View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 11:56 PM

Question '77 240D rotates but won't start

Newbie diesel mechanic here. I acquired a '77 240D that ran when we drove it on the trailer. It had been sitting for about 5 years before that. I had it running when I got the car home, but now it rotates and won't start. The serial glow plugs work, which is evident by the glowing "W" wires in a dark shop. I changed fuel filters (primary & secondary) and replaced the fuel in
the tank with fresh stuff. None of which looked bad, the fuel was all
clear and their was only a little black in the primary filter. I took
the fuel return line off (where the rubber line connects with the steel line that returns to the tank) and pumped on the hand pump until I pumped
about a pint of fuel through with no air bubbles after the filter changes. No leaks present anywhere. I had a buddy come and double check my work on the valve adjustment I had done and it all looked good. Cleaned the electrical connections to the starter and grounding straps. I am using a deep cycle marine battery and even jumping that with another vehicle to make sure I have plenty of juice.

I also noticed there is no more white smoke coming from the exhaust
when I crank it over. If I crack an injector line to make sure there
is fuel present there, how much fuel should I expect to see flowing out? (I regret to say I even tried squirting some diesel into the intake to get the car to start, but it had no effect.)

Still no go, so I plugged in the block heater for a couple hours and then pushed the thing down a couple big hills by my house. This is an auto tranny, but I was told I could still roll start it. Turned the key to position 2 and rolled it up to 30 mph. I put it in second ....but nothing happened. The car continued to roll as if it was in neutral. What am I missing here???

I am working on locating a compression tester. What other chain car
part stores besides AutoZone do a tool rental program for me to check
with? (Autozone told me they don't have a diesel compression tester.)

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be complete. Any advice is much appreciated.

Glenn