Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm thinkin, I'm thinkin.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 440
Acceptable temp for a 93 degree day ?

I flushed my system twice to get rid of the green coolant, replaced it with the Benz stuff and replaced the thermostat. This was idling in Drive in my driveway with the ambient temp in the low 90's after a drive.

My electric fan is wired direct so I can turn it on any time. The previous owner is paranoid about electric fans because he had a temp switch fail on another car and was left stranded so he wires the electric fans on all his cars direct to a toggle switch. The temp seems to stay the same even with the electric fan running. My fan clutch seems to be moving a fair amount of air but I have a feeling it may be on it's way out. After I shut the car down, I turned the fan blade by hand. It has a little resistance, maybe making one full turn after I release it. Any opinions or am I in the "green" zone with this ?
__________________
Sharing my partner's 2012 Forte 5dr SX til I find my next 123 or 126..
-
Do I miss being a service advisor ???
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2007, 09:40 PM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvisorGuy View Post
It has a little resistance, maybe making one full turn after I release it. Any opinions or am I in the "green" zone with this ?
It should not go more than 2-3 blade widths when you try to spin it by hand. Sounds like it's low on fluid.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm thinkin, I'm thinkin.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 440
Low on fluid ?!?! It's a refillable clutch ? With what and how ?
__________________
Sharing my partner's 2012 Forte 5dr SX til I find my next 123 or 126..
-
Do I miss being a service advisor ???
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
It does sound like the fan clutch is weak, I would probably just replace it and see if that helps. They do seem to wear out, I think I'm on my third clutch. As another test, can you stop it with a rolled up newspaper while the engine is running at high temperature? If so, it's getting weak.

BTW, what is the temperature at highway speed? The fans should not have any effect at speed, so if the temperature is lower on the highway than at idle, I would also suspect the fan.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvisorGuy View Post
Low on fluid ?!?! It's a refillable clutch ? With what and how ?
It's not really designed to be refillable, but some folks have managed to refill the fluid in the clutch. IMHO, it's more trouble than it's worth for a couple of $100 part.

Do a search, I believe there are treads on refilling them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-02-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm thinkin, I'm thinkin.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 440
On the highway, the temp was about the same to a hair lower, although after driving up a long, increasing elevation winding road with a 40 mph speed limit, it did hit the 100 mark. Even though I work for a parts store, my local foreign parts store gave me a price of around $132.00 for a new clutch.
__________________
Sharing my partner's 2012 Forte 5dr SX til I find my next 123 or 126..
-
Do I miss being a service advisor ???

Last edited by AdvisorGuy; 06-02-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 204
Temp looks about where mine runs on a similar day. An 80 degree thermostat starts to open at 80, so it should run a bit above that.
__________________
2000 C230 Kompressor "Frosty"

2007 PT Cruiser
2001 VW TDI Beetle
1999 Landrover Discovery II
1971 Corvette

Gone: 97 Cabrio, 83 240D, 93 VW Eurovan, 95 Volvo 850, 93 Chevy Astro Van, 77 VW Bus, 99 VW Jetta, 74 VW Bus
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvisorGuy View Post
I flushed my system twice to get rid of the green coolant, replaced it with the Benz stuff and replaced the thermostat. This was idling in Drive in my driveway with the ambient temp in the low 90's after a drive.

My electric fan is wired direct so I can turn it on any time. The previous owner is paranoid about electric fans because he had a temp switch fail on another car and was left stranded so he wires the electric fans on all his cars direct to a toggle switch. The temp seems to stay the same even with the electric fan running. My fan clutch seems to be moving a fair amount of air but I have a feeling it may be on it's way out. After I shut the car down, I turned the fan blade by hand. It has a little resistance, maybe making one full turn after I release it. Any opinions or am I in the "green" zone with this ?
The SD would crawl up closer to 100°C. in the driveway after a good highway run........especially at 93°F. ambient.

I'm hardly worried about it.

You could worry yourself to death........and the engine isn't going to care.........
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 407
Temp looks good to me given the ambient temp.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-02-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm thinkin, I'm thinkin.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 440
I guess I've been away from real temperature gauges for a few years.
__________________
Sharing my partner's 2012 Forte 5dr SX til I find my next 123 or 126..
-
Do I miss being a service advisor ???
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Palangi's Avatar
L' Résistance
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Republique de Banana
Posts: 3,496
The Wahler 75 degree thermostat from a late 70's 450SL will take 5 to 10 degrees off the temp.
__________________
Palangi

2004 C240 Wagon 203.261 Baby Benz
2008 ML320 CDI Highway Cruiser
2006 Toyota Prius, Saving the Planet @ 48 mpg
2000 F-150, Destroying the Planet @ 20 mpg



TRUMP .......... WHITEHOUSE
HILLARY .........JAILHOUSE
BERNIE .......... NUTHOUSE
0BAMA .......... OUTHOUSE
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
The SD would crawl up closer to 100°C. in the driveway after a good highway run........especially at 93°F. ambient.

I'm hardly worried about it.

You could worry yourself to death........and the engine isn't going to care.........
My 300D runs about one needle width above 80, but under heavy load will get to where yours is, but it comes right down after a little air gets in the motor. Like Brian says, you could worry all you want, but if it behaves in a pattern where it consistently comes back down, then no biggie. If you really wanted to buy an ounce of prevention, then you could buy the clutch.

On a related note, is that normal oil pressure in your pic? Mine runs at 1.4 bar at warm idle. Just curious.
__________________

1998 E300D, 177k, smooth as silk.
1985 300d turbodiesel, 297k.
1999 Toyota Camry, 136k, the safety net, sold, yikes, no more safety net.
2002 Honda Odyssey, soccer mom's diaper wagon.
1987 Toyota 4x4 longbed, the "estate truck," sold.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-02-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm thinkin, I'm thinkin.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 440
Just took it for a ride up "Skyline Drive". A nice hill to bring the temp up. I went up & down twice. I jumped right out, opened the hood so I can see the fan stop when I shut it down. It spun for 2 seconds after shut down. Replace the clutch ?

As for the oil pressure reading, the car is hot, in Drive and standing still in that pic.
__________________
Sharing my partner's 2012 Forte 5dr SX til I find my next 123 or 126..
-
Do I miss being a service advisor ???
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIESL View Post
My 300D runs about one needle width above 80, but under heavy load will get to where yours is, but it comes right down after a little air gets in the motor. Like Brian says, you could worry all you want, but if it behaves in a pattern where it consistently comes back down, then no biggie. If you really wanted to buy an ounce of prevention, then you could buy the clutch.

On a related note, is that normal oil pressure in your pic? Mine runs at 1.4 bar at warm idle. Just curious.
You could buy the clutch.........and a brand new radiator.........and you might get 8°..............BFD.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
You could buy the clutch.........and a brand new radiator.........and you might get 8°..............BFD.
Yep, that's why a say an ounce. Brian, what is your oil pressure at warm idle? Just curious.
__________________

1998 E300D, 177k, smooth as silk.
1985 300d turbodiesel, 297k.
1999 Toyota Camry, 136k, the safety net, sold, yikes, no more safety net.
2002 Honda Odyssey, soccer mom's diaper wagon.
1987 Toyota 4x4 longbed, the "estate truck," sold.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page