Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 05-02-2006, 05:03 PM
TwitchKitty's Avatar
Just fix it
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Varies
Posts: 3,312
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_is_a_sucker_born_every_minute

Quote:
"There's a sucker born every minute" is a phrase often credited to P.T. Barnum.

However, when Barnum's biographer tried to track down when Barnum had uttered this phrase, all of Barnum's friends and acquaintances told him it was out of character. Barnum's credo was more along the lines of "there's a customer born every minute" — he wanted to find ways to draw new customers in all the time because competition was fierce and people bored easily.
__________________
And that's the way it is. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear. I reserve the right to be wrong, others take the liberty. My posts are not intended to be complete, just enough to help you find your own answers. Don't let the Relevance Paradox get you.
  #17  
Old 05-02-2006, 06:40 PM
d.delano's Avatar
Dönerkebap
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 1,466
What are you trying to say. Lots of people have used it with good results, and you're on this crusade to prove us all wrong and get us all to stop using this 'snake oil'. LOL what's in it for you? I mean what do you have to gain by dissuading us all? Ego boost, 'I told you so', what? Does Bosch give you a kickback every time it sells an IP or injector? You tell me. If there is nothing in it for you, why waste your time detracting?

Diesel fuel creates varnish in internal fuel system passages. I don't think there's much doubt about that. LM DP cuts that varnish. I don't think there's much doubt about that either.

Perhaps if you had some scientific evidence that it is indeed 'snake oil' you would be the mentally superior free-thinker that you apparently fancy yourself as. Then myself and all the others in the forum would be wrong! Boy wouldn't that make you happy It's not that we need to prove that it works, because we need no proof of that since we do not dispute that it works, it's that you have to prove that it doesn't, because the prevailing belief is that it does, in fact, work. Until you provide proof, you will be discredited as there is nothing to substantiate your detraction. Your argument, as it stands currently, amounts to little more than conjecture and sour grapes. So go dig up some real proof instead of posting Wikipedia nonsense.

You think I'm joking, but I'll stop using it if you can provide proof that it doesn't work without calling me a sucker in the process, as I need to save some money.
__________________
'02 BMW 325i
'85 300D 450k
'93 190E 2.6 170k(killed by tree)
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S 6k
'06 Ducati S2R800 14k(sold)
  #18  
Old 05-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Wodnek's Avatar
Vintage Mercedes Junkie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 1,658
nuf said
__________________
1959 Gravely LI, 1963 Gravely L8, 1973 Gravely C12
1982 380SL
1978 450 SEL 6.9 euro restoration at 63% and climbing
1987 300 D
2005 CDI European Delivery
1995 E300D Handed down to daughter
2006 CDI Wifes

  #19  
Old 05-02-2006, 07:14 PM
d.delano's Avatar
Dönerkebap
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchKitty
If you ever clean a pintle hole you will see that it is impossible for any chemical that you add to your fuel to clean your injectors. You could soak the pintle in straight purge or seafoam and it will not clean the carbon out of your injector holes.
Yeah but what about 2800psi of purge thru the nozzle at operating temp. It would seem pressure like that will clear any hole of any obstruction, if any obstruction were allowed to form at that pressure in the first place. Pintle holes and injector nozzles aren't all there is to the fuel system. There are other areas to be concerned with also, like the IP.

Also, you don't add it to the fuel system. It is looped through the fuel system directly, full strength.
__________________
'02 BMW 325i
'85 300D 450k
'93 190E 2.6 170k(killed by tree)
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S 6k
'06 Ducati S2R800 14k(sold)
  #20  
Old 05-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Willing Participant
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,255
I can do it too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stick_in_the_mud

Quote:
Stick in the mud is an idiom used to describe a person who doesn't want to participate in activities suggested by one or more people, usually because they thought their idea was better, yet ignored, or because they believe the activity isn't wholly kosher. More generally, one who is slow, old-fashioned, or unprogressive: an old fogey. See List of idioms for more information.
  #21  
Old 05-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 199
wikipedia is THE most inaccurate "reference" I have ever seen. Pick a subjest that you are truly and expert in, and do research on wikipedia. Without a doubt, a bull**** reference. The newspaper contains more fact.
  #22  
Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983/300CD


Thats funny right there, I don't care who you are!!

I'm always a little leary of snake oils too, and I did replace fuel filters and do the ALDA service at the same time. But I could here the engine change pitch and rev more smoothly as I was doing the purge. Filters and ALDA were serviced later. My filters were in descent shape(the inline was almost new, the main was replaced about 6months ago according to the P.O. After the purge the inline was a greenish black. The stuff that I poured out of the main filter was nasty as well. Use this information as you choose...it changes my opinion of the product of of you either way. Cheers, Jes
__________________
'85 300D-T
'94 Land Cruiser FZJ80
'88 Land Cruiser FJ62
'74 Land Cruiser FJ40 "Project Tetanus"
  #23  
Old 05-02-2006, 11:59 PM
AlanTbird's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BELEN NM
Posts: 140
did mine on last weekend

Love it.....sounds like a new car!
runs like a raped ape!
wish I could do that to the BEEMER!
__________________
[B]AlanT
BELEN NM


93 dodge cummins truck~old reliable
01 Volvo AWD XC70 Turbo Wagon
74 450 SE on the way out!
Recent: 1972 Toronado 56k on the clock!

IF it plugs in, lights up, makes noise,
I'M ON IT!
  #24  
Old 05-03-2006, 12:01 AM
dmtinker's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Magaloff
wikipedia is THE most inaccurate "reference" I have ever seen. Pick a subjest that you are truly and expert in, and do research on wikipedia. Without a doubt, a bull**** reference. The newspaper contains more fact.
Actually, its on par with Encyclipedia Britanica

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/15/1352207&from=rss

and I have, it was very accurate in my field.
  #25  
Old 05-03-2006, 02:15 AM
TwitchKitty's Avatar
Just fix it
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Varies
Posts: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchKitty
Show me pictures of pintle holes before and after your purge and I will take-back this statement: Don't waste your money on snake-oil miracle cures.

Read your factory service manual on cleaning injectors.

Note: I do not sell any products or information for diesel cars.
Go back and read my posts, I think they say enough for anyone who wants to find their own answers.

If I made you mad, then good, anger is the best motivation for many people.

I bet if you leave a clogged pintle in diesel purge for a week it won't touch the carbon deposits. There is your scientific test.

My motivation? Not sure, just hate to see people mislead into wasting their hard-earned money. Being right is no big boost for me, I'm used to it.

About the people who had good results, I doubt I'll ever see before and after pictures of pintles. Does anyone guarantee any measurable results from using diesel purge? Or is it all feel good, seat of the pants, subjective results?
__________________
And that's the way it is. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear. I reserve the right to be wrong, others take the liberty. My posts are not intended to be complete, just enough to help you find your own answers. Don't let the Relevance Paradox get you.
  #26  
Old 05-03-2006, 03:52 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 41
TwitchKitty, have you ever used diesel purge before? If it doesn't clean the injectors then what does it do, because it sure does something.

Diesel purge is no additive, you run your fuel lines into a watter bottle filled with purge and it runs the stuff through the engine and back into the bottle. when it comes back it comes back soot black. After a good purge the engine will run much smoother, and the pinging that sometimes develops is gone. Like I said, if it's not cleaning the injectors then what is it doing, because something is happening. We are not all fools.
  #27  
Old 05-03-2006, 03:56 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 41
And why is my car running smoother after a couple weeks of using biodiesel? Why was the fuel filter, which wasn't old at all, filled with crud when I changed it tonight? Is the carbon build up in injectors really impervious to solvents? If that's the case then what's going on...
  #28  
Old 05-03-2006, 11:30 AM
d.delano's Avatar
Dönerkebap
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchKitty
Go back and read my posts, I think they say enough for anyone who wants to find their own answers.

If I made you mad, then good, anger is the best motivation for many people.

I bet if you leave a clogged pintle in diesel purge for a week it won't touch the carbon deposits. There is your scientific test.

My motivation? Not sure, just hate to see people mislead into wasting their hard-earned money. Being right is no big boost for me, I'm used to it.

About the people who had good results, I doubt I'll ever see before and after pictures of pintles. Does anyone guarantee any measurable results from using diesel purge? Or is it all feel good, seat of the pants, subjective results?


Nopers, not mad, but I see you're fixated upon pintles for some reason

Like I said before, there's more to the fuel system than pintles. I've never had a pintle hole clogged with carbon, so I could care less. That's a problem that doesn't affect me because I maintain my fuel system.
What I did have is a fuel system that was gunked up with varnish when I first got the car. Lubro-Moly Diesel Purge cut through it. This varnish doesn't happen in the pintle holes. This varnish happens inside the IP and fuel lines, and inside the injectors.
A carboned-up pintle hole most likely is the result of not driving the car, or driving it slowly in mostly stop/go situations, and from not using any additives in our dirty US diesel. 2800psi fuel pressure spraying out of that pintle hole, I don't see carbon getting a chance to form. However 2800psi Diesel Purge coming out the pintle hole, is likely to clear it as well as anything else. I know myself I'd rather try that first than yank the injectors and rebuild them.

It seems I'm trying to use some common sense and economy in my thinking, but you're just a doubter by nature, which is fine.

Whoever buys this guy's car from him remember it'll need a purge first thing
__________________
'02 BMW 325i
'85 300D 450k
'93 190E 2.6 170k(killed by tree)
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S 6k
'06 Ducati S2R800 14k(sold)
  #29  
Old 05-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Wodnek's Avatar
Vintage Mercedes Junkie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 1,658
My 78 300D was nailing real bad before. After the nailing is gone? Was the nailing in my head?
__________________
1959 Gravely LI, 1963 Gravely L8, 1973 Gravely C12
1982 380SL
1978 450 SEL 6.9 euro restoration at 63% and climbing
1987 300 D
2005 CDI European Delivery
1995 E300D Handed down to daughter
2006 CDI Wifes

  #30  
Old 05-03-2006, 01:32 PM
WVOtoGO's Avatar
Up & Over
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Usually, in the skies above you.
Posts: 151
Who cares ?!?!?

This is absolute Loony-Toons.
Who cares about carbon deposits?
Who cares about pintles holes?
Who cares about varnish in the system?
Who cares about ‘scientific evidence‘?
Who cares about the MB manual on how to clean pintles?
And - Who cares if TwitchKitty is mad at the world and thinks he’s a diesel pintle god?
For God’s sake people, he wrapped it all up with the one line: “My motivation? Not sure, just hate to see people mislead into wasting their hard-earned money. Being right is no big boost for me, I'm used to it.”

Wow -Now there’s an ego! (Personal note: Please stay out of the cockpit.)

TK - Until you come up with the facts proving the stuff is a scam. Here’s the cold hard facts.
1. There are lots of people who spend their own hard-earned money on the stuff. (none of your business)
2. They put it through their fuel systems and notice a positive effect on how their engine operates. (wow-perhaps you should try it)
3. They are happy with the results and will do facts 1 and 2 again. (they post their results/happiness with the product on the forum to possibly help others)
4. There is little you or anyone can do to convince these people that whatever it was they noticed didn’t really happen. (so, sit down)
5. It does not matter one bit regarding all the scientific studies, or how carbon forms and where, or how pintles are supposed to be cleaned, varnish builds up, etc. etc. Fact 2 is all that many of the folks who have ever used the stuff care about. That’s it.

That’s all this thread was started for. (Ref. The first 5 posts.) Then came a post regarding a similar product. Cool, let’s hear about it.
Then came your post about pintle holes, snake-oil miracle cures, and service manuals. Sure - I’ll bet whatever you’d like, that a physical scrubbing of the pintles will leave them cleaner than a Purge run. I’ll bet that most of the folks who buy and use Purge are not really looking for a miracle cure that provides the same results as the manual’s procedures. I’ll bet that most of the folks that buy it, don’t think they are wasting their hard-earned money. I’ll bet that they buy and use it because they like what they see/hear/feel it does.

If you’d like to take me up on any of these bets - fine. Let’s do it.
If not - please - Get off your almighty high horse. Sit down. Can the ego. Stop insinuating that folks are wasting their money on snake oil miracle cures. And - Stop making empty statements about a product that you have (in post 11) made it clear you know nothing about.

Good stuff Karl. Please let us know your findings.
__________________
1980 300D - Veggie Burner !

Last edited by WVOtoGO; 05-03-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page