Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 703
Cam gear missing the tips of some teeth!

I decided to change the timing chain on my car because it has 167K and I have no idea if it was ever changed. So I take off the valve cover to inspect everything and I notice that several of the cam gear teeth are missing the tips. It appears that the tips broke off leaving a jagged edge. I have two concerns now; do I bother trying to find the teeth (I don't have a clue how I would find them) since the engine is running good and can I change the cam gear by just pulling it off the cam and putting a new one on? I just wanted a new chain! Arrrgh.
__________________
1987 300SDL 167k
1992 Volvo 740 140k
1990 Volvo 740 250k
1989 Volvo 240 269k

Anyone want to trade an old Volvo for an '87 300sdl?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-03-2005, 08:04 PM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
how many miles on the engine?
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheaddoctor
how many miles on the engine?
167,000 miles of lackluster maintenance.
__________________
1987 300SDL 167k
1992 Volvo 740 140k
1990 Volvo 740 250k
1989 Volvo 240 269k

Anyone want to trade an old Volvo for an '87 300sdl?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-03-2005, 08:12 PM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2MB
167,000 miles of lackluster maintenance.
I ask becasue if they wore enough to break off the crank pully likely looks as bad...

however I doubt the cost and effort to replace that one too will be worth it...definately replace the cam sprocket and the timing chain along with the tensioner, depends on how many miles you expect it to last if you want to do the crank sprocket too.


Seriously worn sprockets will wear a chain prematurely......something to think about...
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheaddoctor
I ask becasue if they wore enough to break off the crank pully likely looks as bad...

however I doubt the cost and effort to replace that one too will be worth it...definately replace the cam sprocket and the timing chain along with the tensioner, depends on how many miles you expect it to last if you want to do the crank sprocket too.
I'm putting alot of time into the car so I might be willing to pull the engine to get the crank sprocket. What do you think the odds are of the crank sprocket being damaged? Ever heard of anyone doing it with the engine in the car or is that impossible?
__________________
1987 300SDL 167k
1992 Volvo 740 140k
1990 Volvo 740 250k
1989 Volvo 240 269k

Anyone want to trade an old Volvo for an '87 300sdl?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-2005, 08:19 PM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2MB
I'm putting alot of time into the car so I might be willing to pull the engine to get the crank sprocket. What do you think the odds are of the crank sprocket being damaged? Ever heard of anyone doing it with the engine in the car or is that impossible?
never tried so I can't answer that....wait for a few opinions...Engatwork, LarryBible, Leathermang and Whunter are a couple that come to mind that have been inside these repeatedly....I trust their opinions...
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheaddoctor
never tried so I can't answer that....wait for a few opinions...Engatwork, LarryBible, Leathermang and Whunter are a couple that come to mind that have been inside these repeatedly....I trust their opinions...
Appreciate the honesty, thanks for the help.
__________________
1987 300SDL 167k
1992 Volvo 740 140k
1990 Volvo 740 250k
1989 Volvo 240 269k

Anyone want to trade an old Volvo for an '87 300sdl?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-03-2005, 08:51 PM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2MB
Appreciate the honesty, thanks for the help.
In case you don't have a "REAL" manual try this site if you havent already. I don't consider Haynes a real manual.



http://skinnerbox.steaky.org
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-04-2005, 08:19 AM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Bumping this since the pros have missed it...
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-04-2005, 08:32 AM
dannym's Avatar
I'm not here
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 2,360
Just out of curiosity, how much chain stretch have you measured?
167K isn't really a whole lot for that chain. A visual inspection of the chain and an accurate measurement of stretch will give you an idea of where you stand instead of just throwing parts at it.
There is tons of information on timing chains in the archives. Here are a few to get you started:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=96572

617 '05' Camshaft Specifications:

Q on timing chain stretch...

W123 Timing Chain Stretch

Whether you decide to replace the chain or just add an woodruff key at least now you'll be informed.

Quote:
and can I change the cam gear by just pulling it off the cam and putting a new one on? I just wanted a new chain! Arrrgh.
You don't need to remove the cam to replace the sprocket. There are directions in that on-line manual BHD posted.

Danny
__________________
1984 300SD Turbo Diesel 150,000 miles

OBK member #23

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: RI shore
Posts: 2,937
I hesitate to comment because my experience lies with the 617, but I expect some similarity. While it might be possible to do that in the car, I wouldn't want to. On the 617, the oil pump chain is outboard of the timing chain. Do you have another vehicle to drive for a few months? Do you have at least a 1/2 decent place to work with a poured or paved surface? If so, I'd pull the powertrain in one piece. I've done that at least 3 times and it's not too bad.

No matter what, I'd drop the lower oil pan and inspect everything. You should be able to see the crank sprocket. It's pitch diameter is exactly half of the cam sprocket. Check the oil pump sprockets and chain too.
__________________
'82 300SD - 361K mi - "Blue"

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

listen, look, .........and duck.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Burton
I hesitate to comment because my experience lies with the 617, but I expect some similarity. While it might be possible to do that in the car, I wouldn't want to. On the 617, the oil pump chain is outboard of the timing chain. Do you have another vehicle to drive for a few months? Do you have at least a 1/2 decent place to work with a poured or paved surface? If so, I'd pull the powertrain in one piece. I've done that at least 3 times and it's not too bad.

No matter what, I'd drop the lower oil pan and inspect everything. You should be able to see the crank sprocket. It's pitch diameter is exactly half of the cam sprocket. Check the oil pump sprockets and chain too.
This is my project car and I have the facilities to pull the powertrain. In fact I have to pull the tranny for a rebuild anyway. I didn't want to do it but what the hell, it's been a few years anyway. That online manual is all broken links, at least for my model.
__________________
1987 300SDL 167k
1992 Volvo 740 140k
1990 Volvo 740 250k
1989 Volvo 240 269k

Anyone want to trade an old Volvo for an '87 300sdl?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: RI shore
Posts: 2,937
try this link for manual: http://mb.braingears.com
__________________
'82 300SD - 361K mi - "Blue"

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

listen, look, .........and duck.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 703
So if I was really stubborn about pulling the engine, does anyone have any idea what the odds are of the crank gear also being damaged? Some people I talked to are telling me that it is alot less likely to be damaged than the cam gear. If I pull the engine then I will obviously have to rebuild the whole thing ('cause it's already out) and I wouldn't mind putting a few more miles on it before that. Opinions welcomed.
__________________
1987 300SDL 167k
1992 Volvo 740 140k
1990 Volvo 740 250k
1989 Volvo 240 269k

Anyone want to trade an old Volvo for an '87 300sdl?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-04-2005, 10:44 AM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2MB
So if I was really stubborn about pulling the engine, does anyone have any idea what the odds are of the crank gear also being damaged? Some people I talked to are telling me that it is alot less likely to be damaged than the cam gear. If I pull the engine then I will obviously have to rebuild the whole thing ('cause it's already out) and I wouldn't mind putting a few more miles on it before that. Opinions welcomed.
I like to use a motorcycle analogy here....(from visibility stance)

sprockets wear...you need to replace them when they do as they will kill a good new chain in short order....

if one has worn enough for tips to break odds are good the other one is pretty well worn too.


The crank sprocket will have had twice as much chain pass by it than the cam....(being the cam roates at 1/2 crank speed , but it sees more oil......)
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page