View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 10:48 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoon
I hooked up the battery charger last night. This morning same thing but I didn't crank the motor. I turned the key back and forth without cranking and all the lights lit up and I was able to start w/ just a touch of the starter motor.
I don't think it is the ignition switch as the door locks and interior lights were not working.
I tightened the main ground strap but that looked like it had a good connection.
Is there some main breaker or fuse off the battery? All the fuses in the fuse box look OK. I replaced all the small fuses when I bought the car about a month ago.
I keep selling the simplicity of diesels to all who are willing to listen...and I make it a point to tell them that a diesel will even run w/ electrical systems disconnected....I need to get this sorted before anyone discovers I am having 'electrical' issues w/ a diesel.
How many AMPS is your battery charger?
A seriously sulfated battery can eat 25 - 50 AMPS per hour during cold weather, and never charge.

Step #1. Take the car to your local Sears and have them test the battery and charging circuit.

Step #2. Post results.

Prototype R&D/testing:
Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering (TASE) Senior vehicle instrumentation technician.
Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).
Dynamometer.
Heat exchanger durability.
HV-A/C Climate Control.
Vehicle build.
Fleet Durability
Technical Quality Auditor.
Automotive Technical Writer

1985 300SD
1983 300D
1984 190D
2003 Volvo V70