View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 08:42 PM

Question 190E 2.6 - transmission won't shift - please read!!!

My transmission wore out. The red fluid turned to brown mud and tranny started slipping really bad. I changed fluid 4 times to get rid of mud but my problems only got worse. This is a transmission in a 1989 190E 2.6 with only "one kick-down solenoid in the rear. I replaced it with a tranny out of a 1990 190E 2.6 that has "two" kick-down solenoids(one in front and one in back). My problem is--my 1989 only has one wire hookup and the 1990 needs two wire hookups. I hooked up the one kick-down in the rear but left the kick-down in the front unhooked(because there is not a wire to hook it to). The tranny will shift from low to first gear with the gear shift in low but will not upshift any further when I move the shifter up to drive. I hooked up the front kick-down and left the rear kick-down unhooked and had the same results. I changed the modulator valve with no success either. That is where I'm stuck at. I firmly believe the 1990 tranny is good but now I'm not sure if this 1990 tranny will work in 1989 car. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!