Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 05-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 3,956
It's like the joke about "my granddaddy's axe"...if you never heard that one it goes this way: "my grandaddy's axe is the best axe ever made, it never wore out, only once he replaced the handle and then he replaced the head, but that axe never wore out."

At some point you will have replaced just about everything that wears to get to a million miles, so is it the same car? No, of course not. By this logic almost any car can last a million miles...it just depends on how many times you will have to keep replacing the same parts...on an MB it is probably a lot less often than on others. So, they can last a million miles more easily than others.
__________________
Marty D.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,267
Any Mercedes properly taken care of gas or diesel will run 300k-400k miles.

250k is about all you can expect out of a tranny, anything more is luck, some people are very lucky.

I wouldn't buy a car with more then 300k miles on it, they start to need everything and have a lot of slop in everything. 400k is really starting to push it, engine wise. A 400k mile engine is a crap shoot.


This is assuming you drive enough to put the miles on in a reasonable time, before age starts killing stuff.
__________________
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
Mercedes??

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdoc View Post
At some point you will have replaced just about everything that wears to get to a million miles, so is it the same car? No, of course not. By this logic almost any car can last a million miles...it just depends on how many times you will have to keep replacing the same parts...on an MB it is probably a lot less often than on others. So, they can last a million miles more easily than others.
LOL, that's good. Of course, many cars do not have a chassis that will hold together that long and many manufactures will give up providing parts support after about 10 years. And who wants a 30 year old toyota with 1000K miles anyway?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Sash's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 111
My car have about 290k and to the best of my knowledge the trans is all original ant the short block is to ,the head has bean rebuild about 80k a go, I don't know the reason why, the car is running very weal 0 blow by,starts right up at any temp,this last winter we have a rely cold nights here in MI,below 0 and I left the car outside (UNPLUGGED)just for fun to see if she well start,one time glow the plugs and she catch on the first try,so I don't see way not this car will lest me another 200k.
Time will teal......................
Later
__________________
my hot rod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiJ2YYIBxVs
one more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79r9hn9aTuA
and one more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dKo1E-69f0
Sorry for my broken English!
1984 300sd 301000 MILE

Last edited by Sash; 05-28-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-27-2007, 11:20 AM
vstech's Avatar
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 26,090
sash, what country do you hail from? over here you would say unplugged I think. un plagued may indeed be true, but it has the meaning of not getting infected with a transmitted disease.
John
__________________
John HAUL AWAY, OR CRUSHED CARS!!! HELP ME keep the cars out of the crusher! A/C Thread
"as I ride with my a/c on... I have fond memories of sweaty oily saturdays and spewing R12 into the air. THANKS for all you do!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-27-2007, 11:25 AM
AHH,What's up Doc????
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post
??? Not necessary, most of that stuff is snake oil. I think I saw somewhere that the lucas products allow the oil to foam up, starving bearings of their oil and shortening engine life. Just use good quality oil, synthetic is best, and change it regularly, and the engine will last a loooong time.

What do you mean "added 150 RPM" you can't add rpm's with an additive, generally you just press the throttle more to do that.
i mean that as an engineer for the Chrysler Corporation, putting in an additive that lets your engine idle speed up while doing nothing else means that the additive is NOT snake oil! It really is working by reducing the amount of friction in your motor. I know there are a lot of snake oils out there, but some will actually do what is promised! Lucas Girling is one of the best and their"Keep that engine alive" shear reducer works when added to oil. upper cylinder lubricant when added to your fuel will burn in your combustion chamber and I added 150RPM just after one tankful! Blowby was also reduced because the rings are sliding up and down on the cylinder walls easier! My engine temps also dropped about 6* centigrade making just this one change proving this works. While synthetic oils work great, they also tend to let high mileage engines leak more unless you replace all your gaskets, something most of us won't do until our motors need to be torn down and rebuilt.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Abandon the Roads!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 283
Okay, no one has pointed this out, so here goes:
The big story about a Benz reaching a million miles was from a taxi cab driver in the middle east.
What the stories tend to downplay is the fact that he had two or three engines that he switched out and several transmissions.

Do these cars last a long time? yes.
Can they last to around 500k without a rebuild? yes, but you can expect some problems to develop as you get closer to that mark.

About the trannies:
A manual tranny will last almost forever, no argument there.
An automatic one will last about 250k on average, but that can vary. Mercedes auto trannies do normally last considerably longer than the competition, but they still aren't invincible. My personal idea here is that if you could take a well built MBZ tranny and make it computer controlled, it could come close to matching a manual if programmed correctly, but hey, my guess is as good as yours there.

Think of it this way: my family has had a dodge minivan (early nineties) and a chrysler minivan (late nineties), and we had to get rid of both of then because of tranny problems before they hit 200k. The engines were having problems at that time as well.
__________________
1984 300DT turbo 138k mi

Still hauling me to school and back.

Handy Site:
http://www.dieselgiant.com/
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Dubyagee's Avatar
All fields are required
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SE
Posts: 2,849
I had a Chevy Silverado 305/stick with 300000+ on the original engine/trans. I still see it go by every now and then.


Any vehicle can last a loooong time if it isn't pounded on and maintained correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-27-2007, 12:07 PM
TheDon's Avatar
Open Discussion Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Windermere,FL
Posts: 13,206
That guy over on benzworld... Dieselburns or w/e had 750k on his 240D(or 300D N/A) cant rember before it died. I think it was mostly original.

Once my car reaches 300k Ill swap transmissions and at 450k ill rebuild the engine to be nice. Thats my plan at least
__________________

|1983 300D| OM617 239k Miles|Red|"Passion"|
|1982 300D Euro|OM617 NA| Thistle Green|"Granny Smith|
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-27-2007, 12:14 PM
AHH,What's up Doc????
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
That guy over on benzworld... Dieselburns or w/e had 750k on his 240D(or 300D N/A) cant rember before it died. I think it was mostly original.

Once my car reaches 300k Ill swap transmissions and at 450k ill rebuild the engine to be nice. Thats my plan at least
Rebuild your transmission as well there. You are a lot better off getting your remanufactured than swapping to someone elses problem because you know what you have and that is peace of mind knowing where you stand. It should cost you about $1500.00 to $1800.00 to have yours totally overhauled and that is a great price for these cars and you will have a warranty too!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada.
Posts: 6,510
We buy these cars in well used condition usually. The known unreliability of the odometer combined with the possibility or almost certainty of a odometer rollback by dealers when these were fairly new. Primarily done to get a maximum return at reselling time leads me to a question.
How many actual miles are on this example I own? From the general appearance of a lot of them I would have to say they have a lot more than indicated. Also since we buy them well used and usually with even the last owner knowing little about them. Has the engine or transmission had major work before? We just have so little history on most remaining examples still out there.
A thirty year old diesel car with only 200k is a really scarce item except for this brand it seems. Who pays a premium for a diesel to not use it when fairly new? How come most of the newer mercedes examples with more reliable and tamper resistant odometer designs have usually at least 200k on them? Yet are 15 years or so newer. Is it the lower cost fuel as time goes by that has caused them to be driven more?
Most our newer diesels in my family average at least 25- 30k a year and it was greater when fuel was cheap. Contrast that with a thirty year average of less than 7k per year on a ton of 25-30 year old ebay 123 diesel cars. That is far less than even the average acumulated milage on gas cars.
On this basis I would think as many have suggested over time. You pretty well have to buy on condition and ignore the odometer. Perhaps the original engine did make it to 500k or is going to regardless of what the odometers indicate.
I have four 123 diesels that indicate 156-240k miles. Two of them might be true or close to there indicated milage. I certainly would not place a bet. The other two run great yet I am certain they have far more accumulated milage. The two I suspect of having far higher overall milage in general could fool a purchaser if he was not an expert on 123 diesels quite easily. Just some of my opinions.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-27-2007, 01:56 PM
vstech's Avatar
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 26,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry123400 View Post
We buy these cars in well used condition usually. The known unreliability of the odometer combined with the possibility or almost certainty of a odometer rollback by dealers when these were fairly new. Primarily done to get a maximum return at reselling time leads me to a question.
How many actual miles are on this example I own? From the general appearance of a lot of them I would have to say they have a lot more than indicated. Also since we buy them well used and usually with even the last owner knowing little about them. Has the engine or transmission had major work before? We just have so little history on most remaining examples still out there.
A thirty year old diesel car with only 200k is a really scarce item except for this brand it seems. Who pays a premium for a diesel to not use it when fairly new? How come most of the newer mercedes examples with more reliable and tamper resistant odometer designs have usually at least 200k on them? Yet are 15 years or so newer. Is it the lower cost fuel as time goes by that has caused them to be driven more?
Most our newer diesels in my family average at least 25- 30k a year and it was greater when fuel was cheap. Contrast that with a thirty year average of less than 7k per year on a ton of 25-30 year old ebay 123 diesel cars. That is far less than even the average acumulated milage on gas cars.
On this basis I would think as many have suggested over time. You pretty well have to buy on condition and ignore the odometer. Perhaps the original engine did make it to 500k or is going to regardless of what the odometers indicate.
I have four 123 diesels that indicate 156-240k miles. Two of them might be true or close to there indicated milage. I certainly would not place a bet. The other two run great yet I am certain they have far more accumulated milage. The two I suspect of having far higher overall milage in general could fool a purchaser if he was not an expert on 123 diesels quite easily. Just some of my opinions.
I totally agree.
the ones we get in questionable condition, may indeed have over 500K! unless you have totally complete records, and get it from the original owner, youreally don't know.
John
__________________
John HAUL AWAY, OR CRUSHED CARS!!! HELP ME keep the cars out of the crusher! A/C Thread
"as I ride with my a/c on... I have fond memories of sweaty oily saturdays and spewing R12 into the air. THANKS for all you do!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-27-2007, 04:53 PM
tobybul's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,076
We always hope that the PO took good care of the car. If the vehicle was well cared for and you continue the good care, chances are the car will last for a long time. In most cases, unless we intimately know how the car was previously cared for, we can only hope the engine and tranny will go for a while.

Hence why I tend to be really picky when I scope out an old D.
__________________
the sooner you start... the sooner you'll get done If it ain't broke, don't fix it.. Its always simpler to tell the truth...
2007 Honda Accord EX
2007 Honda Accord SE V6
96 C220
97 Explorer - Found Another Home
2000 Honda Accord V6 - Found Another Home
85 300D - Found Another Home
84 300D - Found Another Home
80 300TD - Found Another Home
Previous cars:
96 Caravan
87 Camry
84 Cressida
82 Vanagon
80 Fiesta
78 Nova
Ford Cortina
Opel Kadet
68 Kombi
Contessa
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-28-2007, 01:37 AM
dunl's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sylvan Lake, Alberta,CANADA (1.5 hr from Calgary)
Posts: 940
My 1980 300SD had about 80% of the records when I bought it.

My 1982 300SD (bought last Thursday), has ALL 25 years worth of service records. When the previous owner took out the records and handed them to me, my wife said "What is it with Mercedes guys???"

Not everyone doesn't bother to keep records.
__________________
79 300SD - $50 out of pocket purchase
03 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD
2003 VW Jetta TDI
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-28-2007, 02:52 AM
RNCarl's Avatar
aka: dadsdiesel
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 63
I would guess,

And this is just a guess, in the '80's here in the U.S. the Benz was still somewhat of a status symbol. Perhaps driven by a doctor or lawyer or a cheapskate accountant.

They were often traded in or moved down to be "the wife's car" where the mileage per year went down. Then traded or sold at about the 10 year mark. Because depending on the professional, they had to keep up appearances.

The car then started being abused by the second or third owner because at that point, unless it fell into the hands of one of the Mercedes fanatics found here, it was a daily driver, neglected yet not forgotten until some repair cost more than the vehicle or a vacuum issue put it off the road in the corral of some shop owner. Where then it sat, and sat, and sat, until it was resurrected by someone like us.

My newly acquired "gem" has been sitting for over 5-6 years the po finally admitted. It was sitting behind a "foreign auto" repair shop for almost 5 years when someone saw it and wanted to make it a "daily driver" - That lasted about a year when that owner started putting LOTS of money into her. He parked it under a tree for a year until his wife gave the ultimatum - ... you all know that one. Where it was moved to my neighbor's garage where she sat for a year. This spring, she came to me - neglected but not broken.

237900 miles on the clock - I think it's pretty close to actual because I checked it out with "auto-check" and the mileage pattern fit the description given. She was driven 168K in the first ten years then sporadic miles as she passed through hands.
__________________
.

1983 Mercedes 300SD [OMG - What Have I Done!] Just Aquired - Brake job under way. Then she will be greased!

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited [2.8L CRD - a noisy little Italian, just like my wife]

2006 Toyota Sienna [The Wuss-Moblie] My daily driver... Hey, it's a company car, I can't help it.

My dad always said, "Son, you may only look like a fool, but when you open your mouth, you remove all doubt."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page