View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 06:01 PM

1984 190e >250K Sudden loss of power and higher RPM's

Yesterday while I was driving to work at ~80mph, my 190e suddenly lost power. I drifted to the right lane, and was just at my exit. The engine idles smoothly, and has diminished but still moderate and smooth power through ~2500 RPM. Above that it sputters, and will produce no power. I checked the obvious items, to no avail. I checked the airflow sensor transmitter with an ohmeter, and it has a smooth resistance curve. The throttle valve switch has no continuity that I can discern, nor a resistance curve as a throttle position sensor should. I have appropriate fuel pressure, though I have been unable as of yet to monitor that with the engine running at various loads. I'm inclined to believe that fuel starvation may play into this situation, but am perplexed as to how that would have suddenly occurred since there has never been any inclination to suspect any problems prior to this. Under load, the engine will ping loudly if the throttle plate is opened more that what the engine is capable of running at. Please advise if I am missing anything obvious, or if you have any suggestions, PLEASE advise.