PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/)
-   Diesel Discussion (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/)
-   -   For those who have balanced driveshafts (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/213740-those-who-have-balanced-driveshafts.html)

Bajaman 02-14-2008 01:20 PM

For those who have balanced driveshafts
 
I am gearing up to do my manual swap into my TD. It is unclear to me whether the whole shaft needs to be balanced as a unit, or if the front shaft is marked, removed and balanced separately. I've read many posts about 'be careful when you take this apart or you'll have to get it balanced'. This implies that the two pieces are done together somehow. How have all those who've done this swap had their shafts balanced?

bgkast 02-14-2008 01:44 PM

As a unit.

Stevo 02-14-2008 01:54 PM

Take a punch and mark both halves near U joint. Later W123s are "supposedly" marked but its a good idea too mark it yourself. That is if your planning on putting it back as a 'unit".

94mgm 02-14-2008 02:04 PM

who balances mb drive shafts. Remember they don't have u-joints at the ends...

Bajaman 02-14-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94mgm (Post 1763716)
who balances mb drive shafts. Remember they don't have u-joints at the ends...

Because it doesn't have u-joints, you're implying that it doesn't need balanced??? Every rotating assembly needs balanced to some degree.

94mgm 02-14-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bajaman (Post 1763869)
Because it doesn't have u-joints, you're implying that it doesn't need balanced??? Every rotating assembly needs balanced to some degree.

No, you didnt understand me.

I'm saying you will have a tough time finding somebody with a machine that is capable of hooking up to your axle-assy since it does not have the usual yoke end connections.

The Gears 02-14-2008 08:45 PM

Power Train Industries has adapters for all MB drive shafts. i believe they are a franchise and are all over the place.

bgkast 02-14-2008 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo (Post 1763701)
Take a punch and mark both halves near U joint. Later W123s are "supposedly" marked but its a good idea too mark it yourself. That is if your planning on putting it back as a 'unit".

He will have to get it shortened and re-balanced for his manual swap (assuming he is using a 240D Drive shaft)

Stevo 02-15-2008 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgkast (Post 1764288)
He will have to get it shortened and re-balanced for his manual swap (assuming he is using a 240D Drive shaft)

Where'd you go, that place in Portland? "Bearing Service"

Bajaman 02-18-2008 05:55 PM

I can't believe it
 
I can't find anywhere but some place in CA to do my driveshaft. I called places in Chicago and Indianapolis, and nobody does this. Now I know what 94mgm was talking about. I thought it would be as simple as chucking it up in a lathe... Anybody have any leads somewhere closer than CA. This is driving me nuts
bb

tompaah7503 02-18-2008 08:36 PM

Check around with custom car/engine builders, they probably shorten and lengthen shafts all the time, maybe they can give you some advice. I had mine done at a machine shop specializing in drag racing engines.

ForcedInduction 02-18-2008 09:57 PM

Yes, race shops can usually do it.

Stevo 02-18-2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bajaman (Post 1767481)
I can't find anywhere but some place in CA to do my driveshaft. I called places in Chicago and Indianapolis, and nobody does this. Now I know what 94mgm was talking about. I thought it would be as simple as chucking it up in a lathe... Anybody have any leads somewhere closer than CA. This is driving me nuts
bb

Driveline Service, Portland Or 800 227 8608

Bajaman 02-19-2008 09:26 AM

Finally found a place that said they could do it Rack&Axle in Indianapolis. The person I spoke with didn't know for sure if they could lengthen it, but at least they will balance it. Now I just need to figure out if I can get access to a lathe...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website