Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia PA metro area
Posts: 263
LED replacements for light bulbs?

It seems that the bulbs on the interior of my car are a bit on the dim side compared to what I'm used to in newer cars. Both dome lights and in the dash.

Obviously higher-wattage bulbs would have potential downsides. Does anyone make drop-in replacements that use LEDs? Is this even possible?
__________________
1982 240D automatic
307K on the odometer ...about 325K now
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Chad300tdt's Avatar
SE pa BenzFest 8/19/2017
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 4,000
LEDlight.com sells them. I'll post a link to the bulbs when I find it again.

Festoon LED bulb


Dash Cluster LED bulbs

These bulbs are completely dimmable and are plug and play. No mods of any kind needed.


LEDs as Instrument/dash lights in 123 series
Check post#16 in this thread to see a pic of my cluster after the LED installation.


WARNING: never use higher wattage bulbs. You'll end up with melted optics. LEDs are longer lasting, brighter, and much cooler.
__________________
10th Annual Southeast PA Benzfest start at post #1472

Chad
1985 300CD - "Gladys" - 255,XXX miles - FOR SALE
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 SXT AWD
1998 Acura 3.0 CL
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320

Last edited by Chad300tdt; 02-15-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 PM
zu! zu! is offline
I've become my Dad!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 482
What about...

Thanks for the links Chad. I was just wondering...have you ever thought of replacing some of your exterior lights with LEDs? I'm talking in particular of the Reverse lights and Brake lights. I've seen some pretty bright-looking ones on ebay. What do you think of those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad300tdt View Post
LEDs as Instrument/dash lights in 123 series
Check post#16 in this thread to see a pic of my cluster after the LED installation.


WARNING: never use higher wattage bulbs. You'll end up with melted optics. LEDs are longer lasting, brighter, and much cooler.
__________________
1987 300TD
1984 300D
755,000 KM and going strong
BC Canada
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Chad300tdt's Avatar
SE pa BenzFest 8/19/2017
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 4,000
They offer them at ledlight.com also using the super flux LEDs. I'm going to get them and also do some kind of third light at the same time, I've got to wait and finish some other stuff first though.
__________________
10th Annual Southeast PA Benzfest start at post #1472

Chad
1985 300CD - "Gladys" - 255,XXX miles - FOR SALE
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 SXT AWD
1998 Acura 3.0 CL
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-2008, 04:24 PM
blackestate's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 948
Is it the same bulb for the dome light, and the ones in the doors (300sd)
How many does it require to replace the dash bulbs?
thanks
Doug
__________________
83 300SD Dark Silver Dark brown inside
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Chad300tdt's Avatar
SE pa BenzFest 8/19/2017
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackestate View Post
Is it the same bulb for the dome light, and the ones in the doors (300sd)
How many does it require to replace the dash bulbs?
thanks
Doug
I'm not sure about the door lamps. If they are also a festoon bulb #6411 as the dome is, it would work. I only replaced the 2 bulbs that shine on the gauge faces. You can also use 74 Wedge base type LEDs for the other dash lights, optic spider and CCU. The cool white LEDs give a nice clean light that is dimmer than the stock bulbs, but they won't melt anything. I recently took all the 2721 bulbs out of my car until I replace them with LEDs. A correct wattage, stock bulb started melting my temp wheel socket.
__________________
10th Annual Southeast PA Benzfest start at post #1472

Chad
1985 300CD - "Gladys" - 255,XXX miles - FOR SALE
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 SXT AWD
1998 Acura 3.0 CL
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-15-2008, 04:41 PM
blackestate's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 948
I was looking for more light, I have a hard time seeing the trip odometer. And at dusk I have a hard time seeing the gauges because the lights are so dim.
LED's or clean and just new oem lights, which is better?
__________________
83 300SD Dark Silver Dark brown inside
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Chad300tdt's Avatar
SE pa BenzFest 8/19/2017
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackestate View Post
I was looking for more light, I have a hard time seeing the trip odometer. And at dusk I have a hard time seeing the gauges because the lights are so dim.
LED's or clean and just new oem lights, which is better?
For the Instrument Cluster lights, the link I posted previously is the best and brightest bulb I've found. It illuminates the cluster so every spot is very easy to see. You can also clean the cluster light tunnels and prisms and silver tape them to seal light leaks and give better results.
__________________
10th Annual Southeast PA Benzfest start at post #1472

Chad
1985 300CD - "Gladys" - 255,XXX miles - FOR SALE
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 SXT AWD
1998 Acura 3.0 CL
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia PA metro area
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by zu! View Post
Thanks for the links Chad. I was just wondering...have you ever thought of replacing some of your exterior lights with LEDs? I'm talking in particular of the Reverse lights and Brake lights. I've seen some pretty bright-looking ones on ebay. What do you think of those?
According to the Advance Auto website (http://www.partsamerica.com), the tail light bulbs for my car are a 5008 and a 7506. The reverse bulb is a 7506 as well. Based on a search at ledlight.com they don't carry replacements for those, unfortunately.
__________________
1982 240D automatic
307K on the odometer ...about 325K now
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-15-2008, 06:11 PM
pawoSD's Avatar
Dieselsüchtiger
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 14,861
I'd probably consider replacing the dome lights with LED festoon lamps, but the dash bulbs are waaaay too expensive. You can re-do every bulb in the dash for less than half the $$ a single LED replacement would cost! It'd get real expensive to use 7-8 LED replacements. That'd be like $70!

The festoon bulbs aren't exactly cheap at $17 each either!

I think I'll stick with normal bulbs.
__________________
-diesel is not just a fuel, its a way of life-
'89 420SEL 168k - mine (OC-170,000)
'93 190D 2.2 - 223k - mine (OC-222,700)
'01 E320 Wagon - 149k - mine (OC-154,000)
'05 C240 4matic Wagon - 153k - wifes (OC-154,500)
'01 E320 - 162k - Dad's (OC-163,500)
'07 E350 Wagon - 116k - dad's (OC-121,500)
'02 E320 - 193k - Brother's (OC - 192,000)
'09 E350 4matic Sedan - 84k - Brothers (OC-85,500)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Chad300tdt's Avatar
SE pa BenzFest 8/19/2017
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by herring View Post
According to the Advance Auto website (http://www.partsamerica.com), the tail light bulbs for my car are a 5008 and a 7506. The reverse bulb is a 7506 as well. Based on a search at ledlight.com they don't carry replacements for those, unfortunately.
I can't find it right now, but I have the numbers somewhere for the ones I was going to buy. I'll try to find it and post when I do.
__________________
10th Annual Southeast PA Benzfest start at post #1472

Chad
1985 300CD - "Gladys" - 255,XXX miles - FOR SALE
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 SXT AWD
1998 Acura 3.0 CL
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Chad300tdt's Avatar
SE pa BenzFest 8/19/2017
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post
I'd probably consider replacing the dome lights with LED festoon lamps, but the dash bulbs are waaaay too expensive. You can re-do every bulb in the dash for less than half the $$ a single LED replacement would cost! It'd get real expensive to use 7-8 LED replacements. That'd be like $70!

The festoon bulbs aren't exactly cheap at $17 each either!

I think I'll stick with normal bulbs.
You only need 2 for the cluster at $9 each and the 74 wedge base bulbs are like a buck a piece. More expensive, but they will never need to be replaced again. Plus the benefit of less heat to the plastic parts.
__________________
10th Annual Southeast PA Benzfest start at post #1472

Chad
1985 300CD - "Gladys" - 255,XXX miles - FOR SALE
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 SXT AWD
1998 Acura 3.0 CL
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Chad300tdt's Avatar
SE pa BenzFest 8/19/2017
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad300tdt View Post
I can't find it right now, but I have the numbers somewhere for the ones I was going to buy. I'll try to find it and post when I do.
Here it is brake light

This will fit the socket, just check the dimensions in the diagram make sure it will fit behind your lens. It will fit my wagon, but I'm not sure of other models.
__________________
10th Annual Southeast PA Benzfest start at post #1472

Chad
1985 300CD - "Gladys" - 255,XXX miles - FOR SALE
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 SXT AWD
1998 Acura 3.0 CL
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia PA metro area
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post

The festoon bulbs aren't exactly cheap at $17 each either!

I think I'll stick with normal bulbs.
The advantage to replacing those is not just the brightness, but the near-elimination of battery drain. I've been doing a fair bit of cleaning on my recently-purchased car and the doors and trunk are staying open for a while, in cold weather. I pulled the bulb on the trunk because it's open, and of course I could pull the fuse, etc.

I'd imagine with LED replacements you could leave your doors or trunk open for days (i.e. by accident) without killing the battery.

I was up at my mom's and came across an LED flashlight in the basement that had been left behind by a contractor. It had been on for a week and was still glowing away.
__________________
1982 240D automatic
307K on the odometer ...about 325K now
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-15-2008, 06:47 PM
pawoSD's Avatar
Dieselsüchtiger
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 14,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad300tdt View Post
Here it is brake light

This will fit the socket, just check the dimensions in the diagram make sure it will fit behind your lens. It will fit my wagon, but I'm not sure of other models.
Wow, now THAT is an LED lamp! Thats awesome! Has anyone used these before? I'd consider it because my current setup (4x 21 watt incandescent) uses a BIT of juice.....and it'd be nice to eliminate that....not to mention the instant-on and brightness of LED's..... It would cut my power usage of my brake lights by almost 70%.....from 84 watts to about 23. That'd be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herring View Post
The advantage to replacing those is not just the brightness, but the near-elimination of battery drain. I've been doing a fair bit of cleaning on my recently-purchased car and the doors and trunk are staying open for a while, in cold weather. I pulled the bulb on the trunk because it's open, and of course I could pull the fuse, etc.

I'd imagine with LED replacements you could leave your doors or trunk open for days (i.e. by accident) without killing the battery.

I was up at my mom's and came across an LED flashlight in the basement that had been left behind by a contractor. It had been on for a week and was still glowing away.
That was my reason for wanting one too....brighter + almost no power drain.
__________________
-diesel is not just a fuel, its a way of life-
'89 420SEL 168k - mine (OC-170,000)
'93 190D 2.2 - 223k - mine (OC-222,700)
'01 E320 Wagon - 149k - mine (OC-154,000)
'05 C240 4matic Wagon - 153k - wifes (OC-154,500)
'01 E320 - 162k - Dad's (OC-163,500)
'07 E350 Wagon - 116k - dad's (OC-121,500)
'02 E320 - 193k - Brother's (OC - 192,000)
'09 E350 4matic Sedan - 84k - Brothers (OC-85,500)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page