Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Diesel Giant's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Loganville/Atlanta
Posts: 2,156
Yes we love scientific data
__________________
1981 300D 147k
1998 VW Jetta Tdi 320k
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 141k
1979 300D 234k (sold)
1984 300D "Astor" 262k(sold)
Mercedes How-To and Repair Pictorials
I love the smell of diesel smoke in my hair
  #17  
Old 01-21-2006, 10:02 PM
240Joe's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 525
What? Changing your dino oil every 1000 miles? I sure hope you meant every 10,000 miles. Every 1000 is just plain wrong.

Do a google search on bob the oil guy. There's lots of data there to support extended oil drain intervals.

Even if you like wearing suspenders with a belt, you can change it at 5000 with dino and easily 7500 with synethic.

I do 1 year or 15,000 miles change intervals on my 83 300D running synthetic. I stopped changing my oil at all in my 240D about 3 years ago. I just change the filter and top off the oil with diesel dino oil once a year....No problemo...

Joe
  #18  
Old 01-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Joe

I do 1 year or 15,000 miles change intervals on my 83 300D running synthetic. I stopped changing my oil at all in my 240D about 3 years ago.

...........and then we have those at the far opposite end of the spectrum.
  #19  
Old 01-21-2006, 10:40 PM
240Joe's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 525
Mr. Carlton,

Absolutely incorrect. This 3000 mile oil change myth that has been cultivated by the oil companies and the quick change ripoff places needs to die.

You need to do a little research. Remember also that the 5000 mile spec of these diesels was done with the quality of oil available in the 1980s. Oil technology has improved greatly in the last 25 years. I would guess that the improvements made in the oil itself would make a 10k miles dino oil change absolutely fine. And with synthetics, expecially the diesel synthetics that can really handle the soot, the sky's the limit.

Filter changes, of course, are needed.


Joe
  #20  
Old 01-21-2006, 10:51 PM
PNO TECH's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 70
Actually Joe, Brian IS correct: he merely intimated that you are on the "other end of the spectrum". Anecdotal evidence is not hard data; my car is still running after 3K+ on WVO/RUG, but that does not mean the mix does not harm it. Have you had the oil tested in the 240? What % soot?

'Show me the tech'!

Scot
__________________
"Be kind to thy ass for it bears thee" -John Muir

83 300TD & 84 300D

Last edited by PNO TECH; 01-22-2006 at 01:26 AM.
  #21  
Old 01-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Joe
Mr. Carlton,

Absolutely incorrect. This 3000 mile oil change myth that has been cultivated by the oil companies and the quick change ripoff places needs to die.

You need to do a little research. Remember also that the 5000 mile spec of these diesels was done with the quality of oil available in the 1980s. Oil technology has improved greatly in the last 25 years. I would guess that the improvements made in the oil itself would make a 10k miles dino oil change absolutely fine. And with synthetics, expecially the diesel synthetics that can really handle the soot, the sky's the limit.

Filter changes, of course, are needed.

I have two questions for you:

1) Have you done an oil analysis, at 15K, that gives you the percentage of soot in the oil?

2) What level of soot will you accept in this oil? If you honestly believe that the sky is the limit, then my discussion with you is over. Good luck with your engine.
  #22  
Old 01-22-2006, 12:50 AM
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
I have two questions for you:

1) Have you done an oil analysis, at 15K, that gives you the percentage of soot in the oil?

2) What level of soot will you accept in this oil? If you honestly believe that the sky is the limit, then my discussion with you is over. Good luck with your engine.
He must be using that magic oil that makes the soot disappear.
  #23  
Old 01-22-2006, 03:31 AM
300SDog's Avatar
gimme a low-tech 240D
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: central ky
Posts: 3,602
Krueger, the real question is how many miles are on that '77 300D of yours.

If its got more than 350k then changing to synthetic could shock the engine and wake up alot of oil leaks and remove important existing oil varnish deposits that are holding the engine together increasing clearances at wrist pins, bearings, valve guides, seals etc.

Conversion from Dino to Synthetic oil will immediately scour the engine clean, but maybe too clean.
  #24  
Old 01-22-2006, 10:58 AM
240Joe's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 525
But I am not at the opposite end of the spectrum, so he is incorrect. I'm in the middle somewhere. The far end of the spectrum never changes the oil, ever, and push filter changes to 25000 miles or higher. And those guy say they've never had oil related engine failures either.

The new diesel synthetics can handle 7.5 % soot. 15000 miles on a 300D isn't going to produce anywhere near that soot, probably more like 1 to 3 %.

And no, I don't do oil analysis, and never will. That just another worthless expense just like changing your oil every 1000 miles. You use the data that is available.

Again, the soot issue was the limiter about 5 or 6 years ago. However, oil technology to handle soot really improved then. Check the specs. You'll be amazed.

Old dogmas die slowly. It took centuries for people to believe the earth wasn't flat. I'm sure in a century or two most board members will have been converted to my way of thinking....

Joe
  #25  
Old 01-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Joe
The new diesel synthetics can handle 7.5 % soot. 15000 miles on a 300D isn't going to produce anywhere near that soot, probably more like 1 to 3 %.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Joe

I don't do oil analysis, and never will. That just another worthless expense just like changing your oil every 1000 miles.
Good luck with your engine.
  #26  
Old 01-22-2006, 01:39 PM
240Joe's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 525
Below is a typical OA with just 2324 miles on the oil. Check out the soot at 0.3%. Given you can go to 7.5% soot with the new diesel synthetics...well, I think you can do the math....

This preoccupation with soot only applies when using non-diesel rated oils.

Joe

1984 Mercedes Benz 300D
3/18/04 to 8/2/04
2324 miles on sample
157168 miles on unit
Pennzoil Long Life 15W-40 CI-4
Mann Filter
3/4 quart top off
5 oz. of Soyshield in each tank of polished fuel

Fe 10
Cr 0
Pb 1
Cu 2
Sn 0
Al 4
Si 7
Na 0
Mo 48
K 0

Viscosity at 100C. 13.6
Water 0.2
Soot 0.3
Fuel 0
Glycol 0

Oxid 1.7
Nirt 0
SAE 43
TBN 9.6

Analysis by Oilguard
  #27  
Old 01-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,267
Mental note never buy one of 240Joe's cars!

If I remember my grandfathers story back in the mid 80's one of his lawyers had a 300SD. Bought it new traded it at 25k miles and never popped the hood. I think he probably topped the oil off. It had a wicked rod knock at trade in time, dealer still gave him good money for it though.
__________________
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
Mercedes??

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson
  #28  
Old 01-24-2006, 09:03 PM
240Joe's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 525
Hatteras,

I'm sorry you can't differentiate between sound maintenance practices and complete stupidity.

I could try to explain, but I remember the story about the guy who tried to teach a pig to sing.

Joe
  #29  
Old 01-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Joe
I could try to explain, but I remember the story about the guy who tried to teach a pig to sing.

Joe
Refer to post #25.

We're done.
  #30  
Old 01-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Joe
Hatteras,

I'm sorry you can't differentiate between sound maintenance practices and complete stupidity.

I could try to explain, but I remember the story about the guy who tried to teach a pig to sing.

Joe

Careful there Joe, insulting a mod is not a good habit to get into if you want to continue on this forum.
__________________
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
Mercedes??

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Brian Carlton; 01-25-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page