Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-2008, 02:53 PM
ImBroke's Avatar
Diesel way of Life
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,181
W123 Trans Rebuild Video

Anybody ever see this video before? Or deal with these people before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170198565130&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BID_IT&refitem=170196824277&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CategoryProximity&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=its%3DS%252BI

I'd like to see it before buying it, or hear from someone who has.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-05-2008, 02:55 PM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I wouldn't trust any rebuilt-it-at-home kind of videos.

Read their webpage, they say you should get rid of the primary fuel filter because it plugs up too fast.

Quote:
Differential Gear Oil Change DVD - $23.98
$24 to tell you how to remove two plugs, reinstall the drain plug and fill it with 1.5Q oil?

Quote:
ALDA Fuel Pump Adjustment DVD - Get more power! - $33.98
$34 to tell you how to loosen a 10mm locknut and turn a screw?

Their whole website just screams shadetree mechanic SCAMMERS.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 03-05-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2008, 04:54 PM
jshadows's Avatar
Bob
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Paris, FR
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post


$24 to tell you how to remove two plugs, reinstall the drain plug and fill it with 1.5Q oil?
maybe $23.98 of the $24 to tell you to remove the top plug first?
__________________
1982 300TD 210K miles ("The Replacement" aka "The Anvil") - SOLD
1979 300SD 245K miles (never ending project)
2007 Pinarello F3:13
1995 Ducati 916 (SOLD, sniff)
1999 Ducati 900SSie (SOLD)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada.
Posts: 6,510
This item on mercedes automatic transmissions appears to run for about three hours. Of course nothing beats prior experience when evaluating if a used part should be used again.
I suspect it is not bad value really. If nothing else in a video format you would know what you where getting into before tackling a transmission.
As with most things the first time would be the worse usually. Really could be quite educational as well. Express your concerns to the vendor.
Perhaps he might give you some prior customer refferences to check with. Never hurts to try. Think of the rush telling guys like us what exactly you suspect is wrong with our transmissions six months or so from now. Priceless.
I also read your thread about the jackhammering noise today. It might not hurt to have a mechanic listen for a minute. Just may not be good to drive with depending on what it is. At present I cannot even speculate on the actual cause. The sudden smoking as well hopefully will help diagnose.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 PM
lutzTD's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lutz, Florida (N of Tampa)
Posts: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry123400 View Post
This item on mercedes automatic transmissions appears to run for about three hours. Of course nothing beats prior experience when evaluating if a used part should be used again.
I suspect it is not bad value really. If nothing else in a video format you would know what you where getting into before tackling a transmission.
As with most things the first time would be the worse usually. Really could be quite educational as well. Express your concerns to the vendor.
Perhaps he might give you some prior customer refferences to check with. Never hurts to try. Think of the rush telling guys like us what exactly you suspect is wrong with our transmissions six months or so from now. Priceless.
I also read your thread about the jackhammering noise today. It might not hurt to have a mechanic listen for a minute. Just may not be good to drive with depending on what it is. At present I cannot even speculate on the actual cause. The sudden smoking as well hopefully will help diagnose.
if you buy it please give a review. I bought one for sunroof repair, not sure if its the same guys, but it was basically two guys pulling a sunroof out of a car at a pick and pull, shaky, blurry and pretty much useless. It was 9.99 or something so it wasnt worth the return bad feedback on ebay.
__________________

1982 300CD Turbo (Otis, "ups & downs") parts for sale
2003 TJ with Hemi (to go anywhere, quickly) sold
2001 Excursion Powerstroke (to go dependably)
1970 Mustang 428SCJ (to go fast)
1962 Corvette LS1 (to go in style)
2001 Schwinn Grape Krate 10spd (if all else fails)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Diesel911's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Beach,CA
Posts: 21,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
I wouldn't trust any rebuilt-it-at-home kind of videos.

Read their webpage, they say you should get rid of the primary fuel filter because it plugs up too fast.


$24 to tell you how to remove two plugs, reinstall the drain plug and fill it with 1.5Q oil?


$34 to tell you how to loosen a 10mm locknut and turn a screw?

Their whole website just screams shadetree mechanic SCAMMERS.
These videos sell as people (even me) sometimes have trouble understanding the printed manuals. Just like a repair manual; until you buy it and use it you will not know how much it is worth to you.
I believe that there are some Forum members who believe the the Chilton/Haynes type manuals are also a scam due to their content or lack of content.
If for $24 for the tape a person was able to rebuilt their transmission it would be worth the money. If it is like an exercise tape that you naver use it is not.
Also for what ever the reason peoples reading comperhension is poor and it is easier to show someone how to do something than it is to tell them.
Shade tree machanic: Have you seen the Utube Vid where the guy uses the ATF type funnel to install a CV boot. It was a slick video.
__________________
84 300D, 82 Volvo 244Gl Diesel
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lockport, NY
Posts: 52
I checked the vondor's feedback. He seems to have a lot of satisfied customers.
Gary
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2008, 02:32 PM
ImBroke's Avatar
Diesel way of Life
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcop1 View Post
I checked the vondor's feedback. He seems to have a lot of satisfied customers.
Gary
I checked that too, and emailed someone who wrote neg feedback to try to get some answers, but got no reply. Most of what they were complaining about was the fact that it was shot in a garage, not a production studio. I don't really care if it was shot by someone in their garage, if they know how to rebuild the tranny. Put the money in the meat, not in the production.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-06-2008, 06:15 PM
C Sean Watts's Avatar
NOCH EIN PILS!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 1,318
I read that too, a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBroke View Post
I checked that too, and emailed someone who wrote neg feedback to try to get some answers, but got no reply. Most of what they were complaining about was the fact that it was shot in a garage, not a production studio. I don't really care if it was shot by someone in their garage, if they know how to rebuild the tranny. Put the money in the meat, not in the production.
I emailed and DID get an answer on that....
'We didn't have any working high power lights that day and did not want to hold up the camera man.'

I'm not vouching, just a FWIW.
__________________
1987 300D (230,000 mi on a #14 head-watching the temp gauge and keeping the ghost in the machine)
Raleigh NC - Home of deep fried sushi!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-07-2008, 03:41 AM
Racerx
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 69
I think that I had this video.(before my dog ate it...) If its the same one, it looks like some guy that didn't have enough money to get his tranny rebuilt, and had the idea that the video would supplement the cost of the rebuild parts. I guess the rebuild kit wasn't cheap. It looks like it is shot in his basement and uses desk lamps tied to the overhead plumbing for lighting. There is a manual that he references that he bought online to blueprint his rebuild. He doesn't have the right tools to do this job, but does manage to do it, like compressing the clutch packs. In some ways its more informative than a pro because you see what kind of problems he runs into, just like anyone who never did this before.
I didn't rebuild my tranny, however I do have to say that i really enjoyed watching this, and got the feeling if he can do it, anyone can... It also should be noted that he doesn't touch the valve body.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page