View Single Post
Old 06-22-2001, 11:06 AM
Razorback Soccer Dad
Rog, I feel for you on the Jaguar issue. It was a love/hate relationship.

I too owned a Jag...a beautiful teal blue 1992 XJS V12 convertible with the camel interior and top. Even procured some chromed factory wheels from the dealership.

The car was purchased for my wife as a driver, but I convinced her at one time to enter it into a Jaguar car show in the concours class. It took a 99.64 out of 100, good enough for fourth place.

I was smitten by the car, except that it lived in our garage one week, and the dealership in the other week. Sometimes I would take the car in when the "check engine" light went on, only to bring it home the same day, and have it come right back on when I pulled it into the garage.

Not a single electrical problem was spared, and nearly every A/C component needed attention at one point or another. In the four years we owned it, we put about 12K additional miles on it, but the repair tab was up to $6000! It would have been more, except that the warranty covered the first two years of that period.

Finally, after getting the news of having to replace an alternator, and evaporator to the tune of $3600 parts and labor, I just had to let it go.

I felt bad trading her in, and she did look beautiful, but came back home on my wife's birthday with her replacement...a white Mercedes-Benz 500SL...which has yet to have any of the problems that plagued the old Jag...

By the per the other posts in this thread, the W124 chassis is a good choice. Ours is a daily driver, and I love it!!!
2009 ML350 (84K) - Family vehicle
2001 CLK430 Cabriolet (71K) - Wife's car
2005 BMW 645CI (124K) - My daily driver
2012 Mustang V6 (60K) - Daughter's car