PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/)
-   Detailing and Interior (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/detailing-interior/)
-   -   removing pin strip (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/detailing-interior/144367-removing-pin-strip.html)

nombmechanic 02-01-2006 09:19 PM

removing pin strip
 
how do I best remove the aging pinstrip on my 91560SEL?

Strife 02-02-2006 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nombmechanic
how do I best remove the aging pinstrip on my 91560SEL?

If it is taped on (it should be obvious if it is or not), it can be removed with a special eraser, kind of a block of beige rubbery material, sold at art stores. They sell something like this on a wheel for body shops to use (you can find this on eBay). In inexperienced hands, I think that the wheel might go through the paint, but you could buy the wheel and hook it up with a drill and check it out. Doing it just by hand with the wheel would be slower, but safer.

I removed mine with the eraser described above, wax, and the edge of an old CD-ROM; it was slow and tedious, but I did it without having an unfortunate incident.

Do you plan on replacing it?

Two560Two 02-02-2006 08:54 AM

If its a stick on pin stripe. DO NOT use a razor blade. I did that on my previous 420 and I eneded up scratching some of the paint. but usually, once you get a little bit out, you can pull the rest out.

nombmechanic 02-02-2006 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strife
If it is taped on (it should be obvious if it is or not), it can be removed with a special eraser, kind of a block of beige rubbery material, sold at art stores. They sell something like this on a wheel for body shops to use (you can find this on eBay). In inexperienced hands, I think that the wheel might go through the paint, but you could buy the wheel and hook it up with a drill and check it out. Doing it just by hand with the wheel would be slower, but safer.

I removed mine with the eraser described above, wax, and the edge of an old CD-ROM; it was slow and tedious, but I did it without having an unfortunate incident.

Do you plan on replacing it?

I don't know yet until I remove it...I want to see how it looks first

5280BENZ 02-02-2006 11:00 AM

I purchased the following from the local NAPA store:
3M: Scotch-Brite Molding Adhesive and Stripe Removal Disc-4"x3/8"-part# 07501.
Another brand: Astro Pneumatic Tool Co.-"Smart Eraser" Pad-part # 400E.
You could also try to warm the tape/stripes with a heat gun/hair drier and gently lift and pull the material off. If you have a "painted-on" stripe then that's certainly a different situation.:men_ani:

rg2098 02-02-2006 11:19 AM

My paint looks great but there are a few spots where the pin stripe have come off (1 cm here or there) and you can see that the paint has faded some. Just be aware that you might have a slightly darker spot were the stripe was.

Strife 02-03-2006 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rg2098
Just be aware that you might have a slightly darker spot were the stripe was.

This is why I was asking if the stripe was going to be replaced!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website