Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-11-2007, 09:52 PM
rino's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry edwards View Post
If you have a level control system, you'll be the first on this board ever to report such a feature on a 240d. The level control system, also called an SLS (Self-leveling system) is a hydropneumatic suspension that was installed on the TD's (station wagons) and some other luzury models.

If you have power steering, you have a power assisted steering box (separate from the power steering pump) and no manual box.
Very good, Kerry, two things I won't have to worry about... Thanks!

Rino

__________________
1979 240D, W123, 105K miles, stick, white w/ tan interior.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-11-2007, 09:55 PM
rino's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
I bought a euro, 82, 5 spd, 240D with a factory trailer hitch and it had SLS, pretty unusual but some one else around here had one too.
If I can't see the level control system reservoir under the hood, it is safe to assume I don't have SLS, right?

Rino
__________________
1979 240D, W123, 105K miles, stick, white w/ tan interior.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Stevo's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NW WA
Posts: 6,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by rino View Post
If I can't see the level control system reservoir under the hood, it is safe to assume I don't have SLS, right?

Rino
Yep, its unlikly you have SLS.
__________________


1985 Euro 240D 5 spd 140K
1979 240D 5 spd, 40K on engine rebuild
1994 Dodge/Cummins, 5 spd, 121K
1964 Allice Chalmers D15 tractor
2014 Kubota L3800 tractor
1964 VW bug

"Lifes too short to drive a boring car"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-11-2007, 10:01 PM
rino's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomany MBZ View Post
I think the SLS is on TD's only, is your 240 a wagon? My '82 240 manual everything, almost, had power steering. Do a search on BLEED THE CLUTCH 82 240. I have saved to my docs, yet, you should be able to find. Haynes is a big help, yet there are a few things extra you can pick up here.
Mine is a sedan... it is also a "manual everything," but it does have power steering.
Should I do a search on BLEED THE CLUTCH 79 240? (are there differences between '79 and '82 models as far as that goes?) Now, I could get the factory manual on CDROM for about $20... Do you think it is a good complementation, the cd thing, or just a waste of money, honestly?

Rino
__________________
1979 240D, W123, 105K miles, stick, white w/ tan interior.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-11-2007, 10:03 PM
rino's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
If you have SLS there is a little dip stick on the reservoir which is mounted on the passenger side of the eng compartment, it take special mineral based hydraulic oil
Nope, I don't have that...

Rino
__________________
1979 240D, W123, 105K miles, stick, white w/ tan interior.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-11-2007, 10:10 PM
rino's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 553
So, how about someone answering my previous question: being a "first timer," should I or should I not do the clutch fluid bleeding/fluid replacement of that line, given that because of the water absorption proclivities inherent in that type of fluid it is likely to damage/rust/corrode both the line and the components attached to it if I do not?

I'd appreciate a straightforward answer....

Rino
__________________
1979 240D, W123, 105K miles, stick, white w/ tan interior.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
The answer is not straightforward. For instance, it partly depends on the climate. I owned a 1971 Travco which, up until 2005 had the original brake fluid in it. Now, it spent its whole life in Colorado which has an extremely dry climate. It would not have lasted that long in a humid environment.
If the brake fluid you bled out did not look too bad, I'd let it go. But I'm in Colorado. If it looked bad, and I lived in Alabama, I'd do the clutch system.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Stevo's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NW WA
Posts: 6,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by rino View Post
So, how about someone answering my previous question: being a "first timer," should I or should I not do the clutch fluid bleeding/fluid replacement of that line, given that because of the water absorption proclivities inherent in that type of fluid it is likely to damage/rust/corrode both the line and the components attached to it if I do not?

I'd appreciate a straightforward answer....

Rino
Heres what I wrote in post #7

Bleeding the clutch can be a bucket of worms for the "first timer" and even though your gona have to do it some day if you keep the car, I wouldn't do it now unless your brake fluid was really grungy. If you decide to do it theres lots in the archives.
__________________
Steve
__________________


1985 Euro 240D 5 spd 140K
1979 240D 5 spd, 40K on engine rebuild
1994 Dodge/Cummins, 5 spd, 121K
1964 Allice Chalmers D15 tractor
2014 Kubota L3800 tractor
1964 VW bug

"Lifes too short to drive a boring car"
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-11-2007, 10:27 PM
rino's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry edwards View Post
The answer is not straightforward. For instance, it partly depends on the climate. I owned a 1971 Travco which, up until 2005 had the original brake fluid in it. Now, it spent its whole life in Colorado which has an extremely dry climate. It would not have lasted that long in a humid environment.
If the brake fluid you bled out did not look too bad, I'd let it go. But I'm in Colorado. If it looked bad, and I lived in Alabama, I'd do the clutch system.
No, as I said, it looked pretty clear, no bad at all... I am in Los Angeles, CA. As far as I can tell it's pretty dry here... So I guess the best bet for me is to let it go...

Amazing your '71 Travco though... how did the brake fluid look after 34 years, even in Colorado?

Rino
__________________
1979 240D, W123, 105K miles, stick, white w/ tan interior.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-11-2007, 10:29 PM
rino's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Heres what I wrote in post #7

Bleeding the clutch can be a bucket of worms for the "first timer" and even though your gona have to do it some day if you keep the car, I wouldn't do it now unless your brake fluid was really grungy. If you decide to do it theres lots in the archives.
__________________
Steve
Yes Steve, I am well aware of what you wrote in post #7... I also wanted to hear what others had to say on that subject...

Thanks,
Rino
__________________
1979 240D, W123, 105K miles, stick, white w/ tan interior.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by rino View Post
Amazing your '71 Travco though... how did the brake fluid look after 34 years, even in Colorado?
Rino
Don't know. I had a shop go thru the whole system when the right rear pad hung up and wore down to the metal.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-11-2007, 11:01 PM
rino's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry edwards View Post
Don't know. I had a shop go thru the whole system when the right rear pad hung up and wore down to the metal.
They might have been totally flabbergasted at the color/consistency of the old fluid... would have been interesting to know more about that 34-year-old brake fluid... but we'll never know...

Rino

__________________
1979 240D, W123, 105K miles, stick, white w/ tan interior.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page