Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion > Alternative Fuels

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 76
Thoughts on running WVO/RUG blend and using inline heater?

I know the benefit of using WVO/RUG blend is a single-tank system. However, I was wondering if it would be an improvement to use an inline heater as well? I was looking at using a Racor inline fuel filter/water separator with a built-in 24V heater. I know I would have to come up with 24V for the heater.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 362
I have had similar thoughts

and was about to set it up on one of our farm tractors but had planned to utilize coolant heat by way of an HIH heat exchanger.

I am conservative in most respects and therefore had also planned to use a separate tank and filter for the wvo to avoid any down time if filter plugged or to enable an easy switch to dino when weather turns cold.

We have done some experimenting with a 20/80 blend in one of the tractors (fed from a temporary, strapped on tank). We ran under medium load for about eight hours and although all appeared to work fairly well, the blend seemed plenty thick to be running through the IP, idle was uneven, and even in 80 degree weather and it didn't start as quickly as on dino.

Jim
__________________
2005 C240 4matic wagon (daily driver)
87 190D - 225K (on loan)
85 190D - 312K (on loan)
2011 Subaru Legacy AWD (Wife's)

Last edited by jaoneill; 08-25-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-25-2005, 04:49 PM
coachgeo's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: TX between Dallas and OK
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaoneill
...We have done some experimenting with a 20/80 blend in one of the tractors (fed from a temporary, strapped on tank). ..Jim
What kind of tractor engine? Is it a DI or IDI orr?? Is the pump a lucas/cav type or a bosch type?
__________________
"If anyone knows other lessons I need to learn, please tell me. I'm tired of learning them the hard way".
by JerryBro


The Glow Plug Wait: This waiting period is a moment of silence to pay honor to Rudolph Diesel. The longer you own your diesel the more honor you will give him". by SD Blue

My normal daily life; either SNAFUed- Situation Normal... All Fouled Up, or FUBARed- Fouled Up Beyond All Repair

62 UNIMOG Camper w/617 Turbo, 85 300SD daily driver- both powered by blended UCO fuels
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 362
Tractor is a 1984 "Sweet Alice" 6080 - engine is an Allis-Chambers 433T, (I believe it is direct injection), Roosa Master IP, turbo-charged and intercooled.
__________________
2005 C240 4matic wagon (daily driver)
87 190D - 225K (on loan)
85 190D - 312K (on loan)
2011 Subaru Legacy AWD (Wife's)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Matt SD300's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaoneill
and was about to set it up on one of our farm tractors but had planned to utilize coolant heat by way of an HIH heat exchanger.

I am conservative in most respects and therefore had also planned to use a separate tank and filter for the wvo to avoid any down time if filter plugged or to enable an easy switch to dino when weather turns cold.

We have done some experimenting with a 20/80 blend in one of the tractors (fed from a temporary, strapped on tank). We ran under medium load for about eight hours and although all appeared to work fairly well, the blend seemed plenty thick to be running through the IP, idle was uneven, and even in 80 degree weather and it didn't start as quickly as on dino.

Jim
If you think a 2 tank system is going to prevent CLOGGED filters...YOUR in for a BIG SUPRIZE!

Fact: 20/80 RUG/WVO blend is LESS likely to clog filters than HEATED WVO. Trust me I know

My Mercedes starts a little less smooth on the blend, On the other hand my Cummins starts the same as when started on Diesel The Cummins does not have glow plugs but a intake heater.

If your Tractor has a CAV IP pump you better be careful they dont like WVO.
Bosch inline IP pumps work great for WVO.
__________________
Matt (SD,CA)

1984 300SD.. White/Chrome Bunts..Green

1997 2500 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins 12 Valve 36 PSI of Boost = 400+hp & 800+tQ .. ..Greenspeed

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 H.O "596hp/1225tq" 6 spd. Man. Leather Heated seats/Loaded..Flame Red....GREENSPEED

Global warming...Doing my part, Smokin da hippies..

Fight the good fight!......

Last edited by Matt SD300; 08-25-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Matt SD300's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaoneill
Tractor is a 1984 "Sweet Alice" 6080 - engine is an Allis-Chambers 433T, (I believe it is direct injection), Roosa Master IP, turbo-charged and intercooled.
Sounds like you need to change your fuel filters & maybe turn up your idle for Rug/Wvo use
__________________
Matt (SD,CA)

1984 300SD.. White/Chrome Bunts..Green

1997 2500 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins 12 Valve 36 PSI of Boost = 400+hp & 800+tQ .. ..Greenspeed

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 H.O "596hp/1225tq" 6 spd. Man. Leather Heated seats/Loaded..Flame Red....GREENSPEED

Global warming...Doing my part, Smokin da hippies..

Fight the good fight!......
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-26-2005, 07:40 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 362
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt SD300
If you think a 2 tank system is going to prevent CLOGGED filters...YOUR in for a BIG SUPRIZE!



Fact: 20/80 RUG/WVO blend is LESS likely to clog filters than HEATED WVO. Trust me I know



My Mercedes starts a little less smooth on the blend, On the other hand my Cummins starts the same as when started on Diesel The Cummins does not have glow plugs but a intake heater.

If your Tractor has a CAV IP pump you better be careful they dont like WVO.
Bosch inline IP pumps work great for WVO.

I am looking to prevent DOWNTIME while doing fieldwork, separate tank and filter = ability to easily switch back to dino and motor on.

This is an interesting fact that I wasn't aware of, but this thread was about providing some heat with a blend, NOT heated wvo.

Ok, what is a CAV IP pump?

Jim
__________________
2005 C240 4matic wagon (daily driver)
87 190D - 225K (on loan)
85 190D - 312K (on loan)
2011 Subaru Legacy AWD (Wife's)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-27-2005, 11:45 AM
TonyFromWestOz's Avatar
"The Wizard of Oz"
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 834
Jim,
The CAV Injector pump is made in Britain and is an IP which has a history of failure when used with Used Cooking Oil. Most often these fail by siezing the piston and shearing off the drive shaft.
They may also be badged as a "Lucas".
These can only be reliably used with a 2 tank, fully heated UCO conversion and ensuring that cold UCO cannot enter, or be present in, the IP.
Regards,
Tony
__________________
Tony from West Oz.
Fatmobile 3 84 300D 295kkm Silver grey/Blue int. 2 tank WVO - Recipient of TurboDesel engine.
Josephine '82 300D 390kkm White/Palamino int.
Elizabeth '81 280E, sporting a '79 300D engine.
Lucille '87 W124 300D non-turbo 6 cylinder OM603, Pearl Grey with light grey interior


Various parts cars including 280E, 230C & 300D in various states of disassembly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page