PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/)
-   Diesel Discussion (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/)
-   -   300SD brake rotors (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/140456-300sd-brake-rotors.html)

greasybenz 12-20-2005 03:31 AM

300SD brake rotors
 
Im going to put brand spanking new rotors on the front of my SD because its been harder to slow down even with new pads and the rotor on the car is the original one so its pretty worn.

Im looking at these and i like the $46 one that is sport vented with those lines drilled in are there any negative things about using those kind of rotors?

http://www.***************/search/productx.aspx?sid=dvqq2wjsmlxwini5zqranwfe&makeid=800016@Mercedes&modelid=1194027@300SD&year=1983&ci d=14@Brake%20%26%20Wheel%20Hub&gid=1896@Brake%20Disc/Brake%20Rotor

kmaysob 12-20-2005 03:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
these are pretty nice. i had a set of them on my old sd. once i get ahead in money again im gonna get a new set. your problem probly isnt the rotors. take a look at your calipers,hoses and maybe try changing the brake fluid and bleeding the system. the pic i attached i think is the best. i dont really like the cross drilled as they can crack at the holes and then they are worthless

Ara T. 12-20-2005 05:13 AM

How many miles has it been? The pads have to wear into the rotors before you get any decent stopping...

deerefanatic 12-20-2005 08:11 AM

They're great
 
I have em on the front of my 300SD, they work great. I can lock up the tires on dry pavement from 60 mph.

Use Pagid pads with em. They dust bad, but are soft and grab really hard.

Pete Burton 12-20-2005 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deerefanatic
I have em on the front of my 300SD, they work great. I can lock up the tires on dry pavement from 60 mph.

Use Pagid pads with em. They dust bad, but are soft and grab really hard.

I also have the ATE power discs w/Pagid pads, very happy. After a year or so, they still look and perform new. repack the bearings and replace seal while you are in there. A good soaking with PB blaster and rigid workbench makes removing these from the hub pretty easy, even if you live in Rustland.

RUN-EM 12-20-2005 08:48 AM

Going dustless.....a clue
 
Onna another Benz, I put new rotors and porterfield pads. And at the suggestion of Jerry Jones at FORMYMERCEDES.COM treated the disc with the cryogenic freeze bath. This re-orients the molecular structure of the disc. NASCAR does it on all their race cars. The result is that you will have much less dusting on the wheels and superior braking ability. Oh, yeah, on that car, I just have to clean and rewax the wheels about once each year. And it is so easy to clean them.....no scrubbing. Just soap them up and wash off.

Regards

Run-em

DieselJim 12-20-2005 08:50 AM

I second checking the callipers and brake lines and flush the fluid. I don't know about the pagid pads but textars are the preferred pad for optimum rotor life and excellent stoppping. I don't know how much difference quality of rotors means.

I don't know how different the steel alloys and thickness are. I usually buy the cheapest rotors but I spend a little extra on other parts of the system.

DieselJim 12-20-2005 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUN-EM
Onna another Benz, I put new rotors and porterfield pads. And at the suggestion of Jerry Jones at FORMYMERCEDES.COM treated the disc with the cryogenic freeze bath. This re-orients the molecular structure of the disc. NASCAR does it on all their race cars. The result is that you will have much less dusting on the wheels and superior braking ability. Oh, yeah, on that car, I just have to clean and rewax the wheels about once each year. And it is so easy to clean them.....no scrubbing. Just soap them up and wash off.

Regards

Run-em

Ok. so which dies faster in that system the rotors or pads? There is always a trade off. To get superior performance you decrease service interval of something.

DieselJim 12-20-2005 08:55 AM

A 300SD is not a performance car. Treat it like a baby. It is ok to drive it fast but you are not going SCCA racing. If you want brake dust to stay off your wheels you can find the dust guards. Worry about cryogenic if you are going to race a hot little c class or your e55 amg. just my $0.02

RUN-EM 12-20-2005 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselJim
Ok. so which dies faster in that system the rotors or pads? There is always a trade off. To get superior performance you decrease service interval of something.

So far, nothing has died. Have only put about 35 thou on the set up and the pads and rotors look new. The original disc/pads had about 32 thou on them and the reason they were changed was the stock disc was wearing at an alarming rate....looked to be about 1/4 inch on each side (inside and outside) of the disc. The pads were excessively worn also...just had about 1/4 inch or less of material on the steel back up. Mama Benz could have gotten a bad batch of disc that were too soft, that were wearing excessively, but I wanted the confidence of a better disc/pad combo than what I was experiencing. As far as I can tell, the sacrificial lamb on this set up is extra heat dispersed when you use the brakes hard. The pads and discs don't seem to wear much, but they do get hot and radiate lots of heat into the air.....noticed this once when I was re-checking the tire pressure. So far I'm in win-win situation.....better service life and better braking.

Regards

Run-em

DieselJim 12-20-2005 09:42 AM

Interesting. Liquid nitrogen is cheap. Wouldn't everyone cryo treat their brakes then. I still suspect if you measure you will find increased rotor wear. It is still fascinating. Not sure I would recommend it though. Just keep a sharp eye on your calliper and wheels. I don't think it should be excessive heat unless you are racing. I doubt the callipers could take the additional heat dispersal to see that kind of performance gain in intense stop and go driving.

DieselJim 12-20-2005 09:54 AM

Wow. I am impressed with the anecdotal stories. I may have to try that the next time I do a brake job. I would have never guess that cryo freezing the rotors would give you such a performance gain. I know how you heat treat metals but I don't remember in material science much about cryo treatment. I think I sold my material science book. If I still had it I would be checking it out.

DieselJim 12-20-2005 10:02 AM

This solution won't eliminate dust(will reduce it since it increases pad life). If I had this done I would have the brakes slotted and drilled as well. The price to do this seems reasonable. I'll take back my earlier comments. This seems to be a pretty straight material improvement. I would definitely do this if I ever get my S-Class or since the rotors for those suckers are so expensive and pads are expensive as well.

kmaysob 12-20-2005 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselJim
Wow. I am impressed with the anecdotal stories. I may have to try that the next time I do a brake job. I would have never guess that cryo freezing the rotors would give you such a performance gain. I know how you heat treat metals but I don't remember in material science much about cryo treatment. I think I sold my material science book. If I still had it I would be checking it out.

yea it does make them last longer. but the down side is the are a b*tch to cut. when we would turn a set that had been treated, we would go trough all three sides of a bit on one rotor.

Hatterasguy 12-20-2005 10:48 AM

ATE power discs are great! Another plus is that the slots seem to shed water very fast.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website