View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
AFAIK, they must buy back the power.

But, the catch is that they buy it back at their "cost" to produce it.

So, currently, we pay about $.12 per kilowatt-hour.

When you sell it back to them, they give you about $.05 per kilowatt-hour claiming that their direct cost to produce the power is at this level.
This definitely one of those deals where the salesman gets out his canned pitch and starts flipping through a notebook. All the govt. deals just support the solar industry.
I just bought a surplus military generator with this very cool little 4cyl. air-cooled motor - couldn't pass on the deal. My fuel cost works out to about 70/90 cents a Kw. Even those old Lister styles will burn about 15/20 cents a Kw at current prices, but if you're down and want power, it's cheap at any price.
When you add the cost of an inverter/charger, batteries and power house for the whole rig it gets into the "I just want it" category. Then when your the only light in the valley, you need to think about the shotgun or how to feed all your new found friends.
63 Bug sunroof
85 Jeep CJ7
86 Chevy 6.2l diesel PU

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
Marcus Aurelius