Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 01-17-2006, 05:10 PM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbrnr
Are you guys serious? It might not have body rust, but the interior is a nightmare. That thing has been rode hard and put away wet more than once!

You haven't spent much time in the Northeast have you?

The interiors are the last thing to go around here....
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Palmdale/Ventura, CA
Posts: 812
I agree on the interior. Did not like the look of it too much.
Wasn't torn up though. Just worn looking.

On the salvage title issue time frame - good question.
Don't know if it matters too much, but I have
stayed away from all salvage title vehicles.

A few years back I got a door dent while parked and the CA DMV made me do a salvage title. Even though I drove the car every day and was never
without the vehicle due to damage. During the inspection process
(paid for by me - thank you - $90) I got ordered to provide new brake
rotors and other repairs beyond the value of the car.
That car is now being driven by my nephew in another state
and has left CA for good.
(registration in the other state cost less than $25, no inspection needed)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Oilbrnr's Avatar
Koyaanisqatsi
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheaddoctor
You haven't spent much time in the Northeast have you?

The interiors are the last thing to go around here....
Enough to know what those old interiors smell like!
__________________
But what do I know...

1984 300SD 256k
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Hit Man X's Avatar
I LOVE BRUNETTES
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FUNKYTOWN
Posts: 8,908
Thumbs up

The salvage on the potential runner scares me too.

Interiors are inexpensive here. $300 for F/R seats.
__________________
I'm not a doctor, but I'll have a look.

'85 300SD
'87 300SDL
'89 300E
'90 300SEL
'91 560SEL

Eight others from IH, BMW, GM, Ford, and Volvo.

Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty.
[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Brandon314159
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodes2010
A few years back I got a door dent while parked and the CA DMV made me do a salvage title. Even though I drove the car every day and was never
without the vehicle due to damage. During the inspection process
(paid for by me - thank you - $90) I got ordered to provide new brake
rotors and other repairs beyond the value of the car.
That car is now being driven by my nephew in another state
and has left CA for good.
(registration in the other state cost less than $25, no inspection needed)
I found this irritating to read....can you say...money mongers?

I swear....horrible.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-17-2006, 11:23 PM
greasybenz's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodes2010
I agree on the interior. Did not like the look of it too much.
Wasn't torn up though. Just worn looking.

On the salvage title issue time frame - good question.
Don't know if it matters too much, but I have
stayed away from all salvage title vehicles.

A few years back I got a door dent while parked and the CA DMV made me do a salvage title. Even though I drove the car every day and was never
without the vehicle due to damage. During the inspection process
(paid for by me - thank you - $90) I got ordered to provide new brake
rotors and other repairs beyond the value of the car.
That car is now being driven by my nephew in another state
and has left CA for good.
(registration in the other state cost less than $25, no inspection needed)


Really??? When my mom got her front bumper ripped off,hood crunched in, radiator shoved onto the engine on her passat from a stupid driver! we just got the parts replaced and repairs done by my uncle and the car still has a clear title!
__________________
Current:
05 E320 CDI
07 GL320 CDI
08 Sprinter
05 Dodge Cummins
01 Dodge Cummins

Previous
2004 E55 AMG
2002 C32 AMG (#2)
1995 E300
1978 300D
1987 300D
2002 C32 AMG(blown motor :[
1981 300SD
1983 300SD
1987 300SDL
2002 Jetta TDI
1996 S420
1995 S500
1993 190E 2.6
1992 190E 2.3
1985 190E 2.3 5-Speed
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-17-2006, 11:30 PM
greasybenz's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon
i hate kalifornia.. funny thing when i used to live in connecticut id see all these cars id like for sale in florida.. then i move here and all the cars i want are back in connecticut or kalifornia
I love it here! i just hate our governator and our stupid laws against diesels and crap like that! But i like it here its fun and SF is the best

and California is so diverse so many different races its like a buffet we got chinese food, mexican food, american food, indian food, puruvian food, salvadorian food, the list goes on............
__________________
Current:
05 E320 CDI
07 GL320 CDI
08 Sprinter
05 Dodge Cummins
01 Dodge Cummins

Previous
2004 E55 AMG
2002 C32 AMG (#2)
1995 E300
1978 300D
1987 300D
2002 C32 AMG(blown motor :[
1981 300SD
1983 300SD
1987 300SDL
2002 Jetta TDI
1996 S420
1995 S500
1993 190E 2.6
1992 190E 2.3
1985 190E 2.3 5-Speed
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Professional smart ass
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 723
ahnuld.
__________________
"spreading a trail of obnoxious where ever we go"
1981 300sd w/ 341,500 miles

http://www.wecrash.com/pics/ddda_banner.gif
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,267
From a New England point of view a real rust free body is worth its weight in gold! I am not kidding if I wanted a project SDL I would pay $1,500 for that car with a blowen engine. Then find a rusted out local donor car with a perfect interior and driveline.

Also in my area SDL's are worth a lot! You can buy 300SD's for $500 all day long but I have never seen a local SDL for less then $4k. I have seen some $6,500 rust buckets that sold!!

350SDL's also have freaken amazing value. I was tempted to pay $4,500 for one that was perfect except the engine was about to blow. If I wanted another W126 I would have, throw $6k for a rebuild and you are still ahead.
__________________
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
Mercedes??

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-18-2006, 12:10 AM
mac2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterasguy
SOB why do the west coast guys get all the deals?
Depends where you are on the west coast. You can get great deals if you want to drive down to California but up farther north, say Portland or Seattle, there is serious price inflation. Seriously, there is a wreck (as in front end smashed) for sale on Craigslist for $1000. Good examples go for much higher, just put "Biodiesel" or "WVO" in the title. So many greasy dreamers (like me). Turbodiesel's of any type rarely show up for less than $2500.

Registration here is the lowest in the nation though AND there's no inspection. Few cars have rust either.
__________________
'84 190d 2.2 - Silver
Converted to 5-Speed
'84 190d 2.2 - Blue
Factory 5-Speed

'76 300D (W115)
Sold, found again in less auspicious circumstances
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page