View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 05:06 AM
Renaissances Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. R. B.
At www.journeytoforever.org is a list of different seeds and the oil yeild per bushel. According to the charts and what Bot has said I will probably have to sacrifice 15 acres to supply my needs, which I'm willing to do. This is figuring a poor to average crop. My neighbor has been farming for at least 5 years on his own fuel. He uses sunflower seeds and has a crushing machine. I'm going to try to get to see him before he makes his yearly winter exodus to Arizona and look at his set up. I will probably build my own in my machine shop. I would have seen him a couple of weeks ago but I smashed my right knee cap and have been on crutches with a lot of pain. Maybe next week I will feel better and see him. The down side of the crushing for me is the fact that I will be one year behind times and will have to farm with #2 again. I have been mixing used crankcase oil @ 10% this summer. If I can accumulate enough crankcase oil it should offset my fuel expenses this coming year so I can limp through. I'm a cheap SOB. I'll keep you guys posted on the crushing equipment and if I build my own I'll show you guys how I do it.
Damn, good luck on that knee. I spend a lot of time on mine, putting in baseboard and the like and they're fragile on most all of us. I put my kneepads on first thing on the job.

Good news about your neighbor. I wouldn't be surprise if someday, virgin oil for biodiesel will be cost competitive with petro fuel. Of course, they'll be using coal for some sort of liquid fuel extract for a while, hundreds of years perhaps, after petro gets overly scarce.