Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2007, 06:45 PM
drgreenthumb's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 152
hesitation, loss of power when cold

I am not sure how to really describe this. When the engine is cold it stumbles, or misfires. It feels like the ac compressor kicks in or like tapping on the brakes while driving. It is most noticeable around 50mph and 2200rpm. Once the engine is warm it goes away. Any ideas what is causing this?

This is a 95 E300D btw.


Last edited by drgreenthumb; 06-28-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-27-2007, 07:01 PM
pjc pjc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 276
Do a search for "surge," "surging," or "hesitation" along with "OM606," "E300," or "E300D." See if the symptoms described there match yours.

"Misfiring" is probably not the right word. Although you describe the engine as cold, by the time you're at 50 mph and 2200 rpm, all cylinders should be hot enough to achieve combustion even if you have a bad glow plug at startup (which would cause a brief rough idle/smoke). And, of course, there's no spark plug to not fire or fire at the wrong time. It's more likely that what you're feeling is a momentary loss of power caused by the air intake system or fuel injection system.

What surprises me is that your problem goes away when the engine is "warm." I assume you mean normal operating temp, i.e., 80-90 C.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-27-2007, 07:02 PM
pjc pjc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 276
Oh, another question: When you experience this problem, is it accompanied by any unusual noises? Bursts of grey/black smoke from the tailpipe?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-27-2007, 09:21 PM
drgreenthumb's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc View Post
Do a search for "surge," "surging," or "hesitation" along with "OM606," "E300," or "E300D." See if the symptoms described there match yours.

"Misfiring" is probably not the right word. Although you describe the engine as cold, by the time you're at 50 mph and 2200 rpm, all cylinders should be hot enough to achieve combustion even if you have a bad glow plug at startup (which would cause a brief rough idle/smoke). And, of course, there's no spark plug to not fire or fire at the wrong time. It's more likely that what you're feeling is a momentary loss of power caused by the air intake system or fuel injection system.

What surprises me is that your problem goes away when the engine is "warm." I assume you mean normal operating temp, i.e., 80-90 C.
I understand misfire is not the best term to use since there is no ignition system. The diesel terms are new to me.

Your description of momentary loss of power describes what is going on. The loss is for a fraction of a second, power is regained, ad then lost again. This only happens at a constant speed. Under acceleration there is no problem.

Warm = 60-80C
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-27-2007, 09:23 PM
drgreenthumb's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc View Post
Oh, another question: When you experience this problem, is it accompanied by any unusual noises? Bursts of grey/black smoke from the tailpipe?
No smoke or noise. I say a puff of white smoke at start up once but that is it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Gene
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 1,102
Ha! Welcome to 95E300D's. Mine does NOT like the new fuel apprently, and might have a bad prechamber, or two. While never being a proponent of fuel additives, you might just try some Howes Meaner Cleaner adding some lubricity and helping atomization with a bad prechamber. A band aid, tobe sure, but....

btw, have the fuel filters been changed out?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-28-2007, 10:22 AM
drgreenthumb's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINGAS View Post
Ha! Welcome to 95E300D's. Mine does NOT like the new fuel apprently, and might have a bad prechamber, or two. While never being a proponent of fuel additives, you might just try some Howes Meaner Cleaner adding some lubricity and helping atomization with a bad prechamber. A band aid, tobe sure, but....
A bad prechamber does not sound good. Sorry for the newb question, but is it possible to repair those?

The new fuel being lower sulfur fuels? I live in a very small town but have many options for fuel since there is a lot agriculture. Maybe I should try a different source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINGAS View Post
btw, have the fuel filters been changed out?
The spin on has been changed...waiting for o-ring for pre-filter.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Walnut Creek, CA & 1,150 miles S of Key West
Posts: 4,874
Along with the search terms PJC mentioned, add "resonance flaps" to the list.

They can cause the symptoms you describe when gummed up or malfunctioning.
__________________
Terry Allison
N. Calif. & Boca Chica, Panama

09' E320 Bluetec 77k (USA)
09' Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel 48k (S.A.)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-28-2007, 07:10 PM
drgreenthumb's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAllison View Post
Along with the search terms PJC mentioned, add "resonance flaps" to the list.

They can cause the symptoms you describe when gummed up or malfunctioning.
Did the search and I think it would be worth taking a look at that flap. Is cleaning it as simple as removing it and cleaning it up with carb cleaner?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-28-2007, 10:02 PM
pjc pjc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 276
Yes and no. Carb cleaner will work, but you really should clean the entire resonance tube/intake manifold, not just the flaps. And that's a very messy job. I know from experience. If possible, I'd recommend having an engine shop steam clean the parts . . . it will be worth the price.

BTW, make sure the electrical connector on top of the EGR valve is properly attached, with no broken wires. A broken wire there can cause this problem too, although logically it would not be limited to a cool engine.

Also check the electrical connections and vacuum lines to the flaps.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page