Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-07-2007, 05:02 PM
ichbineinekrous's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 251
85 turbo still 0-60 18 seconds at best...

19 to 19.5 is more the norm. In the past 3 months this is what Ive done:

valves adjusted, transmission shifts crisply and smoothly (once warmed up), diesel purge, ALDA removed then replaced (no difference) lines and overboost solenoid cleaned, wastegate spring adjusted to enable turbo to top out at 14 psi. (per new boost gauge), Fuel filters replaced, tank strainer replaced, cooling system flushed...maybe a couple other things that I can't remember also.

I'm not obsessed with achieving 13 sec. 0-60, I just want Gretchen to run at a respectable 14-15 secs. I now have a compression tester, and after reading the ip timing procedure I'm don't feel overly confident that I can address that myself. Any other ideas out there folks?
__________________
1985 300D Gretchen (Astral Silver) 220k
1983 240D 4-speed Evelyn (Orient Red) 203k


TANSTAAFL
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 550
The quickest and easiest thing that you haven't mentioned is adjusting the linkages. You want to be certain that pushing the go pedal down to just above the kickdown switch result in the ip giving maximum fueling. This frequently can cause a problem. Also need a clean air filter.

Assuming you've already knocked off those, does the tranny shift at the maximum shift points on the speedometer? If the tranny down shifts too fast you'll have a hard time achieving proper 0-60 speeds.

After that, I think you probably are looking at something more involved, like IP timing.
__________________
Tjohn

82 300 SD
77 450 SL (gone)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbineinekrous View Post
and after reading the ip timing procedure I'm don't feel overly confident that I can address that myself. Any other ideas out there folks?
With the '85, you can use the RIV lights to do injection timing. Much faster and more accurate than the procedure that you were reading.

Also, it's time to check the chain for elongation and see if the camshaft is late.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-07-2007, 05:32 PM
ichbineinekrous's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 251
yes to linkage adjustment, primarily had to take the slack out of the rod that travels down to the ip, the little cam/ stopper wasn't even making contact with the stop with linkage at full spread. Did air filter also, I'll check the mph at each shift tonight, I think its close to what it should be.

Last time I did the valves, I got inconsistent results checking the tc stretch. from 0 deg. to 5 deg. I did not use a dial gauge on the valve spring method which is poss. more accurate. I just rotated the engine till number 1 was at TDC and read the scale on the pulley. Did this 5 times, (and it was really fun bloodyin' up my knuckles on the back of the radiator) and got 5 different answers. I'll do a search on IRV lights as I'm not familiar. Thanks guys.
__________________
1985 300D Gretchen (Astral Silver) 220k
1983 240D 4-speed Evelyn (Orient Red) 203k


TANSTAAFL
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 PM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Ditto on the linkage. You can have a helper or heavy object press the accelerator to the floor and make sure the arm on the IP is touching it's stop bolt. Also make sure the rubber joint on the firewall is not cracking when the accelerator is pressed.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Zoonhollis's Avatar
Diesel Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 551
You mention replacing the ALDA, but did you actually adjust it to correspond to the newly-added boost? Shoving more air into the intake alone won't do it; it needs more fuel.
__________________
Matt
------
1995 E300 Diesel (Die Blau Frau)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-07-2007, 10:56 PM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Adjusting the ALDA after adjusting the boost is not necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-07-2007, 11:48 PM
lietuviai's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SW WA
Posts: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbineinekrous View Post
(and it was really fun bloodyin' up my knuckles on the back of the radiator)
Save your knuckles and use the pulley nut of the power steering pump to turn your engine. That's the way I've always done it. If your belts are tight enough, this method works great.
__________________
DJ


84 300D Turbodiesel 190K with 4 speed manual sold in 03/2012
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Zoonhollis's Avatar
Diesel Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
Adjusting the ALDA after adjusting the boost is not necessary.
It most certainly is. Boost means nothing if there's not a concomitant increase in fuel delivered. I learned this both by doing it myself, and from Herr Dieseling Doktor (to say nothing of basic chemistry/physics). Do a search if you don't believe me, or look here:

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/OM617BoostControl

If the originator of this thread has not done this adjustment, no wonder his car is still sluggish.
__________________
Matt
------
1995 E300 Diesel (Die Blau Frau)

Last edited by Zoonhollis; 08-08-2007 at 12:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-08-2007, 09:24 AM
ichbineinekrous's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 251
The progression of events was...

1. Sheared ALDA adjustment rod off attempting to enrich
2. Removed now useless ALDA
3. Installed boost gauge, turbo making 9 psi
4. Adjusted wastegate, turbo now produces 13-ish
5. Got freaked out about overboost, bought usd ALDA and installed
6. Made no adjustment, protective metal shroud is virgin

I plan to remove the intake manifold pressure sensor, after reading a post here about it getting completely crudded up, and to check the overboost protection solenoid. I'll prob. clean it out again, or at least T the boost gauge in between the ALDA and overboost solenoid to check the amount getting to the ALDA.
__________________
1985 300D Gretchen (Astral Silver) 220k
1983 240D 4-speed Evelyn (Orient Red) 203k


TANSTAAFL
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-08-2007, 09:45 AM
winmutt's Avatar
85 300D 4spd+tow+h4
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Atl Gawga
Posts: 9,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbineinekrous View Post
The progression of events was...

1. Sheared ALDA adjustment rod off attempting to enrich
2. Removed now useless ALDA
3. Installed boost gauge, turbo making 9 psi
4. Adjusted wastegate, turbo now produces 13-ish
5. Got freaked out about overboost, bought usd ALDA and installed
6. Made no adjustment, protective metal shroud is virgin

I plan to remove the intake manifold pressure sensor, after reading a post here about it getting completely crudded up, and to check the overboost protection solenoid. I'll prob. clean it out again, or at least T the boost gauge in between the ALDA and overboost solenoid to check the amount getting to the ALDA.
How are your injectors? Have you disabled your EGR and ARV yet?
__________________
http://superturbodiesel.com/images/sig.04.10.jpg
1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1994 E320 Cabriolet
1995 E320 Touring
2001 Eurovan FOR SALE
1985 300D car, sold and missed.
OBK #42
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Athens, IL
Posts: 120
Those stock turbos never were the best were they?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Zoonhollis's Avatar
Diesel Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 551
I can definitely understand if you're a little gun-shy about adjusting the new ALDA, but I still maintain that this must be done in order to take advantage of your increased boost. I would begin with 1/8 to 1/4 turns CCW.
__________________
Matt
------
1995 E300 Diesel (Die Blau Frau)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-08-2007, 10:03 AM
winmutt's Avatar
85 300D 4spd+tow+h4
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Atl Gawga
Posts: 9,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoonhollis View Post
I can definitely understand if you're a little gun-shy about adjusting the new ALDA, but I still maintain that this must be done in order to take advantage of your increased boost. I would begin with 1/8 to 1/4 turns CCW.
Uh no it does not have to be adjust for increased boost. Not at all. It probably SHOULD be adjust since it is new to that engine and probably not much of an adjustment.
__________________
http://superturbodiesel.com/images/sig.04.10.jpg
1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1994 E320 Cabriolet
1995 E320 Touring
2001 Eurovan FOR SALE
1985 300D car, sold and missed.
OBK #42
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-08-2007, 10:35 AM
TheDon's Avatar
Open Discussion Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Windermere,FL
Posts: 13,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoonhollis View Post
It most certainly is. Boost means nothing if there's not a concomitant increase in fuel delivered. I learned this both by doing it myself, and from Herr Dieseling Doktor (to say nothing of basic chemistry/physics). Do a search if you don't believe me, or look here:

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/OM617BoostControl

If the originator of this thread has not done this adjustment, no wonder his car is still sluggish.
just letting you know.. Lance(FI).. knows his stuff


You could remove the ALDA and see how that works for you
__________________

|1983 300D| OM617 239k Miles|Red|"Passion"|
|1982 300D Euro|OM617 NA| Thistle Green|"Granny Smith|
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page