PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum (
-   Detailing and Interior (
-   -   Protective "Film" (

Eddie 05-24-1999 09:24 AM

I have had a problem with some rock chips on my '99ML320. I think my wife drives the car too hard and too close to others through new residential areas we live near. Anyway, I was told that the protective "films" sold by 3M can really help this problem and they can be professionally installed for about $250. Has anyone had any experience with these. My car is black and I have gotten a great wet look shine through using the Meguires Gold-class combo. How do these do with no reducing the shine? Do you wash and wax them like normal? Does dirt stick more or less to the film? I wouldn't consider using this on my black '99 CLK320, but the ML is getting kinda beat up. Also, any thoughts on how this could effect resale (in 4-5 years)? Can this stuff be removed easily?

Any help is appreciated.


Lee Scheeler 05-24-1999 11:23 PM

I am not familiar with that product. You might also want to consider a "bra" or similar device for the front of your ML. You should be able to find them at any offroad accesory shop or at your local dealership.

Good Luck...Lee

Bill Conroy 05-27-1999 06:53 PM


This protective film 3M makes works very well and unless you get real close, you can't even tell it is on. Wash and wax your SUV like normal.

Here is MN the winters are real hard on car bodys. The sand that the DOT puts on the roads in the winter turns to sand blasting come spring. I can only imagine that 4-5 years later, your resale value will increase if only because there are no rock chips on the paint.

The one caveat is that you want a professional to apply the product. It is not a do it yourself item. Take care of your ML320 and I'll want to buy it when you are through with it!


Eddie 05-28-1999 02:39 PM

It's a deal! I think with your comment, I will go for the film. I gotta do something about this rock thing before it really starts to depress me.


olc 05-29-1999 02:02 PM

What kind of shop does one go to to look for this film? I get lots of rock chips on my front end and on the areas just behind the wheels.

R.Swearingen CLK 05-29-1999 10:53 PM

The product I've seen on the web is called stongard. I've never seen it on an auto although the concept seems sound enough.

Bill Conroy 05-31-1999 11:22 PM


I would think that a quality aftermarket installer of glass tinting film, etc. would carry this. Another option would be to call 3M directly at 1-800-3M HELPS, or 651-737-6501. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

I believe Stoneguard is made by another manufacturer. 3M is major supplier to the automotive industry. This film is already applied on many makes and models of cars near the rocker panels, rear wheel wells, etc.

I am thinking of having this film applied to a replacement set of euro headlights. My first set of euro lights have lasted three years, but rock chips have claimed the glass lens on both sides. (What an expensive lesson to learn!).

Take care and good luck!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website