Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 09:58 PM
TedVS's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1
Need Help Identifiying a Part

Hi, I've been rebuilding a 1985 300TD. The trouble is the car is missing a part (plus the cover) that is either a vacuum switch or valve located in the junction box. I can't figure out the proper name to order one. Can anyone please help?

Here are some pictures to better explain:

Another view:

Thank you.

Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:12 AM
compress ignite's Avatar
Drone aspiring to Serfdom
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 32(degrees) North by 81(degrees) West
Posts: 5,554
Vacuum sys.prts.

Look Here:

or Look for a different model Here:
'84 300SD sold
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Registered Hack
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,625

I think you need this. on the far right end there should be 90 degree elbow that attaches to your valve cover (see arrow you called vacuum (not really vacuum)).
Then the 3-way junction in the center goes down into your turbo intake hose.
The left end attaches to the top of your air filter housing.

This setup takes blowby gasses and any vaporized oil and sends it through your turbo. Isn't that nice? The oil will eventually destroy your intake-to-turbo hose. Isn't that super?

Modifications are available.. search "oil seperator"

is this a california engine?

I dont believe that switch you are pointing to has any DIRECT association (parts) to the valve cover vent.

Last edited by jt20; 06-06-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:37 AM
Jeremy5848's Avatar
Registered Biodiesel User
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sonoma Wine Country
Posts: 8,394
The part you are talking about is on earlier 617.952 engines but not on the 1985. The 1985 engine does the vacuum switching differently. The vacuum switching is for the EGR valve. Many people simply take the EGR valve off, in which case the vacuum switch is no longer needed.

The microswitch in your picture is a signal input to the Klima relay (left inner fender, just ahead of the brake booster) that tells the a/c compressor to turn off when you floor the throttle. It is unique to the 1985 versions of the engine.

The vertical port in the valve cover is the breather; it has a right-angle rubber connector and a hard plastic hose going to the air cleaner (Federal 1985 and all pre-1985) or to the turbo intake and air cleaner (California 1985).



"Buster" in the '95

Our all-biodiesel family
1995 E300D (W124) . .239,000 miles My car
1996 E300D (W210) . .313,000 miles Wife's car
Santa Rosa population 170,685 (2012)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 722,685
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page