because we're made up of people and this is their nature as well. I think right now there is more need for the positive rather than the negative - there's always time for that. So, moral of the story, you may feel shame because of a few, but also feel pride when you look at the response from the many all of the country, especially Texas.