Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion > Alternative Fuels

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 82
wiring into the ashtray region

Well I'm pretty much up and running now also. After just over a month of running a single tank conversion I decided to add a second tank. I installed and plumbed the tank last weekend and hooked up the pollack one night after work this week. Works like a charm. So much smoother on cold starts. I used the stock tank for biodiesel (which I can buy locally here at retail for about the same as petroleum diesel) and use that for the startup. In the trunk I mounted a 19 gallon tank so I should need to fill up less than once per week.

Only thing is that once I got my pollack connected up I was in a big hurry to be able to use it so I just mounted to switch under the hood. It's a bit inconvenient to say the least. I took my ashtray out tonight to see about running my switch into the ashtray region as an interim measure (final config will be EGT, boost gaue and second tank fuel gauge mounted there, along with switches for the pollack and proximity regulator which is yet to be installed). For now I just want to run 4 wires into this area from the engine compartment... Maybe it'll be clearer tomorrow when it's light, but at the moment I'm having a hard time seeing how to run those wires in there.

Andy would you mind telling me how you ran the wires for your switch? I want to mount mine in about the same place. Thanks!
__________________
1987 300 SDL (200k)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-22-2005, 01:34 AM
1985 300SD Sady's Avatar
Star Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_M
Well I'm pretty much up and running now also. After just over a month of running a single tank conversion I decided to add a second tank. I installed and plumbed the tank last weekend and hooked up the pollack one night after work this week. Works like a charm. So much smoother on cold starts. I used the stock tank for biodiesel (which I can buy locally here at retail for about the same as petroleum diesel) and use that for the startup. In the trunk I mounted a 19 gallon tank so I should need to fill up less than once per week.

Only thing is that once I got my pollack connected up I was in a big hurry to be able to use it so I just mounted to switch under the hood. It's a bit inconvenient to say the least. I took my ashtray out tonight to see about running my switch into the ashtray region as an interim measure (final config will be EGT, boost gaue and second tank fuel gauge mounted there, along with switches for the pollack and proximity regulator which is yet to be installed). For now I just want to run 4 wires into this area from the engine compartment... Maybe it'll be clearer tomorrow when it's light, but at the moment I'm having a hard time seeing how to run those wires in there.

Andy would you mind telling me how you ran the wires for your switch? I want to mount mine in about the same place. Thanks!
I first simply drilled a hole right under the ashtray where I could see that the metal was the thinest. I had seen this done before in someones pictorial. THen I just ran the wires from the pollak in the engine compartment to the hole (located above the tranny so drill CAREFULLY!)

I used some silicone to seal it off. A grommet would be ideal. Also, I want to get some plastic loom type stuff to guard it better from the horrors the undercarrige goes through. Luckly after double checking everything it worked the very first time, and is very reliable to date.

Last edited by 1985 300SD Sady; 08-01-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Southernstar's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 196
I have collected parts etc too and am about to make the switch. Hopefully, everything will go smoothly. Being in Birmingham, I am going to just use my one fuel tank. Hopefully, it would only be effected for a couple of months. It really doesn't get that cold here. I plan on mixing rug with the wvo and using it.

Charlie
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 300SD Sady
I first simply drilled a hole right under the ashtray where I could see that the metel was the thinest. I had seen this done before in someones pictorial. THen I just ran the wires from the pollak in the engine compartment to the hole (located above the tranny so drill CAREFULLY!)

I used some silicone to seal it off. A grommet would be ideal. Also, I want to get some plastic loom type stuff to guard it better from the horrors the undercarrige goes through. Luckly after double checking everything it worked the very first time, and is very reliable to date.
Did that this morning it worked out beautifully. So now I have my switch within easy reach, and I'm in business. It now justs sits there in place of the ashtray so it's ugly as sin but I want to just leave it like this while I take my time fabricating a decent looking gauge (and switch..) panel to go in place of the ashtray. I figure that'll have my secondary fuel gauge, boost gauge, and pyrometer. Still not sure if I want to attempt to stain that thing to match the rest of the wood in the car or just cover the panel in leather that matches my interior. I'm leaning toward the leather because I figure there's no way I'm gonna match the wood exactly, but with the leather I stand a chance at least. Anyway thanks for the tip - it worked great!

Charlie
__________________
1987 300 SDL (200k)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-22-2005, 06:00 PM
crx crx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 39
You used to open the hood everytime you had to switch from Diesel to WVO?
Wow that sounds like a major pain in the rear end. Good to see you got a switch in now!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Posts: 7
Sady,
How does your system purge? Do you switch to diesel before you shut down? I'm having problems with a GreaseCar kit conversion on my '76 300D, and I'm trying to troubleshoot.

--steve
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by crx
You used to open the hood everytime you had to switch from Diesel to WVO?
Wow that sounds like a major pain in the rear end. Good to see you got a switch in now!
Ya... it WAS a major pain. I guess you had to be there... it was the kind of thing where I got the tank installed last Sunday afternoon, then plumbed it, then it was getting late and I thought that's as far as I would get for that weekend and just pick it up the following weekend. But then I started looking at places to mount the pollack, drilled a couple holes, got it into place and realized... well OK it's getting late but if I run a power, ground, and then stick the switch in under the hood I can actually use the system starting tomorrow morning! So I went for it. Only drove it that way for about 6 days. My weather and driving habits are such that I only need to switch it twice each day: once from bioD to WVO after a couple minutes warming up on bioD in the morning and once from WVO to BioD in the evening on the way home to purge for the following morning's startup. I usually take the car out for lunch so I actually have no need to purge it druing the day - fires right up nice and smooth. It's only my cold morning starts that are a drag if I don't purge. That of course may change as we get into december. Bay area weather is not actually cold, but it's far from warm in december and january, and may drive some changes in the way I have to do things.
__________________
1987 300 SDL (200k)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-23-2005, 03:07 PM
1985 300SD Sady's Avatar
Star Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebee
Sady,
How does your system purge? Do you switch to diesel before you shut down? I'm having problems with a GreaseCar kit conversion on my '76 300D, and I'm trying to troubleshoot.

--steve
I just have a six port pollak and I flip the switch back to diesel a few seconds before shutdown. Its never not started.

I was doing some thinking and I have determined that some of my diesel goes back into my veg tank because i do not have a looped return.

Soon (when I get some more $$$) I will make it so that you can switch between a looped or a return lined return for veg.

Also, usually, I can get in the car, and flip the switch before I even start the car. It has always run normally on startup and shutdown although Im having some slight troubles with fuel flow through the filter, I would recamend a coolant heated filter or one with a larger surface filtering area.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biodiesel and WVO - SVO links thread. whunter Alternative Fuels 240 12-22-2010 12:51 PM
Procedure for Replacing Neutral Safety Switch on 126 Chassis downeyjc Tech Help 2 06-20-2008 01:47 AM
'84 NA 300D WVO Conversion photos TonyFromWestOz Alternative Fuels 1 12-29-2006 10:14 PM
Changed the belt driven fan switch today 190D22 Diesel Discussion 0 04-08-2004 11:58 PM
I was the fan switch today 190D22 Diesel Discussion 2 03-26-2004 05:44 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page