Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 3,956
Easy Keyless Entry Upgrade

I thought this was a clever little mod so I am posting a link to it here....I have no financial or other interest in it, in fact I don't even know the guy who developed it I just think it looks ingenious so I figured there might be some board members who would appreciate knowing about its existence:

http://mbca.cartama.net/showthread.php?t=22193

__________________
Marty D.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Cervan's Avatar
Crazy mechanic.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: olympia washington
Posts: 1,809
Its a good idea i like the concept of using the allready, fantastic switches mercedes has supplied to us.
__________________
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

As long as they would add one additional commandment for you to keep thy religion to thyself.
George Carlin (Wonder where he is now..)

1981 240d (engine donor 1983 240d) recently rebuilt engine hurray! - No more.. fought a tree and the tree won.

pearl black 1983 240d 4speed (Converted!@$$%) atleast the tranny was rebuilt.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Jeremy5848's Avatar
Registered Biodiesel User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sonoma Wine Country
Posts: 8,394
This is nice but not really necessary since the existing system allows central locking/unlocking from either door or the trunk/tailgate. What I'd really like to have is a system like this for my 123, since it has central locking only from the driver's door. That would mean opening up the driver's door and installing a mechanism.

In the specific case of my 124, the central locking doesn't work from the trunk. Central locking does work from either door, locking and locking all four doors, the trunk, and the gas flap. The trunk lock works only the trunk. Does this mean that there's a bad valve there somewhere at the trunk latch?
__________________

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-biodiesel family
1995 E300D (W124) . .239,000 miles My car
1996 E300D (W210) . .313,000 miles Wife's car
Santa Rosa population 170,685 (2012)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 722,685
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-02-2007, 01:59 PM
pawoSD's Avatar
Dieselsüchtiger
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 15,107
1983 and earlier W126 it won't work to just use the trunk pump for the switch, as the drivers door is only a switch, with no vacuum line to it from the pump. Thus it would open all doors except that one. The better solution for the earlier models is to install an actuator in the drivers door that raises and lowers that lock, which in turn activates the pump and all the other locks. I set it up that way on my car and its been working flawlessly for a long time. The same method can be applied to the W123 locking system....if it still works that is. On the later cars where they added the locking via trunk also, they have a vacuum line to the drivers door, which allows it to work by just controlling the pump.
__________________
-diesel is not just a fuel, its a way of life-
'15 GLK250 Bluetec 83k - mine - (OC-85,500)
'17 Metris(VITO!) - 13k - wifes (OC-17k)
'01 E320 Wagon - 159k - mine (OC-160,000)
'01 E320 - 179k - dad's (OC-182,500)
'07 E350 Wagon - 131k - dad's (OC-132,500)
'01 SL500 - 51k - dad's (OC-52,000)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 57k - Brothers (OC-64,000)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-02-2007, 02:17 PM
rg2098's Avatar
Detailing Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 2,415
I installed keyless on my W123. I payed $70 shipped for a keyless kit and 2 actuators. I installed one actuator in the bottom of the driver door to trip the factory vac locks. That was the easiest part. The hard part was fishing the wires through the door boots back to the dash and doing a clean install of the module.

Worth every penny, more such since my lock cylinders were glued **** by vandals.
__________________
Adam Lumsden
(83) 300D
Vice-President of the MBCA International Stars Section
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I also have a keyless entry in my W123. It's pretty simple, just one actuator installed on the driver's door and the vacuum system takes care of everything else.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-02-2007, 05:27 PM
greasybenz's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5848 View Post

In the specific case of my 124, the central locking doesn't work from the trunk. Central locking does work from either door, locking and locking all four doors, the trunk, and the gas flap. The trunk lock works only the trunk. Does this mean that there's a bad valve there somewhere at the trunk latch?
I think something's up with yours, dont know if its a leak or the latch havent really explored that much (and sure hope not to) but i know i can lock and unlock all doors and fuel-door from the trunk lock.
__________________
Current:
05 E320 CDI
07 GL320 CDI
08 Sprinter
05 Dodge Cummins
01 Dodge Cummins

Previous
2004 E55 AMG
2002 C32 AMG (#2)
1995 E300
1978 300D
1987 300D
2002 C32 AMG(blown motor :[
1981 300SD
1983 300SD
1987 300SDL
2002 Jetta TDI
1996 S420
1995 S500
1993 190E 2.6
1992 190E 2.3
1985 190E 2.3 5-Speed
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Jeremy5848's Avatar
Registered Biodiesel User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sonoma Wine Country
Posts: 8,394
One more project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasybenz View Post
I think something's up with yours, dont know if its a leak or the latch havent really explored that much (and sure hope not to) but i know i can lock and unlock all doors and fuel-door from the trunk lock.
Thanks, Ruben, I guess I'll have to open it up and see.
__________________

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-biodiesel family
1995 E300D (W124) . .239,000 miles My car
1996 E300D (W210) . .313,000 miles Wife's car
Santa Rosa population 170,685 (2012)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 722,685
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Jeremy5848's Avatar
Registered Biodiesel User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sonoma Wine Country
Posts: 8,394
Keyless entry kit, cheep-cheep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg2098 View Post
I installed keyless on my W123. I payed $70 shipped for a keyless kit and 2 actuators. I installed one actuator in the bottom of the driver door to trip the factory vac locks. That was the easiest part. The hard part was fishing the wires through the door boots back to the dash and doing a clean install of the module.

Worth every penny, more such since my lock cylinders were glued **** by vandals.
I could do that! Would something like this eBay item work? Seems suspiciously inexpensive....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAR-UNIVERSAL-KEYLESS-ENTRY-SYSTEM-CENTRAL-LOCK-KIT_W0QQitemZ260154144110QQihZ016QQcategoryZ33723QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jeremy
__________________

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-biodiesel family
1995 E300D (W124) . .239,000 miles My car
1996 E300D (W210) . .313,000 miles Wife's car
Santa Rosa population 170,685 (2012)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 722,685
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Phil's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sonoma County, California
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5848 View Post
This is nice but not really necessary since the existing system allows central locking/unlocking from either door or the trunk/tailgate. What I'd really like to have is a system like this for my 123, since it has central locking only from the driver's door. That would mean opening up the driver's door and installing a mechanism.

In the specific case of my 124, the central locking doesn't work from the trunk. Central locking does work from either door, locking and locking all four doors, the trunk, and the gas flap. The trunk lock works only the trunk. Does this mean that there's a bad valve there somewhere at the trunk latch?
I had to replace the module in the drivers door of my car and when I did I ran a vac line to the port on it and found that the door will lock and unlock with vac/pressure so I plan on installing a keyless entry system soon. I e-mailed the person making these and am waiting for an answer.
__________________
1983 300SD
200000miles
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Jeremy5848's Avatar
Registered Biodiesel User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sonoma Wine Country
Posts: 8,394
Fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasybenz View Post
I think something's up with yours, dont know if its a leak or the latch havent really explored that much (and sure hope not to) but i know i can lock and unlock all doors and fuel-door from the trunk lock.
This turned out to be another remnant of the PO-installed aftermarket alarm system. I had removed most of it but it appears that there are wires all over the car, tapping into various circuits. [This is the 1987 W124 car, of course.]

After checking the trunk lock actuator and confirming that it was working correctly, I removed the rear seat to check the vacuum /pressure pump. I knew the pump worked but when I checked the wiring I saw that the yellow wire to the trunk lock (brings power to the switch so the key in the trunk lock can lock/unlock everything else) had been cut and a wire pair spliced into it....running who knows where! I restored the original wiring and all is back to normal. All three locks now can lock and unlock all locks.

Now if I can just find and fix the modification that causes the trunk light and the rear seat light to switch on and off together....

Jeremy
__________________

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-biodiesel family
1995 E300D (W124) . .239,000 miles My car
1996 E300D (W210) . .313,000 miles Wife's car
Santa Rosa population 170,685 (2012)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 722,685
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-03-2007, 01:33 AM
rg2098's Avatar
Detailing Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5848 View Post

Exactly what you need. Mine only came with 2 actuators for a "coupe". I only used one on the driver door.

For a early W126 (all doors only unlock from the driver door), all you need is the Keyless entry module and no actuators. However, you need to run a vac line tee-d off another door to the drivers door.

For later W126 and others (unlock all from trunk or passenger door as well) , all you need in the module.
__________________
Adam Lumsden
(83) 300D
Vice-President of the MBCA International Stars Section
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-03-2007, 03:52 AM
MBeige's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I also have a keyless entry in my W123. It's pretty simple, just one actuator installed on the driver's door and the vacuum system takes care of everything else.
Did you also install an electric pump to regenerate vacuum or just rely on 5-10 cycles of the locking system?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBeige View Post
Did you also install an electric pump to regenerate vacuum or just rely on 5-10 cycles of the locking system?
No, I just left the original vacuum system alone, I can lock and unlock the car a few times without starting it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-08-2007, 01:48 AM
Jeremy5848's Avatar
Registered Biodiesel User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sonoma Wine Country
Posts: 8,394
Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg2098 View Post
Exactly what you need. Mine only came with 2 actuators for a "coupe". I only used one on the driver door....
The "suspiciously inexpensive" kit ($31.00 delivered) arrived today. It has passed the "smoke test" and the "bench test." The actuator has a surprisingly strong 'kick,' it should have no problem operating the lock in my '85 300D. Now I'll have to remove the driver's inner door panel and see if I can figure out how to mount the actuator.

__________________

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-biodiesel family
1995 E300D (W124) . .239,000 miles My car
1996 E300D (W210) . .313,000 miles Wife's car
Santa Rosa population 170,685 (2012)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 722,685
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page