Thread: CD vs records
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 01:47 PM

Money has got to be an issue tho, doesn't it? A better turntable can bring more out of old vinyl, but they still have to be near pristine. It's very hard to find good stuff at the used record stores anymore and new vinyl will run $20/30, and I see stuff like MFSL's going for $50 to several hundreds. So an investment in a LP playback system can get pretty pricey if you don't have an existing collection in very good condition. I've seen these almost modest $5,000 table,arm,cartridge setups with maybe 40/50 LP's on the shelf. Seems a little misguided when a very good CD player can be had for a grand or so.
I bought an LP-12 used years ago, gone through a couple of arms and I get queezy when I think what it has represented in $$ over time, along with the associated collection of pre-amps, and phono stages. When I see what people get into this stuff for nowadays it takes my breath away vs. maybe a CD based system that can be $10,000 total. Then again some great times my wife and I had searching through the bins at "Record Surplus", but last time I was there the goodies were just not there anymore.
63 Bug sunroof
85 Jeep CJ7
86 Chevy 6.2l diesel PU

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
Marcus Aurelius