PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/)
-   Diesel Discussion (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/)
-   -   83 240D stalled and won't restart. ideas? (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/217508-83-240d-stalled-wont-restart-ideas.html)

funola 03-25-2008 05:23 PM

83 240D stalled and won't restart. ideas?
 
It always started, w/o being plugged in all winter. Yesterday was in the 40's and it started right up as usual, I drove about a mile and all of a sudden it stalled, I tried restarting and it fired but stalled again. I pulled onto a side street and tried starting to no avail. I thought maybe it ran out of fuel at 260 miles on the odo since the last fill up. So I went back today with 2 gal of fuel and still won't start. I even replaced the old hand priming pump with the new leakfree black one to make it easier to prime. There is power to the glow plugs though I didn't check if any of them just burned out (they were fine last time I checked them in Oct 07). The battery was low so II took it home to charge and it won't start w freshly charged batt. Very little fuel was coming out of inj lines 1&4 and no fuel from 2&3 inj lines (after cracking the lines). Fuel filter has less than 400 miles on it. clear filter is new and clean. Bubble free fuel was coming out of return from filter into cigar hose.

Is the IP chain or gear driven? The camshaft is turning so the chain did not snap. Vacuum is not necessary for starting only for shut off is that right? What should I try next? Never a dull moment when it comes to 25 yr old cars. Thanks!

bro frank 03-25-2008 05:26 PM

stalled
 
try changing main fuel filter "the big one". i changed filters once. made it 300 miles and my car died couldn't figure it out. got a tow home put old filter back on car "just to see" car started and ran.

JimSmith 03-25-2008 05:26 PM

Pull the vacuum line off the shutoff valve and try. Someone reported here of a vacuum system leak that would slowly apply vacuum to the shut off valve and shut a running engine down. Jim

leathermang 03-25-2008 05:28 PM

Have you ever cleaned out the fuel tank ?
I suggest you put more than two gallons in and try it again...
see if you have gunk on the screen up taller than two gallons would uncover...
then report back...

kerry 03-25-2008 05:31 PM

My guess is that you still have air in the system. Pump that primer 100 more times.

funola 03-25-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimSmith (Post 1803871)
Pull the vacuum line off the shutoff valve and try. Someone reported here of a vacuum system leak that would slowly apply vacuum to the shut off valve and shut a running engine down. Jim

Already tried that didn't help. Any other ideas Jim? Thanks!

funola 03-25-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leathermang (Post 1803875)
Have you ever cleaned out the fuel tank ?
I suggest you put more than two gallons in and try it again...
see if you have gunk on the screen up taller than two gallons would uncover...
then report back...

The clear filter by the priming pump is full of fuel and it is clear and clean with no junk in it. Fuel is flowing as far as I know. Still think there's a dirty fuel tank?

leathermang 03-25-2008 07:24 PM

You have three filters.... but if there is crud on the one in the tank you just can't get enough fuel to run the car.... but typically it is easy to diagnose by simply putting more fuel into the tank... be sure you take the cap off and put it back on.... you may have a vacuum in there...

Stevo 03-25-2008 08:00 PM

I would be looking for someone to tow me if your in a place where "tow starting" would be an option.

pleiades 03-25-2008 08:08 PM

Hook up a bottle full of fuel to the send/return lines. If that works, you can be certain it's the filter at the tank.

If that doesn't, check your vacuum system. Also, when was the last time you changed your air filter?

300SDog 03-25-2008 08:49 PM

Instantaneous start remedy try WD-40 or diesel starting fluid. Meanwhile how long since its last valves clearances checked? Valves usually aint the kinda thing that would make it stall and die, but can be contributing factor to yer restart dilemma if theyre waay off spec.

funola 03-25-2008 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pleiades (Post 1804048)
Hook up a bottle full of fuel to the send/return lines. If that works, you can be certain it's the filter at the tank.

If that doesn't, check your vacuum system. Also, when was the last time you changed your air filter?

That's what I was gonna try next. Thanks!

funola 03-26-2008 05:11 PM

I drained the 2 gal from the tank. the short length of hose from the tank was dripping (probably why I was getting lousy mpg) so I replaced the hose. While I was in there, I blew into the fuel pickup screen and it was clear. I put 5 gal fresh fuel, changed the secondary fuel filter, primed it good but still no start. Fuel is coming out of the IP return line. However, no fuel out of the injector hard lines.

What next? Does having fuel coming out of the IP return mean that the pump is being driven?
Should I pull the vacuum shut off and see if it's stuck? What other tests can I do?

leathermang 03-26-2008 05:31 PM

This is sorta a two person job... but have you turned the engine over with the fuel lines loose at the injector ? I have to do this on my Ford Diesel Tractor to get it bled...
You just crack the seal ... use the starter... when fuel is coming out you tighten the lines quickly... it may start while you are doing this..

Brian Carlton 03-26-2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funola (Post 1805168)
I drained the 2 gal from the tank. the short length of hose from the tank was dripping (probably why I was getting lousy mpg) so I replaced the hose. While I was in there, I blew into the fuel pickup screen and it was clear. I put 5 gal fresh fuel, changed the secondary fuel filter, primed it good but still no start. Fuel is coming out of the IP return line. However, no fuel out of the injector hard lines.

What next? Does having fuel coming out of the IP return mean that the pump is being driven?
Should I pull the vacuum shut off and see if it's stuck? What other tests can I do?

You seem to have covered your bases well with regard to the fuel supply. I don't believe that filters are your problem. Generally, filters don't shut an engine down at idle..........they restrict fuel at higher fuel flows. They can cause a drop in fuel pressure to the IP and the idle might get a bit "lumpy" but they don't cause the engine to just shutdown unless they're plugged solid.

So, my thoughts now go toward the fuel pump. Without pressure from the pump, the IP can't fill the barrels and you won't get anything from the hard lines.

Disconnect the outlet line from the fuel pump to the secondary filter and put it into a clear jar. Crank the engine for 15 seconds. See if you get about 2 oz. of fuel in the jar. If you don't..........the pump needs replacement.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website