View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012
J.R.B!

Before the shifting of the earth here, you mentioned that you were maybe going to start growing rapeseed or some other seed (I forget) for fuel. I'm curious what the cost of that fuel might be. I imagine that'd be a pretty difficult question to answer, especially if you haven't done it before.

I read, now and then, claims that ethanol requires more BTUs to grow and produce it than it yields. I'm thinking that's not right but I could see the possible dilemma. Then there's the possibility that widespread growing of fuel crops -- oil or ethanol -- would be fairly taxing on farmland. I don't want to make trouble here, but neither do I want to embace false promise.

I read somewhere about a farmer raising rapeseed and running all his equipment on it. My hope is that rapeseed could be raised using an amount of bio-diesel that was a small fraction of the yield of the operation. If it can't be, doesn't look good to raise oil exclusively for fuel, as opposed to raising oil crops for restaurant use first, recycled for fuel use second. Used cooking oil is no way going to fill in for world-wide demand for petroleum (duhhh...) so if virgin oil can't be used for fuel at decent rates, oh man, what next?

I've also read that using ethanol instead of the more toxic methanol to make biodiesel is possible but more difficult. Is methanol obtainable from plant material entirely? I mean it is called wood alcohol. Hell, I should yahoo it and find out.
Rapeseed on average will yield 115 gal. per acre, soybeans will produce around 50-55 gal per acre and peanut is around 100. That of course is dependent on your soil.