Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 06-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Bruce Kennedy's Avatar
Glutton for punishment
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 230
[quote=Mister Byrnzoil;1547234]what a great read! nice pics. the best part is that I have an 80 parts car w/ a manual sunroof


Questions.
the 'ramps' don't release when the tack weld is cut? is it trapped under the rail mount and must also be cut free?... just wondering if a cordless drill will suffice @ the JY. (BTW my JY does not allow cameras)

thanks!!

The Don... how bout deleting your ill-timed post?[/quote

They are spot welded on and you need to drill out the spot welds. If you look closely you can see the spot welds. I used a 3/16th drill bit.
__________________
a few mb diesels
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Rashakor's Avatar
Darth Diesel
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 676
How about removing the complete sunroof assembly.

If you have a part car shouldn't that be a way more straight forward procedure?

BTW the procedure also works for the W116, although the parts are not interchangeable with the W123. Not sure about the W114/115...

Finally the best source for the manual sunroofs are Eurocars, early 240D and all 300TD.
__________________
------------------------------------------
Aquilae non capunt muscas! (Eagles don't hunt flies!)


1979 300SD Black/Black MBtex239000mi
1983 300TD euro-NA. White/Olive Cloth-MBtex 201000mi. Fleet car of the USA embassy in Morocco
1983 240D Labrador Blue/Blue MBtex 161000mi
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-06-2007, 12:40 AM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashakor View Post
How about removing the complete sunroof assembly.

If you have a part car shouldn't that be a way more straight forward procedure?
That would be the proper way but it involves removing the headliner to about the back seats. That's how I got my manual parts, I just cut the headliner out of a 250, unbolted it from the roof and got the parts I needed.

Getting it out would be easy but getting the 22+ year old headliner back on straight, that's the hard part.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-06-2007, 01:08 AM
JimmyL's Avatar
Rogue T Intolerant!!!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Texas (DFW)
Posts: 9,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
That would be the proper way but it involves removing the headliner to about the back seats. That's how I got my manual parts, I just cut the headliner out of a 250, unbolted it from the roof and got the parts I needed.

Getting it out would be easy but getting the 22+ year old headliner back on straight, that's the hard part.

Ahh, glad you got your parts Lance. Sorry mine ended up being rusted......
__________________
Jimmy L.
'05 Acura TL 6MT
2001 ML430 My Spare

Gone:
'95 E300 188K "Batmobile" Texas Unfriendly Black
'85 300TD 235K "The Wagon" Texas Friendly White
'80 240D 154K "China" Scar engine installed
'81 300TD 240K "Smash"
'80 240D 230K "The Squash"
'81 240D 293K"Scar" Rear ended harder than Elton John
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-06-2007, 01:13 AM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
No problem. I still need the ramps and and felts.

I'll probably just make the ramps myself from some scrap steel strips at work.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-06-2007, 01:30 AM
TheDon's Avatar
Open Discussion Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,208
I'm still on the look out for all the parts needed

I noticed on the part "No return"

why didnt you just use a pipe cutter and remove the pipe in a clean fashion.. so in the future if you want a power sun roof all you need to do is braise on a slightly larger ID pipe and go with it
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-06-2007, 12:11 PM
TwitchKitty's Avatar
Just fix it
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Varies
Posts: 3,321
Are you parts sellers getting this?

Put together a parts kit and they will sell.

I like the idea of this. My Euro car has a manual sun roof and after using it I had to wonder why they ever built an electric sunroof in the first place. This is an example of the transition of MB from a manufacturer of fine automobiles that would last a lifetime to ...
__________________
And that's the way it is. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear. I reserve the right to be wrong, others take the liberty. My posts are not intended to be complete, just enough to help you find your own answers. Don't let the Relevance Paradox get you.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Bruce Kennedy's Avatar
Glutton for punishment
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
I'm still on the look out for all the parts needed

I noticed on the part "No return"

why didnt you just use a pipe cutter and remove the pipe in a clean fashion.. so in the future if you want a power sun roof all you need to do is braise on a slightly larger ID pipe and go with it
I dont think you could get a pipe cutter in far enough and why would anyone ever want to return it to power? Also, If you want to remove the whole sunroof the only headliner you need to remove is the portion that covers the sunroof.
__________________
a few mb diesels
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-06-2007, 11:23 PM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Kennedy View Post
If you want to remove the whole sunroof the only headliner you need to remove is the portion that covers the sunroof.
Which is pretty much everything from the front dome light to the rear dome light.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Rashakor's Avatar
Darth Diesel
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
Which is pretty much everything from the front dome light to the rear dome light.
And to remove the headliner you need to remove the Front mbtex liner (back as well in the wagon), back glass (side quarter glasses in the wagon), B and C pilar covers and lift the door edge felt trim. Geesh! I just did it today on the wagon!!! BTW the complete assembly is in the vicinity of 75lb, be careful with the head

Now i need to go to the junk yard for another 2 other trays!!!

How about a suede headliner to replace the ratty one in the sedan?
__________________
------------------------------------------
Aquilae non capunt muscas! (Eagles don't hunt flies!)


1979 300SD Black/Black MBtex239000mi
1983 300TD euro-NA. White/Olive Cloth-MBtex 201000mi. Fleet car of the USA embassy in Morocco
1983 240D Labrador Blue/Blue MBtex 161000mi
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-25-2007, 02:47 PM
TheDon's Avatar
Open Discussion Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,208
I'm going next weekend to get the parts for the conversion

but.. I've searched and searched and cannot find anything solid on removing the runroof

I get stuff from Boostedbenz but his links are all dead



I have thought of a way to make the "no return part" a reversible one.. Details will follow
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-11-2007, 06:55 PM
TheDon's Avatar
Open Discussion Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,208
question

in this photo you see these gold clips



no where on the w123 or on the sunroof panel that I pulled(intact) from the chasis are these clips..

what do they do? why do I need them? where can I get them?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-11-2007, 08:27 PM
turbobenz's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cameron Park CA
Posts: 1,863
Umm why would you want a manual sunroof? I dont get it. Is the electric one too slow or something? Or when the motor breaks, it cannot be replaced?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 PM
TheDon's Avatar
Open Discussion Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,208
I think its neat..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Diesel911's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Beach,CA
Posts: 26,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Byrnzoil View Post
what a great read! nice pics. the best part is that I have an 80 parts car w/ a manual sunroof


Questions.
the 'ramps' don't release when the tack weld is cut? is it trapped under the rail mount and must also be cut free?... just wondering if a cordless drill will suffice @ the JY. (BTW my JY does not allow cameras)

thanks!!

The Don... how bout deleting your ill-timed post?
Sounds like you might have a market for 80 manual sunroof kits if someone at your yard pulled all the parts needed parts and sold them as kits.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page