Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Commonwealth Of Kentucky
Posts: 194
How come nobody offers a turbo kit for a 240D anymore?

I seem to remember ads in Car & Driver, Road & Track, ect... back in the 70s and early 80s for a aftermarket turbo kit for the 240Ds. If ANY engine needs one, this would be it.

It don't look like the hardest thing to stick a turbo on, and I'd think there would be a market (however) small for one, worldwide.

I mean, seriously, Edelbrock makes aluminum heads for 351C/351M/400s which they made for 10 years tops (4 years for the 351C), they make stuff for AMCs, OLD Buick and Pontiac engines they havn't had forever, even old Cadiliacs (intakes).

You'd think somebody could make a turbo kit for a 240D and make a profit without it costing 10K, wouldn't you?
__________________
In the house of the hanged, nobody talks about the rope.

1973 Ford Maverick
1977 Ford F150 shortbed stepside ripping 429
1978 Ford F150 shortbed stepside 4x4
1979 Ford F100 'Free Wheeling' shortbed stepside
4 more 73-79 Ford parts trucks
1988 BMW 735iL
1994 BMW 540i
1992 Mercedes 190E 2.3

http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,352
Do a search on Ghurka (username sp?). He has a 616 turbo from Tempo in India. They currently produce them.
There are also British aftermarket turbo companies that make turbos for the 616. There are lots of those engines in trucks and motorhomes in Europe. IfIf you're seriously interested I can dig up the website, but I've posted it here before.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-17-2005, 07:27 PM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah
I seem to remember ads in Car & Driver, Road & Track, ect... back in the 70s and early 80s for a aftermarket turbo kit for the 240Ds. If ANY engine needs one, this would be it.

It don't look like the hardest thing to stick a turbo on, and I'd think there would be a market (however) small for one, worldwide.

I mean, seriously, Edelbrock makes aluminum heads for 351C/351M/400s which they made for 10 years tops (4 years for the 351C), they make stuff for AMCs, OLD Buick and Pontiac engines they havn't had forever, even old Cadiliacs (intakes).

You'd think somebody could make a turbo kit for a 240D and make a profit without it costing 10K, wouldn't you?
It has a lot to do with the fact that the demand is so low and the fact that they were not engineerd to support a turbo.....no underpiston oil squirters, nitrided cranks etc.....

For example there is a huge difference between the turbo and the non-turbo OM617 engines.....I guarantee you there is a big difference between the current Indian Turbo OM616 engines adn the older 240D engines.
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Commonwealth Of Kentucky
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry edwards
Do a search on Ghurka (username sp?). He has a 616 turbo from Tempo in India. They currently produce them.
There are also British aftermarket turbo companies that make turbos for the 616. There are lots of those engines in trucks and motorhomes in Europe. IfIf you're seriously interested I can dig up the website, but I've posted it here before.
Oh yeah, I'd be interested. I wasn't sure if they were still in production, but I know Mercedes must have made millions of the 616s, worldwide. I figured SOMEBODY still had to make something for it.

With all the 240Ds running around for 500K-1 million miles and getting 45mpg, a turbo would be welcome for a little more power.

If you got a old 240D up to 90-100 ponies, it would feel like a pro stocker, compared to stock, lol. Seriously though, I wonder why Mercedes never offered a factory 616 turbo in the states?
__________________
In the house of the hanged, nobody talks about the rope.

1973 Ford Maverick
1977 Ford F150 shortbed stepside ripping 429
1978 Ford F150 shortbed stepside 4x4
1979 Ford F100 'Free Wheeling' shortbed stepside
4 more 73-79 Ford parts trucks
1988 BMW 735iL
1994 BMW 540i
1992 Mercedes 190E 2.3

http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Commonwealth Of Kentucky
Posts: 194
I don't think it's that big a deal (turbo on a non-turbo). I've played around with superchargers on mostly Ford V8s (351Cs, 351Ws, 302s, 429-460s, ect...) over the years, and while you won't be building a 100K engine (hot rods), a stock engine will take 4-5 pounds of boost without much issue.

The last 302 I built with a small B&M supercharger had cleaned up factory heads, good rod bolts, forged pistons, good exhaust, and little else. I drove that one over 80K with no issues, and made 200 passes on it, easy.

I figure with the typical diesel, I'm ahead of the game as most of that is already done. I mean, Banks made kits for Ford (well, International) 6.9s, 7.3s, GM 6.2s, ect... for years with no ill effects, so I figure a 616 shouldn't be that much different... as long as you don't go nuts with the boost.
__________________
In the house of the hanged, nobody talks about the rope.

1973 Ford Maverick
1977 Ford F150 shortbed stepside ripping 429
1978 Ford F150 shortbed stepside 4x4
1979 Ford F100 'Free Wheeling' shortbed stepside
4 more 73-79 Ford parts trucks
1988 BMW 735iL
1994 BMW 540i
1992 Mercedes 190E 2.3

http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-17-2005, 07:40 PM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah
I don't think it's that big a deal (turbo on a non-turbo). I've played around with superchargers on mostly Ford V8s (351Cs, 351Ws, 302s, 429-460s, ect...) over the years, and while you won't be building a 100K engine (hot rods), a stock engine will take 4-5 pounds of boost without much issue.

The last 302 I built with a small B&M supercharger had cleaned up factory heads, good rod bolts, forged pistons, good exhaust, and little else. I drove that one over 80K with no issues, and made 200 passes on it, easy.

I figure with the typical diesel, I'm ahead of the game as most of that is already done. I mean, Banks made kits for Ford (well, International) 6.9s, 7.3s, GM 6.2s, ect... for years with no ill effects, so I figure a 616 shouldn't be that much different... as long as you don't go nuts with the boost.
Well the Benz deiesl is more highly stressed and therfore less forgiving.

People have retrofitted the non-turbo OM617 with the IP and turbo setup...

and they lived fairly short lives.
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-17-2005, 07:57 PM
TheDon's Avatar
Open Discussion Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Windermere,FL
Posts: 13,205
just get a mitsubishi 16g turbo.. i see them slapped on everything and they make alot of boost.. not the regualr 16g but the big 16g found on the evo's and stuff.. they can be found cheap on DSM boards
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,352
Here you go:

http://turboboost.co.uk/TB%20Turbo.html

I can only find a 617 turbo conversion on the site right now, but I know they've sold 616 turbos inthe past. Perhaps the 616/7 are basically the same.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13

Last edited by kerry; 11-17-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milford, DE
Posts: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah
You'd think somebody could make a turbo kit for a 240D and make a profit without it costing 10K, wouldn't you?
I'd guess nobody makes one because most people that want a little more power from their Diesel Mercedes can buy a factory engineered turbo diesel for pretty much the same price as a 240D.

Trying to hop-up a 240D is an exercise in futility if I've ever heard of one.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,352
There were so many trucks and vans and their variations (buses and motorhomes) produced in Europe with the 616 that there was/is a very large market for making the engine a little more peppy. I talked to a gentlman on the ferry from Portsmouth to Roscoff who had a turbo installed on his 616 engine in his motorhome and was very happy with it.
Even when MB put the 617 in their trucks and vans, it was almost never turbocharged.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-17-2005, 08:23 PM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry edwards
There were so many trucks and vans and their variations (buses and motorhomes) produced in Europe with the 616 that there was/is a very large market for making the engine a little more peppy. I talked to a gentlman on the ferry from Portsmouth to Roscoff who had a turbo installed on his 616 engine in his motorhome and was very happy with it.
Even when MB put the 617 in their trucks and vans, it was almost never turbocharged.
Do a search...Mercedes made significant changes in the Turbo OM617......Internally. For durability reasons. Turbo a non-tubo OM617 and expect to grenade the engine well before its time.
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Commonwealth Of Kentucky
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFreeh
I'd guess nobody makes one because most people that want a little more power from their Diesel Mercedes can buy a factory engineered turbo diesel for pretty much the same price as a 240D.

Trying to hop-up a 240D is an exercise in futility if I've ever heard of one.
I like to play with this stuff, and if I get the cars, I'll have an extra 240D to experiment with. I've got some fast stuff, so I'm not worried about that either.

I'm just researching it now, but I think it would be a interesting challenge. How cheaply can I slap a turbo on a 616? Know what I mean?

BTW Kerry, those kits from across the pond are interesting, but are also around 3K (American). I know where I can get some cheap old turbos, intercoolers, ect... at, so I might persue this and see what happens. If not, no biggie. Again, to me, it sounds like a fun little project for this winter. Yeah, my 240D is faster then your 240D, lol. Not that that's saying much.
__________________
In the house of the hanged, nobody talks about the rope.

1973 Ford Maverick
1977 Ford F150 shortbed stepside ripping 429
1978 Ford F150 shortbed stepside 4x4
1979 Ford F100 'Free Wheeling' shortbed stepside
4 more 73-79 Ford parts trucks
1988 BMW 735iL
1994 BMW 540i
1992 Mercedes 190E 2.3

http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheaddoctor
Do a search...Mercedes made significant changes in the Turbo OM617......Internally. For durability reasons. Turbo a non-tubo OM617 and expect to grenade the engine well before its time.
I know all those differences. But the fact is that lots of people have put aftermarket turbos on those non-turbo engines in Europe and had good luck with them.
There was a 240d on Ebay in the US a couple of years ago with over 200k on an aftermarket turbo. So, while it might be better if starting from scratch, to modify the engine with oil squirters and hardened cranks, adding a turbo to an engine not designed for one, won't make the engine explode 100 miles down the road.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-17-2005, 08:42 PM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry edwards
I know all those differences. But the fact is that lots of people have put aftermarket turbos on those non-turbo engines in Europe and had good luck with them.
There was a 240d on Ebay in the US a couple of years ago with over 200k on an aftermarket turbo. So, while it might be better if starting from scratch, to modify the engine with oil squirters and hardened cranks, adding a turbo to an engine not designed for one, won't make the engine explode 100 miles down the road.
100 miles no.......20,000 or more yes...lot of people here have tried....and none have had happy stories to tell.

Hp per liter is higher than many of the domestic engines.....and explains why you can do it will no negative issues on a ford or GM....but the Benz has less safe range to play with before damage happens.

I'm not alone in knowing this.
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by boneheaddoctor; 11-17-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-17-2005, 11:38 PM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 30,773
for the cost of

turboing a 240 you can buy a 300 turbo car and switch over the engine and all the parts related and have a properly designed setup from the get go. note that when the factory wanted to offer more performance to the 240 they started by adding the fifth cylinder.

in addition to the things that bones mentioned when they turboed it they added the ribbed oil pan for extra strength, lengthened the nose on the crank, added a thicker harmonic balancer and installed a larger oil pump. and with all that the benz turbo engines still tend to need a head gasket at 250 to 300k. the non turbo motors tend to need one...............never.
(i refer to the 616 617)

remember when you blow one up it is not as cheap to rebuild than the 350 chebby. for the entire job on the chebby you just get the parts for the benz.

tom w
__________________
Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins& six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I am finishing a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual....I also have a Lotus 7 replica autocrosser with a modified K20 Acura engine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page