PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/)
-   Diesel Discussion (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/)
-   -   Am I missing these reservoirs in my '79 240D? (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/181989-am-i-missing-these-reservoirs-my-79-240d.html)

rino 03-11-2007 06:02 PM

Am I missing these reservoirs in my '79 240D?
 
I suppose some of the following questions might come across as stoopid ones... but I have learned a lot from asking seemingly stoopid questions, so I am going to ask them anyway.

According to the Haynes for the Diesel 123 Series, I should do routine maintenance for the fluid in the clutch fluid reservoir ("The clutch cylinder used on manual transmissions is mounted adjacent to the master cylinder") and the fluid in the level control system reservoir.
These reservoirs apparently are nowhere to be found under the hood of my car.
Am I supposed to have them or not?

Also, does the presence of power steering in my car imply the absence of the manual steering gear box, or should I have one anyway along with the power steering system that I need to service?

Thanks,
Rino

kerry 03-11-2007 06:12 PM

Clutch master cylinder on the 123 is inside the car, mounted on the firewall. It shares a fluid reservoir with the brake master cylinder. If you look at the brake reservoir you should see a black hose heading thru the firewall.

rino 03-11-2007 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerry edwards (Post 1447400)
Clutch master cylinder on the 123 is inside the car, mounted on the firewall. It shares a fluid reservoir with the brake master cylinder. If you look at the brake reservoir you should see a black hose heading thru the firewall.

So the same fluid used by the brake system is also used by the clutch master cylinder? And what about bleeding... does the clutch need to be bled too (I would suppose so...) The Haynes does not seem to address that type of bleeding at all...

Rino

kerry 03-11-2007 06:19 PM

Yes, clutch has to be bled also when replacing parts or fluid.

rino 03-11-2007 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerry edwards (Post 1447407)
Yes, clutch has to be bled also when replacing parts or fluid.

I just replaced the brake fluid... Am I now supposed to bleed the clutch? How can I find out (online) how to do that? (Why doesn't the Haynes mention it?:confused: )

Rino

kerry 03-11-2007 06:46 PM

If you got air in the clutch system, it will need to be bled. Also the reasons to reccommend replacing brake fluid apply to the clutch also.

Stevo 03-11-2007 06:57 PM

Bleeding the clutch can be a bucket of worms for the "first timer" and even though your gona have to do it some day if you keep the car, I wouldn't do it now unless your brake fluid was really grungy. If you decide to do it theres lots in the archives.

rino 03-11-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerry edwards (Post 1447431)
If you got air in the clutch system, it will need to be bled. Also the reasons to reccommend replacing brake fluid apply to the clutch also.

Actually, I've been driving the car a couple of days after replacing the brake fluid, and the clutch seems to work just fine. I bled the system by using a turkey baster to pull out the liquid from the reservoir, then I added the new fluid and bled it RR-RL-FR-FL, adding fluid as needed. Using this method, apparently no air got in...

Do you (or anyone else) have an answer to the level control system reservoir and manual steering box questions?

What I am learning is that I can't exclusively rely on the Haynes for proper procedures and that, sometimes, to get complete answers here is like having to pull them out with a pair of pliers... ;)

Rino

kerry 03-11-2007 07:17 PM

If you have a level control system, you'll be the first on this board ever to report such a feature on a 240d. The level control system, also called an SLS (Self-leveling system) is a hydropneumatic suspension that was installed on the TD's (station wagons) and some other luzury models.

If you have power steering, you have a power assisted steering box (separate from the power steering pump) and no manual box.

Stevo 03-11-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerry edwards (Post 1447457)
If you have a level control system, you'll be the first on this board ever to report such a feature on a 240d. The level control system, also called an SLS (Self-leveling system) is a hydropneumatic suspension that was installed on the TD's (station wagons) and some other luzury models.

If you have power steering, you have a power assisted steering box (separate from the power steering pump) and no manual box.

I bought a euro, 82, 5 spd, 240D with a factory trailer hitch and it had SLS, pretty unusual but some one else around here had one too.

kerry 03-11-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo (Post 1447467)
I bought a euro, 82, 5 spd, 240D with a factory trailer hitch and it had SLS, pretty unusual but some one else around here had one too.

Ooops!

toomany MBZ 03-11-2007 07:32 PM

I think the SLS is on TD's only, is your 240 a wagon? My '82 240 manual everything, almost, had power steering. Do a search on BLEED THE CLUTCH 82 240. I have saved to my docs, yet, you should be able to find. Haynes is a big help, yet there are a few things extra you can pick up here.

Stevo 03-11-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toomany MBZ (Post 1447470)
I think the SLS is on TD's only, is your 240 a wagon? My '82 240 manual everything, almost, had power steering. Do a search on BLEED THE CLUTCH 82 240. I have saved to my docs, yet, you should be able to find. Haynes is a big help, yet there are a few things extra you can pick up here.

I shoulda mentioned mine was a sedan

Stevo 03-11-2007 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rino (Post 1447444)
Actually,
Do you (or anyone else) have an answer to the level control system reservoir and manual steering box questions?


Rino

If you have SLS there is a little dip stick on the reservoir which is mounted on the passenger side of the eng compartment, it take special mineral based hydraulic oil.

manual steering box?

rino 03-11-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo (Post 1447439)
Bleeding the clutch can be a bucket of worms for the "first timer" and even though your gona have to do it some day if you keep the car, I wouldn't do it now unless your brake fluid was really grungy. If you decide to do it theres lots in the archives.

No, actually the brake fluid was pretty clear... But doesn't the same concept of the brake fluid getting watery and thus damaging to the lines and brake components apply also to the fluid that travels through the lines and components that go to the clutch, thereby making it imperative that it be changed once a year? A "bucket of worms," eh?

The question is, should I do it or should I not?

Let me tell you, I bought this car two years ago and for these past two years (this went on until last month) all I did was change the engine oil twice a year and add diesel fuel to the tank and drive the car... But at least I've been very gentle to it. The previous owner was a total pothead and I very much doubt he took good care of the car (he had absolutely no service records to show...) He hated the car because it was "too slow for his taste" and, by what he told me, I gathered he almost sadistically kept beating it up hoping one day it would die... The durability and resilience of these cars never cease to amaze me. I literally saved this car from that guys' constant abuse, and now I would like to take good care of it...

Rino


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website