Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Caduceus's Avatar
123 Or Bust
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Great North
Posts: 143
-49c

And my 82 300d started! yay...off to work. -31c in calgary but -49 with windchill. of course not even my wipers are working but it started!

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
-24°F..........w/o wind chill

-24°F. is cold.

That's a fine engine if it started without any block heater.

BTW, the engine doesn't care about wind chill..........only you do.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Unofficial wormcan opener
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashland, MA
Posts: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
And my 82 300d started! yay...off to work. -31c in calgary but -49 with windchill. of course not even my wipers are working but it started!
Fortunately for you, wind-chill doesn’t affect mechanical objects, just your cold skin. I would start to be concerned about the fuel gelling though.
__________________
1987 300TD 309, xxx 2.8.2014 10,000 mile OCI


Be careful of the toes you step on today, as they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow. anonymous

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter won’t mind.” Dr. Seuss
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Caduceus's Avatar
123 Or Bust
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Great North
Posts: 143
Well I consider my car a somebody and maybe it DOES care about wind chill , anyways thanks for the tip
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 AM
JimmyL's Avatar
Rogue T Intolerant!!!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Texas (DFW)
Posts: 9,673
I couldn't even have walked out to my car in temps that cold, so it wouldn't have mattered it the car started or not!
Sounds like you have a very healthy diesel Mercedes.
__________________
Jimmy L.
'05 Acura TL 6MT
2001 ML430 My Spare

Gone:
'95 E300 188K "Batmobile" Texas Unfriendly Black
'85 300TD 235K "The Wagon" Texas Friendly White
'80 240D 154K "China" Scar engine installed
'81 300TD 240K "Smash"
'80 240D 230K "The Squash"
'81 240D 293K"Scar" Rear ended harder than Elton John
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-28-2008, 11:18 AM
zu! zu! is offline
I've become my Dad!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 493
Holy Smokes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
And my 82 300d started! yay...off to work. -31c in calgary but -49 with windchill. of course not even my wipers are working but it started!
Geez, that's bloody rough! Over here in Metro Van, -4 and chance of snow (maybe 4 cm) and they're a 'snowfall warning' is in effect! Yep, we're a bunch of whiners over here.

Yesterday at Port Moody I drove to Mass in the morning and because we had a visitor, used the Astro Van with regular 4-season tyres. There was a little snow on the ground before Mass, but just one hour later, I had 6 inches on my van!

Slipped and slid all the way home. Then drove out with the Benz (blizzak-equipped) and put paid to all those myths that a RWD can't handle snow Snow got washed away by rain by nightfall, but roads everywhere now are ice-covered! Geez.Gimme snow any day over ice
__________________
1987 300TD
1984 300D
755,000 KM and going strong
BC Canada
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Graplr's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio300TDTdriver View Post
Fortunately for you, wind-chill doesn’t affect mechanical objects, just your cold skin. I would start to be concerned about the fuel gelling though.
I've seen -25.5C on temp sensor this winter. And it has registered in the -20sC more than a few times. Right now we are in a 'heat wave'. It is 43F out. Before this, I think we had been below freezing for close to a month. But it won't last. Tomorrow has a low of -16F and Wednesday a high of -1F forecasted.

BTW, wind chill is the biggest load of bs ever. Say it is the temperatures that were stated above. -31C and -49C with the windchill. Say I stand butt naked outside. There is NO POSSIBLE way my body could ever cool past -31C down to the wind chill 'temperature' of -49C. You can't get colder than the air temperature. It can FEEL more bitter with the wind, but all that needs to be said is, it is such and such temperature and WINDY...not that the wind chill is such and such.

Wind chill was created by the media (TV meteorologists) for shock value. Typical news people.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,307
Wow if it got that cold here I wouldn't be outside trying to start the car, I'd be looking at property in a warmer area!
__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-28-2008, 02:01 PM
BioBens's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montana
Posts: 267
-25F here and the Benz and BMW both start right up. both are garaged and plugged in onite.
__________________
1984 300 TDT 200k mi.
1982 300 SD 65k orig mi. (sold)
1985 BMW 524 TD 90k mi.
1996 Ford Explorer 225k mi. (still strong)
1997 Clackacraft drift boat
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Unofficial wormcan opener
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashland, MA
Posts: 2,602
No it wasn't the media this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graplr View Post
I've seen -25.5C on temp sensor this winter. And it has registered in the -20sC more than a few times. Right now we are in a 'heat wave'. It is 43F out. Before this, I think we had been below freezing for close to a month. But it won't last. Tomorrow has a low of -16F and Wednesday a high of -1F forecasted.

BTW, wind chill is the biggest load of bs ever. Say it is the temperatures that were stated above. -31C and -49C with the windchill. Say I stand butt naked outside. There is NO POSSIBLE way my body could ever cool past -31C down to the wind chill 'temperature' of -49C. You can't get colder than the air temperature. It can FEEL more bitter with the wind, but all that needs to be said is, it is such and such temperature and WINDY...not that the wind chill is such and such.

Wind chill was created by the media (TV meteorologists) for shock value. Typical news people.
"The original wind chill formula was derived from experiments conducted in 1939 by Antarctic explorers, Paul Siple and Charles Passel. These hardy scientists measured how long it took for water to freeze in a small plastic cylinder when it was placed outside in the wind. Over the years, the formula was modified somewhat, but remained based on the Antarctic experiments."


This formula was obsolete and in certain circumstances created confusion. Thus in april 2000 Environment Canada held an Internet Workshop [sic] on wind chill for it to be better adapted to reality. Rather than be based on a water cylinder, "the new index is based on a model of how fast a human face loses heat. We chose the face because it is the part of the body most often exposed to severe winter weather, assuming the rest of the body is clothed appropriately for the weather". Reading of the assumptions taken into account for this new index is relevant. Here is an example of these assumptions: "It [the wind chill] uses a calm wind threshold of 4.8 km/h; this value has been obtained by observing the speed at which people walk at intersections."

In case you want to read more: http://ptaff.ca/humidex/?lang=en_CA
__________________
1987 300TD 309, xxx 2.8.2014 10,000 mile OCI


Be careful of the toes you step on today, as they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow. anonymous

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter won’t mind.” Dr. Seuss
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
Windchill won't effect the lowest temperature your engine will reach, but it will effect how long it takes for the engine to reach that temperature. It will also effect the temperature at which your block heater keeps the block. The wind will take away the heat produced from the block heater faster than still air would.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-28-2008, 03:37 PM
2.5Turbo's Avatar
602 648 113 A630
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 900
Yeah that is terribly cold. I posted on another thread about my trip back to school recently. I took the train across the country and when we got into North Dakota, the temps were down near -20F. That night it got down to -25. Under -20F, the trains are limited to 65mph due to the risk of broken rails at that temperature. All the sink drains on the cars froze up...a maintenance worker at the station stop in Minot, ND thawed out all the drains with a flare, only to have them freeze up again shortly after we got underway. And the condensation clouds from the diesel exhaust were amazing. The dishwasher drain in the dining car also froze up, so for lunch the next day we were all eating on plastic plates and with plastic cups.

No problems with the diesel locomotives though. If I remember correctly they all have fuel tank heaters to keep the fuel from gelling. And it was a good thing too, since they are what provide the power for heating the whole train.
__________________
Dale

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...MG_2277sig.jpg

1990 300D 2.5 Turbo -155k
2000 E430 - 103k
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 4x4 - 11k
2014 VW Passat TDI SE - 7k Bro's Diesel
2006 E320 CDI - 128k Pop's Benz


Pre-glow - A moment of silence in honor of Rudolph Diesel
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Graplr's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio300TDTdriver View Post
"The original wind chill formula was derived from experiments conducted in 1939 by Antarctic explorers, Paul Siple and Charles Passel. These hardy scientists measured how long it took for water to freeze in a small plastic cylinder when it was placed outside in the wind. Over the years, the formula was modified somewhat, but remained based on the Antarctic experiments."


This formula was obsolete and in certain circumstances created confusion. Thus in april 2000 Environment Canada held an Internet Workshop [sic] on wind chill for it to be better adapted to reality. Rather than be based on a water cylinder, "the new index is based on a model of how fast a human face loses heat. We chose the face because it is the part of the body most often exposed to severe winter weather, assuming the rest of the body is clothed appropriately for the weather". Reading of the assumptions taken into account for this new index is relevant. Here is an example of these assumptions: "It [the wind chill] uses a calm wind threshold of 4.8 km/h; this value has been obtained by observing the speed at which people walk at intersections."

In case you want to read more: http://ptaff.ca/humidex/?lang=en_CA

Yes, as you stated, THE ORIGINAL WINDCHILL!!

Paul Douglas, a meteorologist for the Twin Cities and big player in the industry was part of the REVAMPING of the original windchill for the newer system. He has stated this several times on his forecasts.

Windchill is bogus. There is NO reason for the numbers other than to shock people. Otherwise not just say, the temp will be -20F and very windy. I can figure out it will feel bitter if it is cold and windy. I don't need some arbitrary number along with the ACTUAL temperature.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graplr View Post
Windchill is bogus. There is NO reason for the numbers other than to shock people. Otherwise not just say, the temp will be -20F and very windy. I can figure out it will feel bitter if it is cold and windy. I don't need some arbitrary number along with the ACTUAL temperature.
Clearly, you don't understand what the windchill number represents. The wind causes more heat loss by any object that is warmer than the current ambient air temperature. In the case of an object that's at 98°, the heat loss with wind is significant. Therefore, the windchill number represents the effective temperature that would be equivalent to the the heat loss absent of wind.

Naturally, you can believe what you wish..............
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-28-2008, 06:12 PM
PanzerSD's Avatar
Schießenstern
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by zu! View Post
Geez, that's bloody rough! Over here in Metro Van, -4 and chance of snow (maybe 4 cm) and they're a 'snowfall warning' is in effect! Yep, we're a bunch of whiners over here.

Yesterday at Port Moody I drove to Mass in the morning and because we had a visitor, used the Astro Van with regular 4-season tyres. There was a little snow on the ground before Mass, but just one hour later, I had 6 inches on my van!

Slipped and slid all the way home. Then drove out with the Benz (blizzak-equipped) and put paid to all those myths that a RWD can't handle snow Snow got washed away by rain by nightfall, but roads everywhere now are ice-covered! Geez.Gimme snow any day over ice
Here in Sask, we had 10-15cm lastnight and winds sustaining 40Kmh drifts 4 to 5 high on the highways...didn't go to work today, doubt me SD would have been able to trudge thru all that. it would have started though.. Expecting to see -57 overnight and into the morning tomorrow...

__________________
RIP: 80 300SD
RIP: 79 450SEL
2002 E430 4matic (212,000km)

____________________________
FACEBOOK:
PANZER450
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page