Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Car Audio and Multimedia

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 28
2004 CL500 Blue-tooth adapter installation

Greetings, I recently bought a blue-tooth adaptor for my CL500. The car does not have a phone installed, but it's pre-wired.
From the bits here and there I gather that it's a 15-minute deal to install it (part number B6-7-87-5855).

1. Would anyone happen to have instructions on how to install it into 2004 CL-class?
2. Does anything else have to be configured (like command DVD unit)? I have recently had the latest software upgrade on the command DVD unit.
3. I am techically inclined, should I try it myself, or should I just take it to the dealership for installation? (The reason I am asking is that I bought it through a friend who has a discount there, and it would be a bit odd to show up at the service department with a unit in a box).

Thank you kindly for your help
__________________
2004 CL 500
1992 400 SE
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Albuquerque, NM USA
Posts: 1,946
"Prewired" in most Mercedes instances means there's a wire harness preinstalled that runs between the box of electronics in the trunk (not preinstalled; called "linear compensator") to the phone cradle in the console (also not preinstalled).

Read about all this here
http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phone%20Install%20Bulletins/CL%2004.pdf

Once the components at each end of the existing harness are installed, you can then click your bluetooth adapter into the phone cradle and be ready to go. This assuming you still have your original radio/command, of course.

Note that the installation instructions combine phone installation with voice control installation--installation of latter is not mandatory AFAIK IF CL is like other Mercedes.

Folks at http://www.wireless4mb.com can help over phone, but I believe the hardware has to come from a dealer.

I'd recommend a visit to a dealer to discuss what needs to happen should you not yet have a complete phone components installation. If it can still be done, it won't be particularly cheap and there's some possibility parts are no longer available. The world of Mercedes cars phones is moving very fast.
__________________
Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI, '06 SLK350
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 28
While you might be correct, take a look at this link:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/pdf/B67875855.pdf

It's the bottom one "***** with a wire", I saw it called on other web sites.
I am now wondering, from which step in your guilde should the installation of a bluetooth adaptor start. I am sure that all those extra things need not to be installed, like Linear Compensator, Voice Control System, etc, since they are already preinstalled for the TeleAid
__________________
2004 CL 500
1992 400 SE
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-23-2008, 12:23 PM
ILUVMILS's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,620
The wiring you're looking for is beneath the center console. The BT adaptor just plugs in. The Linear Compensator isn't needed because the vehicles' antenna system isn't used during BT phone operation.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Albuquerque, NM USA
Posts: 1,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by bells_77 View Post
While you might be correct, take a look at this link:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/pdf/B67875855.pdf

It's the bottom one "***** with a wire", I saw it called on other web sites.
I am now wondering, from which step in your guilde should the installation of a bluetooth adaptor start. I am sure that all those extra things need not to be installed, like Linear Compensator, Voice Control System, etc, since they are already preinstalled for the TeleAid
That's good information--wireless4mb needs to update its website.
__________________
Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI, '06 SLK350
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMILS View Post
The wiring you're looking for is beneath the center console. The BT adaptor just plugs in. The Linear Compensator isn't needed because the vehicles' antenna system isn't used during BT phone operation.
So I can just open the center console (my understanding that it's in the false "floor" between the upper and lower center console compartment), plug it in, and >voila<?
The most important question to me is whether there is a need to enter some code into the Command unit to activate the feature, reset it, or do anything of that sort. I spoke with a service advisor, and he told me that it would be 1 hr. worth of labor, which to me sounds like a little *stealership* to open a center console, plug the thing in and turn the car on.... That's more like 30 minutes of labor....

Iluvmils, should i just do it myself, or should I bite the bullet and have it done at the stealership (my command unit was updated to the latest software level about 3 weeks ago).
__________________
2004 CL 500
1992 400 SE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-24-2008, 12:22 PM
ILUVMILS's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by bells_77 View Post
The most important question to me is whether there is a need to enter some code into the Command unit to activate the feature, reset it, or do anything of that sort. I spoke with a service advisor, and he told me that it would be 1 hr. worth of labor, which to me sounds like a little *stealership* to open a center console, plug the thing in and turn the car on.... That's more like 30 minutes of labor....

Iluvmils, should i just do it myself, or should I bite the bullet and have it done at the stealership (my command unit was updated to the latest software level about 3 weeks ago).
If you think paying for thirty minutes of labor is "biting the bullet", nothing I say will change your mind. However, you may want to ask your SA what exactly is included in the price you were quoted. There may be some additional version coding in the Communications Platform required. The only way to find out for sure, is to have it checked.

The way I see it, you've got two choices. You can let the "stealership" do it, and if there's any problem, it'll be theirs, not yours. Or, you can do it yourself, and hope it works. If you have any problem though, you'll be forced to pay the "stealership" to fix it.

Either way, good luck with the project.


Sincerely,
ILUVMILS
MB "stealership" employee since 88'
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 28
Thank you for the advice, I will go do it at the service dept. I hope you do not take offense to *stealership* part, just that I had a bad experience with it in the past. Connecticut
__________________
2004 CL 500
1992 400 SE
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-24-2008, 10:24 PM
ILUVMILS's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by bells_77 View Post
Thank you for the advice, I will go do it at the service dept. I hope you do not take offense to *stealership* part, just that I had a bad experience with it in the past. Connecticut
No offense taken. Believe me, I understand why MB dealers have the reputation they have, but we're not all bad. From reading your comments in the thread you refer to, I can see your point of view.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page