View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 04:30 AM

I'll try to get it REALLY clean Sunday afternoon. I sprayed it with degreaser and hosed it down at the car wash earlier this week and still got nowhere near all the gunk off.

Two things that I can say:

1. When I park it, there are two leaks, one in a half-moon shape (so to speak) right under the oil pan, in the very shape of the pan's rim. I'm hoping that's the oil pan gasket leaking and not some major leak above running down to that point and just dripping over the rim. (Although it's very dirty above the pan; blown up there during driving?)

2. The fastest leak when freshly full of oil and engine idling is a steady stream (not just a drip) seemingly running straight downward from the vicinity of the air cleaner, back nearer the firewall on the passenger side. But when I pull the air cleaner off I don't really see a potential source. ... There is light oil residue inside the air cleaner in the vicinity of the cyclonic separator, and some inside the turbo intake tube from the air cleaner. But not a lot. ... Unless I'm completely imagining things, this rearward leak becomes only a drip (but a fast one) as the oil level in the system steadily drops.

Thanks for the help. I think the turbo pipe isn't leaking and I think the valve cover gasket IS, but a seep and not this blowout level. Or maybe I'm wrong and the back passenger-side corner of that valve cover gasket is simply gone or something.
-- 1983 300D, acquired 10/19/2005 at 215,000+ turbodiesel miles ... engine croaked almost immediately ... back on the road at 217,210 with a 144K turbo motor from a donor '85. ... May 2007, replaced radiator. ... Now (2/28/08) about 240K miles and dead due to battery?