Thread: CD vs records
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 11:28 PM

I think the whole thing is over rated and mostly marketing hype. I've got several thousand LP's and a few hundred CD's so obviously I'm more into vinyl. I'd never go out and spend the money to get a good turntable set up nowadays, but I've got records from when I was a kid that are still good. Back then a Hi-Fi was a geek deal like puters are today and guys are still tweaking that old stuff to good advantage.
There were great recordings made in the late fourties and early fifties (mostly jazz) that are fantastic, and there is also so good recent stuff - not much vinyl. Lots of the old stuff is just not on CD. I've got Billy Holiday - monophonic - "Body and Soul" that's just killer done in 1948 I think, but the most recent - other than some custom re-pressings and specialty blues stuff is "Dead Can Dance" - that's what? 15 or more years ago. Good recordings sound best in the medium they were recorded in and vinyl is always a second step away from tape while digital can be straight to ..--.-. but ..-.--. is a visual thing - sound is an analogue thing. There can be an edge to digital because it perfectly records a lot of inaudible highs, and the old tube tape masters totally miss it.
It's just that good recordings sound good - some were analogue, some are digital and none were 60's RR - ever heard a good "Yardbirds" - all was just done to sound good on an AM radio in a parked car with one crumby speaker.
Tubes vs. SS over rated, but there's a little magic in glowing tubes. If I really get picky I drive my woofers with a NAIM 250 and the mids and tweeter arrays with tweaked out tube gear. Still I'm always changing tubes and they're only on infrequently. The NAIM's been recapped once, but essentially has been bullet proof for nearly thirty years.
63 Bug sunroof
85 Jeep CJ7
86 Chevy 6.2l diesel PU

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
Marcus Aurelius