View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:54 PM

pedal to da metal........flooring it

Another thing, with oil base and maybe other bases, gloss seems to be tougher for wear than semi gloss and satin. It has to do with the ingredients that are added to the gloss to get it opaque. However, gloss may have a tendency to show scratches easier. Just like a shiny car finish versus one that is not.

That is why gloss is used after the primer. Then you decide how to finish coat it. Gloss, semi-g or satin.

I've had gloss finish on my hardwood floors and the truth is that it has held up
close to 17 yrs and still looks good. The slight surface scratches can be seen at angles. Not a big deal. The gloss finish has the advantage that with time and use, it wears to semigloss.

My folks had their home hardwood floors done recently. One floor was oak.
They dumped the w to w carpet and now use their oriental rugs over the wood floors. Looks cleaner and probably will hide less dust.
Be aware that when you get out of carpeting, certain rooms may feel chillier or the sound dynamics may change. Just a function of the role that carpet plays in damping cold and sound.

Harwood floors are nice !

Those sanding machines take sometime to master. I've only done it once myself. Not easy. Gouges happen all too easily. Try to practice up a bit if you DIY. 220V machines are better bc they make the job go faster then 110v machines.

have fun !! woot!
1979 240D 140Kmiles (bought for parents) *SOLD.
SAN FRANCISCO/(*San Diego)
1989 300SE 148 K miles *SOLD