Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion > Alternative Fuels

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Matt SD300's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 276
WVO is SIMPLE!!! But YOU MUST follow the RULES!!

#1.Your WVO MUST START AS PURE VEGGIE OIL...Canloa,Soy,Peanut,Cottonseed!!!!!!!!

NO CREAMY...Part.Hydrogenated Oil....NEVER,NEVER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry Guys, but the posts below with all kinds of problems with WVO is because they BROKE RULE #1!!!!!!!!!! The Diesel engine was built to run on veggie oil...........NOT ON GREASE!!! GET IT????... NO GREASE FOR FUEL!!!

#2 YOU MUST let your WVO sit for at least a day or more.YOU MUST cold filter your WVO. Ok, I will say it again YOU MUST COLD FILTER your WVO!!!


#3 NO PUMPING WVO OUT OF 55 gal. DRUMS THAT SIT OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!
Make sure your WVO GO'S straight from the fryer to a bucket or the cubie that it came from!!!

If anyone needs HELP getting started on WVO. Email me with a Phone# and I WILL HELP YOU get started on TROUBLE FREE WVO!!

NEVER USE OIL THAT HAS ANY TALLOW AT THE BOTTOM!!.. Heres what GOOD oil looks like The pic. also shows it being dewatered by being heated by the sun :
Attached Thumbnails
WVO is SIMPLE!!! But YOU MUST follow the RULES!!-p1010463.jpg  
__________________
Matt (SD,CA)

1984 300SD.. White/Chrome Bunts..Green

1997 2500 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins 12 Valve 36 PSI of Boost = 400+hp & 800+tQ .. ..Greenspeed

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 H.O "596hp/1225tq" 6 spd. Man. Leather Heated seats/Loaded..Flame Red....GREENSPEED

Global warming...Doing my part, Smokin da hippies..

Fight the good fight!......

Last edited by Matt SD300; 11-03-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Austin85's Avatar
Smells like Diesel..
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boca Raton, Fl
Posts: 2,723
Arrow

Hey Matt What's up?
I finaly got #3 down. Sushi Yama is emptying fryer into 5 gallon pails for me, and calling me to pick 'em up. Found out from cook that they have 2 fryers, one for meats, and one for just veggies.....Some places may have 2 seperate if they're sensitive to vegetarians.....You just gotta ask....

Not many will have the warm weather for dewatering in the sun.....I know we haven't in a couple of weeks. Any other suggestions?
__________________
'87 924S
'81 280SEL

Sold ->

81 300SD -
93 300E w/ 3.2
85 300D-
79 300SD
82 300CD
83 300CD - CA
87 190E 5 spd
87 Porsche 924S

"..I'll take a simple "C" to "G" and feel brand new about it..."

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Diesel Giant's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Loganville/Atlanta
Posts: 2,156
Hey that oil looks mighty yummy!
__________________
1981 300D 147k
1998 VW Jetta Tdi 320k
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 141k
1979 300D 234k (sold)
1984 300D "Astor" 262k(sold)
Mercedes How-To and Repair Pictorials
I love the smell of diesel smoke in my hair
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-03-2005, 11:09 PM
whunter's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 17,357
Will they listen?

Will they listen?
You are saying don't blame WVO for wrecking the injection pump, because they collected dumpster sludge?
__________________
ASE Master Mechanic
asemastermechanic@juno.com

Prototype R&D/testing:
Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering (TASE) Senior vehicle instrumentation technician.
Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).
Dynamometer.
Heat exchanger durability.
HV-A/C Climate Control.
Prototype Vehicle build.
Prototype Fleet Durability
Prototype vehicle instrumentation.
Technical Quality Auditor.
Automotive Technical Writer

1973 300D
1973 309D - stolen
1978 280SE
1980 240D
1983 300D
1984 190D

Last edited by whunter; 11-03-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-03-2005, 11:17 PM
whunter's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 17,357
Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt SD300
Sorry Guys, but the posts below with all kinds of problems with WVO.
YOU MUST COLD FILTER your WVO!
What posts below?
Please define COLD = what range please...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-2005, 11:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wakefield, RI
Posts: 2,145
I have Dana Linscotts plans, all of them, and he makes no mention of cold filtering. He does recommend clean oil that is not solid at room temps or moderately low ambient temps but the stuff that is solid will still work its just harder to work with. A properly constructed WVO two-tank system should heat the WVO plenty to allow it to flow. If the WVO was collected, filtered, even warm, and properly dewatered then there should be no reason to not use it. The enemy is water and crud not necessarily fats that are solid at room temps. As long as it flows well from being thinned out by the heat exchangers..... That being said, blending is a different issue. I have run cold filtered clean WVO blended in the work truck and MB without issue at 50%. RT
__________________
When all else fails, vote from the rooftops!
84' Mercedes Benz 300D Anthracite/black, 171K
03' Volkswagen Jetta TDI blue/black, 93K
93' Chevrolet C2500HD ExCab 6.5TD, Two-tone blue, 252K
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-03-2005, 11:47 PM
whunter's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 17,357
Is this one of the links you refer to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whunter
What posts below?
Is this one of the links you refer to?

Big Problem with fat in IP!!
Big Problem with fat in IP!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Matt SD300's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwthomas1
I have Dana Linscotts plans, all of them, and he makes no mention of cold filtering. He does recommend clean oil that is not solid at room temps or moderately low ambient temps but the stuff that is solid will still work its just harder to work with. A properly constructed WVO two-tank system should heat the WVO plenty to allow it to flow. If the WVO was collected, filtered, even warm, and properly dewatered then there should be no reason to not use it. The enemy is water and crud not necessarily fats that are solid at room temps. As long as it flows well from being thinned out by the heat exchangers..... That being said, blending is a different issue. I have run cold filtered clean WVO blended in the work truck and MB without issue at 50%. RT

Cold filtering IS the way to filter WVO either way!!

WHY not remove as much FAT as you can?????????????? Whats the perk?? Clogged filters? Fat slim in the tank? Slimed fuel lines & list go's on.................Dana's Plans..How much?? :LOL......... USE YOUR HEAD!!

If using WVO for blending It MUST be cold filtered!! What does that mean? Filter it a at night or early morning the lowest temp of the day. By doing so you WILL filter alot more FAT out of the oil!!
__________________
Matt (SD,CA)

1984 300SD.. White/Chrome Bunts..Green

1997 2500 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins 12 Valve 36 PSI of Boost = 400+hp & 800+tQ .. ..Greenspeed

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 H.O "596hp/1225tq" 6 spd. Man. Leather Heated seats/Loaded..Flame Red....GREENSPEED

Global warming...Doing my part, Smokin da hippies..

Fight the good fight!......
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Matt SD300's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin85
Hey Matt What's up?
I finaly got #3 down. Sushi Yama is emptying fryer into 5 gallon pails for me, and calling me to pick 'em up. Found out from cook that they have 2 fryers, one for meats, and one for just veggies.....Some places may have 2 seperate if they're sensitive to vegetarians.....You just gotta ask....

Not many will have the warm weather for dewatering in the sun.....I know we haven't in a couple of weeks. Any other suggestions?
Hi Austin,

If there is no sun you will have to warm the WVO to 90 deg. for about 6-8 hours to dewater it (with the caps off). Build a" Big Wood box" to hold a about 6 buckets /cubies. But a vent on the top to let hot air to escape. Place a small room heater in the box. That should dewater the WVO just fine.
__________________
Matt (SD,CA)

1984 300SD.. White/Chrome Bunts..Green

1997 2500 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins 12 Valve 36 PSI of Boost = 400+hp & 800+tQ .. ..Greenspeed

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 H.O "596hp/1225tq" 6 spd. Man. Leather Heated seats/Loaded..Flame Red....GREENSPEED

Global warming...Doing my part, Smokin da hippies..

Fight the good fight!......

Last edited by Matt SD300; 11-04-2005 at 09:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-04-2005, 12:08 AM
mac2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 227
Rule #2 & #3 are dead on and can't be broken. #1 I disagree with and it can be bent and indeed broken but it requires a great deal of work. I get some partially hydrogenated soy and I run it all the time however one must let it sit for one week and preferably in a cool setting. Most of the fat will settle out and then you can filter the clean top layer. Gravity filter cold 25-10-1 micron series. By the time I'm done filtering my oil looks as good as any there is. Secondarily while it's filtered at around 55f or lower I keep the tank at around 175f. I have not had any problems at all with this strategy.

Nothing should have to go to waste.


Flame on....
__________________
'84 190d 2.2 - Silver
Converted to 5-Speed
'84 190d 2.2 - Blue
Factory 5-Speed

'76 300D (W115)
Sold, found again in less auspicious circumstances
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Matt SD300's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2
Rule #2 & #3 are dead on and can't be broken. #1 I disagree with and it can be bent and indeed broken but it requires a great deal of work. I get some partially hydrogenated soy and I run it all the time however one must let it sit for one week and preferably in a cool setting. Most of the fat will settle out and then you can filter the clean top layer. Gravity filter cold 25-10-1 micron series. By the time I'm done filtering my oil looks as good as any there is. Secondarily while it's filtered at around 55f or lower I keep the tank at around 175f. I have not had any problems at all with this strategy.

Nothing should have to go to waste.


Flame on....
I agree,

WITH A "HOT" 2 Tank WVO system. #1 can be bent... But why chance it?????

Plenty of GOOD oil out there! "If it's got FAT throw it BACK" LOL!
__________________
Matt (SD,CA)

1984 300SD.. White/Chrome Bunts..Green

1997 2500 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins 12 Valve 36 PSI of Boost = 400+hp & 800+tQ .. ..Greenspeed

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 H.O "596hp/1225tq" 6 spd. Man. Leather Heated seats/Loaded..Flame Red....GREENSPEED

Global warming...Doing my part, Smokin da hippies..

Fight the good fight!......
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-04-2005, 12:46 AM
mac2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt SD300
But why chance it?????
Life on the wild side!

or perhaps the unreliable side

WVO and biodiesel is getting to fashionable in Oregon, I'm fighting farmers who want the stuff for their tractors!
__________________
'84 190d 2.2 - Silver
Converted to 5-Speed
'84 190d 2.2 - Blue
Factory 5-Speed

'76 300D (W115)
Sold, found again in less auspicious circumstances
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-04-2005, 12:48 AM
Austin85's Avatar
Smells like Diesel..
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boca Raton, Fl
Posts: 2,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt SD300
Hi Austin,

If there is no sun you will have to warm the WVO to 90 deg. for about 6-8 hours to dewater it (with the caps off). Build a" Big Wood box" to hold a about 6 buckets /cubies. But a vent on the top to let hot air to excape. Place a small room heater in the box. That should dewater the WVO just fine.
This is after filtering, or does it matter???
__________________
'87 924S
'81 280SEL

Sold ->

81 300SD -
93 300E w/ 3.2
85 300D-
79 300SD
82 300CD
83 300CD - CA
87 190E 5 spd
87 Porsche 924S

"..I'll take a simple "C" to "G" and feel brand new about it..."

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-04-2005, 12:51 AM
arcticathlon's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Richmond, Tx
Posts: 1,119
please dont think that the IP thing had anything to do with me. my friend and i both have been going at the whole WVO thing from two completly different angles. He is the type of guy that just because it looks clean, will dump it into his tank, or does not make any measurements and just assumes that he will get it right the first time.

i am paranoid about how clean my oil will be when it enters my tank. i cold filter only, because it catches much of the fat that during the day is still in more of a liquid form bypassing the filters. i have settled my last 4 barrels for over 2 months and used bag filters to filter down to 1 micron.

even thogh my oil comes with very little fat, i am considering switching sources if i can find a cleaner one. do most mexican restaurants just fry chips. i would think that that oil would be cleaner, and have less fat in it. but then again why would they use expensive oil for that purpose.

what places have given you guys the cleanest oils?
__________________

Grey '91 350SDL 214k
Beige '81 240D 4 Speed 254k
Blue '82 300D 225k
White '95 E300D 46k SOLD
Blue '87 190D 2.5 Turbo 315k SOLD
Brown '80 240D 4 Speed 716k SOLD
Beige '80 300D N/A 119k SOLD
Blue '85 300D Model 186k T-Boned
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-04-2005, 12:57 AM
mac2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticathlon
i am paranoid about how clean my oil will be when it enters my tank. i cold filter only, because it catches much of the fat that during the day is still in more of a liquid form bypassing the filters. i have settled my last 4 barrels for over 2 months and used bag filters to filter down to 1 micron.
That's the right attitude. I use three grav. filters, a filter on my barrel pump, and three in-line on the car. Your friend screwed up because everything hot off the fryer looks good and while it's hot none of the fat is caught by the filter. It'sthe stuff you can't see that you should be most worried over.
__________________
'84 190d 2.2 - Silver
Converted to 5-Speed
'84 190d 2.2 - Blue
Factory 5-Speed

'76 300D (W115)
Sold, found again in less auspicious circumstances
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page