Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sea cliff n.y.
Posts: 120
2006 CDI mpg record

Does anybody on the forum know anything about the details of the Laredo to Tallahassee run with the 3 CDI's back in 05', or 06', I can not find anything other than the little bits that were published. They apparently got 49mpg, all that I know is that these cars ran the 1000 plus miles after the torcher test in Laredo Texas. No details about how fast they drove to Florida, how many stops, did they use cruise control, did they have highway escorts that opened up the road so they could have kept a steady speed to get that high Mpg. Also, I have read that the CDI for the European market gets a 2:47 rear instead of the 2:65 for the US models which would give it alot more mpg's
If anybody has any inside info, let r rip, I would like to hear the details.

Peter
1984 300d 285k
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-29-2008, 09:54 AM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
1039 miles and 58mpg average. 21Gallon tank.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sea cliff n.y.
Posts: 120
I think the 58mpg was for the imperial gallon.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-29-2008, 06:36 PM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Probably. It works out to 49.2mpg US.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-29-2008, 08:44 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
www.fueleconomy.gov thinks it is much lower than 49. Rated it at 23 city and 33 hwy. Still, based on the rating, I can't justify the switch since I am rated at 23 city and 32 hwy. Not worth it for that low a gain
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Tymbrymi's Avatar
Klatta Klatta
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Posts: 616
I get 36-37 on mine... I drive at 80-85mph with occasional full accelerations on the interstate depending on traffic.

Since it is only 6 miles across town I get horrible mileage (lots of idling, stop and go, and car not at operating temp). 23 if I drive normal. Can get 27+ if I drive really easy and the car has time to warm up.
__________________
John Robbins
'05 E320 CDI - 240k
'87 300TD - 318k
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-30-2008, 10:52 AM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymbrymi View Post
I get 36-37 on mine... I drive at 80-85mph with occasional full accelerations on the interstate depending on traffic.

Since it is only 6 miles across town I get horrible mileage (lots of idling, stop and go, and car not at operating temp). 23 if I drive normal. Can get 27+ if I drive really easy and the car has time to warm up.
I'd only get a CDI when my W210 wears out to the point it is economically unfeasible. Not sure that the extra few mpg justifies the cost of the upgrade.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Reno/Sparks, NV
Posts: 3,063
Aklim you're right on the mileage, they're almost identical between the 2 cars. I've been considering a CDI off and on in the past year or so, not because of the mileage but the torque, refinement, newer chassis and so on. But I don't feel like getting rid of my TDI which is even more fuel-efficient and having both a CDI and a TDI is pricey.
__________________
2004 VW Jetta TDI (manual)

Past MB's: '96 E300D, '83 240D, '82 300D, '87 300D, '87 420SEL
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-30-2008, 01:21 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddict View Post
Aklim you're right on the mileage, they're almost identical between the 2 cars. I've been considering a CDI off and on in the past year or so, not because of the mileage but the torque, refinement, newer chassis and so on. But I don't feel like getting rid of my TDI which is even more fuel-efficient and having both a CDI and a TDI is pricey.
So unless I am running a long distance cab service and drive like the OTR trucks, I don't think I will recoup my money. All of those factors you mentioned are nice. I just have to ask myself if it is several thousand dollars nice.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Reno/Sparks, NV
Posts: 3,063
That's right, don't trade your OM606 for a CDI just for the mileage as that makes no sense. If you trade, do it for the other reasons. Also it's more than just a several thousand dollar difference. Even a used CDI is easily worth twice as much as your W210.
__________________
2004 VW Jetta TDI (manual)

Past MB's: '96 E300D, '83 240D, '82 300D, '87 300D, '87 420SEL
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-30-2008, 01:33 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddict View Post
That's right, don't trade your OM606 for a CDI just for the mileage as that makes no sense. If you trade, do it for the other reasons. Also it's more than just a several thousand dollar difference. Even a used CDI is easily worth twice as much as your W210.
Ah, but you see, I plan to ebay it for huge sums of money and say it is capable of running Bio and WVO or SVO. As such, somebody might be stupid enough to bite.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Reno/Sparks, NV
Posts: 3,063
If you like torque and especially power (2 different but related things) another consideration is the E500 which is actually cheaper to purchase than a CDI. Depending on how long you keep it and how much you drive it you might come out ahead financially with the E500.
__________________
2004 VW Jetta TDI (manual)

Past MB's: '96 E300D, '83 240D, '82 300D, '87 300D, '87 420SEL
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Reno/Sparks, NV
Posts: 3,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Ah, but you see, I plan to ebay it for huge sums of money and say it is capable of running Bio and WVO or SVO. As such, somebody might be stupid enough to bite.
Yeah, there's a lot of stupidity out there, but the "bio-diesel" / WVO / SVO tactic works better on the buyers of the cheaper, older diesels.
__________________
2004 VW Jetta TDI (manual)

Past MB's: '96 E300D, '83 240D, '82 300D, '87 300D, '87 420SEL
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-30-2008, 01:44 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddict View Post
If you like torque and especially power (2 different but related things) another consideration is the E500 which is actually cheaper to purchase than a CDI. Depending on how long you keep it and how much you drive it you might come out ahead financially with the E500.
My biggest weakness in cars. I LOVE the high torque starts from a stop
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-30-2008, 01:46 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddict View Post
Yeah, there's a lot of stupidity out there, but the "bio-diesel" / WVO / SVO tactic works better on the buyers of the cheaper, older diesels.
I know but somewhere there is a fool out there with money that I would love to sell my SVO/WVO capable car to. Someone with more money than brains. A fool with money that needs to have it removed from his wallet. Once can hope
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page