View Single Post
Old 06-18-2001, 08:48 PM
Down to the Wear Bars

I just used mine for the first time as well! First read Lee's Detailing FAQs under the DIY tab if you haven't already seen it. I bought the Mequiars velcro backing plate and polishing pads from their site (Mirror Glaze Soft Buff 6 1/2" finishing pads, W9006). The PC came with one generic polishing pad, which I used for #9. The next pad was for #7, and the last one for Gold Class. The Velcro back pads make changes a snap, and I labelled them as to product so they won't be mixed up in the future.

I applied #9, removed it, then went over the area with another 100%cotton terry. The next day I did the same for #7 and the Gold Class. I used Final inspection between products to make sure the old stuff was gone before applying the next product, and to remove any overnight dust. I thought about springing for one of the miracle fiber towels, but didn't at this time.

Hint: stay away from the rubber and black plastic, it can be a pain to clean. Also, the instructions on removing the backing plate aren't that clear: insert the wrench from the side AWAY from the counterweight, and locking the nut will be a lot easier.

I watched the slide show and video at the Mequiars site, then started off on the old 84 Celica GTS as a learning platform. 6 hours for the whole thing ( 2 hours on a fair # of swirl marks that were on the paint before I started, most are gone now)! Two days later I worked on my technique on the Acura Legend, done in 4 hours (LOTS of deep swirl marks, too many to mess with as I am selling the car - it probably needs more aggressive product or color sanding. Even so, it still looks tons better!).

I am finally ready to try it on the MB this weekend. I don't think you can hurt the finish of your MB with the Mequiars pads and #9/#7/#26 or Gold Class sequence, I just started on the older cars as they needed it anyway, and I wanted a toe in the water before diving in! And the results are awesome - It used to take 2 days per car and a week to recover! You don't even need to apply pressure or use a lot of product, just let the PC rest on the surface.

Last tip - think safe, no jewelry, loose clothing, long hair near the buffer, and use eye protection. I used lab safety goggles, and they had a few micro spatters of product on them when I was done!

Enjoy - This was the easiest waxing I have ever done!

[Edited by JCE on 06-18-2001 at 08:53 PM]

2003 Firemist Red/grey leather SL 500
2015 Palladium Silver/black mbtex GLK 350
1987 Smoke Silver/burgundy mbtex 300E Sportline (SOLD)

Click to see 87 300E