Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion > Alternative Fuels

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 198
Biodiesel question for old300d

The 300sd is put away for winter. Last fall I ran 50/50 mix of WVO and diesel with no problems. I started making biodiesel around 2 months ago. I have not run any yet,just putting it in 55 gal barrels until spring. It is so easy to make bio is the way to go---My question is-can I run 100% bio in the 300sd with no problems? And I have time and a heated shop,should I change any rubber hoses before I run bio?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Diesel Giant's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Loganville/Atlanta
Posts: 2,156
I would go ahead and replace all the old fuel hoses and injector return lines to get started off right. Running 100% bio they will last several years when new. Don't bother with the expensive vitron hoses. Most bio diesel complaints of leaking were due to the hoses being old to start off with. All rubber hoses that touch any fuel will deterortate and need to be replace every few years.

Check out my pictorial on which hoses to change out.

http://dieselgiant.com/mercedesfuelhoseinstall.htm
__________________
1981 300D 147k
1998 VW Jetta Tdi 320k
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 141k
1979 300D 234k (sold)
1984 300D "Astor" 262k(sold)
Mercedes How-To and Repair Pictorials
I love the smell of diesel smoke in my hair
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2005, 06:50 PM
vwoodruff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
The more you rinse that stuff the better. The unreacted methanol deteriorates rubber. If you start replacing rubber, don't forget the hose that leaves the tank!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2005, 06:50 PM
TheDon's Avatar
Open Discussion Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,212
make sure to store your bio in dark dry places.. and fill the drums all the way up to minimize air space in the drums. maybe some additives so it wont turn while storing.. i duno but put em in the dark and dry area
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Geographically challenged on the S.W shores of Lake Michigan in S,E Wisconsin
Posts: 1,160
not certain on the shelf life of bio d but i have heard 60 days. my bio is used in three cars at this house so 5 gallon cubies go quickly.
__________________
currently
[1981 300 td tdidi 165500 dark brown/palamino-Brownie-mine-3k miles of ownership
1983 240d 162+++ Anthricite grey w/ henna red interior and hella lights-wifes car-Red

the above two cars are for sale
and can be seen on the cars for sale thread here. pix also available.


240d-144+ Manilla Yellow w/ palmino interior-greasecar kit-Blondie-the college kids car

23" gt 21 speed still on original tires-still got the nubs
21" khs tandem
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2005, 08:01 PM
TheDon's Avatar
Open Discussion Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,212
nah you can store it for a while just fill the drum up all the way to minimize air space and keep it in a dark warm and dry place. and it should last longer than .. 60 days
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2005, 02:16 AM
Old300D's Avatar
Biodiesel Fiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave300d
The 300sd is put away for winter. Last fall I ran 50/50 mix of WVO and diesel with no problems. I started making biodiesel around 2 months ago. I have not run any yet,just putting it in 55 gal barrels until spring. It is so easy to make bio is the way to go---My question is-can I run 100% bio in the 300sd with no problems? And I have time and a heated shop,should I change any rubber hoses before I run bio?
Yes, B100 no problems. I have replaced all my old rubber hoses with viton, but you can replace them as they develop leaks. Are you washing the biodiesel? If so, no worries about methanol, most of it is gone in the first wash.
__________________
'83 240D with 617.952 and 2.88
'01 VW Beetle TDI
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD
'89 Toyota 4x4, needs 2L-T
'78 280Z with L28ET - 12.86@110
Oil Burner Kartel #35

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...oD/bioclip.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Old300D's Avatar
Biodiesel Fiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-240D
not certain on the shelf life of bio d but i have heard 60 days. my bio is used in three cars at this house so 5 gallon cubies go quickly.
B100 will store for 6 months no problem.
__________________
'83 240D with 617.952 and 2.88
'01 VW Beetle TDI
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD
'89 Toyota 4x4, needs 2L-T
'78 280Z with L28ET - 12.86@110
Oil Burner Kartel #35

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...oD/bioclip.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 198
No I am not washing the bio.I have heard that if you do not wash it you will have less problems with alge. Do you run 100% bio? Do you wash your bio?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Old300D's Avatar
Biodiesel Fiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave300d
No I am not washing the bio.I have heard that if you do not wash it you will have less problems with alge. Do you run 100% bio? Do you wash your bio?
In warmer weather I run B100; not now, it will be -10F tonight, and a high of 10F tomorrow. Brrrr!

Yes, I wash my B100. Unwashed idles very poorly and stinks of alcohol (and methanol is toxic). Don't know about little creatures in my fuel, I burn it too fast. I've only changed one fuel filter since I went to B100, last year when I put the 617.952 in the car, and I've not plugged any.
__________________
'83 240D with 617.952 and 2.88
'01 VW Beetle TDI
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD
'89 Toyota 4x4, needs 2L-T
'78 280Z with L28ET - 12.86@110
Oil Burner Kartel #35

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...oD/bioclip.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-07-2005, 02:40 AM
Elktonjohn's Avatar
On Home-Brewed B-100
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Shenendoah Valley, Virginia
Posts: 146
I've been playing with 2 liter batches of biodiesel for a while now and I think I finally have it right. I've got my titrations down using phenylthaline because I'm too cheap for a didgital pH meter...probably lame but I do get a clean crack in the 2 liter batches. I find that after 6 liters of water in a bubblewash, the 2 (almost) liters of biodiesel are as clean as possible and I've plumbed my 300 SD to run off a 2 liter bottle of my b100 and it likes it fine. So, I can make little batches, it seems to be right and washes clean...my benz ran on it so am pretty jazzed but now what? Im just not sure where you proceed to next. I looked at some of the "reactors" out there, namely the Appleseed and the Deep-Thort designs but don't know where else to look for good ideas, and really nobody to talk to about this. I could really use some advice from someone with experience...any thoughts on what I ought to be thinking about next? Also, will 3 washes ( by volume ) clear out all the Methanol and all the lye leaving only the esters?
__________________
1983 300SD... 269,000 miles, nearly 2,500 on my B-100, Faded Grey, Ugly in an elegant sort of way...Duh-Benz


If any of this has been a blasphemy to you, then good, because it's been a blast for me to...A.Whitney Brown
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Biodiesel300TD's Avatar
|3iodiesel300T|)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old300D
In warmer weather I run B100; not now, it will be -10F tonight, and a high of 10F tomorrow. Brrrr!
Old300D out of curiosity, what are you runnning right now if not B100? I am running B75 with a temp range of 10F-30F, and she starts right up with no problems.
__________________
Andrew
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon
'82 300TD ~ Winnie ~ Sold
'77 300D ~ Sold
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Old300D's Avatar
Biodiesel Fiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodiesel300TD
Old300D out of curiosity, what are you runnning right now if not B100? I am running B75 with a temp range of 10F-30F, and she starts right up with no problems.
Approximately B50 with diesel, some anti-gel, and some UEO. I'm not having any issues with the cold, I'm just shivering. Before dilution of my B75 with more diesel, my mixture was good to 10F, I pumped in some more stinky stuff just for peace of mind.
__________________
'83 240D with 617.952 and 2.88
'01 VW Beetle TDI
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD
'89 Toyota 4x4, needs 2L-T
'78 280Z with L28ET - 12.86@110
Oil Burner Kartel #35

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...oD/bioclip.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Old300D's Avatar
Biodiesel Fiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elktonjohn
I've been playing with 2 liter batches of biodiesel for a while now and I think I finally have it right. I've got my titrations down using phenylthaline because I'm too cheap for a didgital pH meter...probably lame but I do get a clean crack in the 2 liter batches. I find that after 6 liters of water in a bubblewash, the 2 (almost) liters of biodiesel are as clean as possible and I've plumbed my 300 SD to run off a 2 liter bottle of my b100 and it likes it fine. So, I can make little batches, it seems to be right and washes clean...my benz ran on it so am pretty jazzed but now what? Im just not sure where you proceed to next. I looked at some of the "reactors" out there, namely the Appleseed and the Deep-Thort designs but don't know where else to look for good ideas, and really nobody to talk to about this. I could really use some advice from someone with experience...any thoughts on what I ought to be thinking about next? Also, will 3 washes ( by volume ) clear out all the Methanol and all the lye leaving only the esters?
You don't need to look beyond an Appleseed design -- it works great and is the lowest cost of anything.

3 washes will get rid of all your methanol. If your water is milky, it will still have soap in it, and will take longer to dry. Clear water after significant agitation means no more soap, and it will dry quickly.

And don't bother with a pH meter. Turmeric or phenylthalein work better and are cheaper.
__________________
'83 240D with 617.952 and 2.88
'01 VW Beetle TDI
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD
'89 Toyota 4x4, needs 2L-T
'78 280Z with L28ET - 12.86@110
Oil Burner Kartel #35

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...oD/bioclip.jpg
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page