View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 06:24 PM

I have done this task, but it was a long time ago and I don't recall every detail.

What I do recall is this. You remove the ashtray and go in through there. I don't recollect exactly what is involved in pulling the ashtray. Quite possibly you remove the wood shifter surround from the center console - open the cupholder door, grab it, and yank up. I *think* that will expose some screws which permit you to remove the entire ashtray assembly from the car.

You then insert your hand into the not-quite-gaping hole to access the back of the upper compartment where the remainder of the phone resides. There are tabs back there that you release, and the entire piece slides out, wooden door and all. Once this piece is out of the car, the mobile phone head unit removes out the back - there are some small tabs holding it in place.

If you know what you are doing, this is a five minute job. Best figure on 30 minutes, and bring a good light.

BTW, once you remove the phone head unit, you'll have a gaping hole in there. That space inside the storage compartment is filled with a plastic insert that was removed and discarded when the phone was installed. And MB doesn't sell said part separately. Don't ask how I know this.

Give it a shot. I'm sure at least some of the above is wrong; I did this once , probably in 1998. But it's a simple task, you'll be able to figure it out.

- JimY