View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 300SD Sady
I first simply drilled a hole right under the ashtray where I could see that the metel was the thinest. I had seen this done before in someones pictorial. THen I just ran the wires from the pollak in the engine compartment to the hole (located above the tranny so drill CAREFULLY!)

I used some silicone to seal it off. A grommet would be ideal. Also, I want to get some plastic loom type stuff to guard it better from the horrors the undercarrige goes through. Luckly after double checking everything it worked the very first time, and is very reliable to date.
Did that this morning it worked out beautifully. So now I have my switch within easy reach, and I'm in business. It now justs sits there in place of the ashtray so it's ugly as sin but I want to just leave it like this while I take my time fabricating a decent looking gauge (and switch..) panel to go in place of the ashtray. I figure that'll have my secondary fuel gauge, boost gauge, and pyrometer. Still not sure if I want to attempt to stain that thing to match the rest of the wood in the car or just cover the panel in leather that matches my interior. I'm leaning toward the leather because I figure there's no way I'm gonna match the wood exactly, but with the leather I stand a chance at least. Anyway thanks for the tip - it worked great!

Charlie