Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 11-05-2008, 01:26 AM
MBeige's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD8CDH View Post
The citylights mod is not worth the trouble. It requires cutting the headlight buckets.
There are cheap ways to install city lights into US DOT headlight assemblies. First is the Hella H4 conversions that have city lights. You'll have to tap the park light to get power for the tiny city light bulb. No cutting of the headlight bucket.

The other way is to get city/town light adaptors that fit snugly in tandem with the H4 bulb, like a collar. Just the same, tap the park light function (then just tape off the other contact on the double contact bulb for the park light if you wish, so it only flashes and does not turn on with the city/park lights). Though I haven't done this I doubt if this will require cutting the headlight buckets as well.

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-05-2008, 01:34 AM
MBeige's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,746
Not sure if it's clear enough but this is probably how the city lights would look on the US DOT assemblies. In the image below my car has Hella H4's with no city lights (must be the ambient light). So when I switched to Euros... (see next image)



And this is how the city lights look with the square Euro lights:



As you can see even in broad day light the city lights have a distinct appearance to them. A bit like DRL's to me in a way, rather than turn on the headlights. The city lights basically allow you to be seen easier.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-05-2008, 05:31 AM
Shorebilly's Avatar
Marine Engineer (retired)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,268
Question Now ya got me wonderin'.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::matthew View Post
I also did a mod to my foglights (also with Silverstars) so I can operate them independent of the headlights. I use those as my "citylights".

the foglight mod is here
My '84 190D 2.2, 5 Speed, operates with the Fogs independent of the headlights. I like that arrangement, and the visibility in thick fog is far superior to the '85 300D with the low beam on along with the fogs. I had assumed that this was simply how the W201 cars were supposed to operate. I have had no indication that my 190D is anything other than a car built for the US market.....vin works in searches, and I had a friend at the MVA check it....it was originally part of a fleet in Florida.

Thanks for that link to the write-up on the conversion.....I definitely will look into doing it sometime in the future.

I didn't consider doing "city lights" when I ordered the Hella's, mainly because I live way out in the boonies, and rarely spend any time, in any city! However I have spent a great deal of time in Europe, and I know that the automotive public has a way different outlook on roadway courtesy. Most folks here in the USA don't even understand the "parking lights", rotation of the light switch counter clockwise from "off"...my Eicher tractor even has euro parking lights.....

SB
__________________

Diesels:
'85 300D, "Max, Blue Benz", 155K, 27.0 MPG
'84 190D 2.2, "Eva, Brown Benz", 142K, 40.2 MPG
'77 240D (parts car)
'67 Eicher ES 202 Tractor "Otto" (2cyl, Air Cooled, 30HP)
Gassers:
'94 Ford F-150, "Henry", 170K (300 Six) 17.5 MPG
'85 190E 2.3, 148K....Parts Car
'58 Dodge W300M Powerwagon (Flat Fenders) Less than 10 MPG
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-05-2008, 05:41 AM
Shorebilly's Avatar
Marine Engineer (retired)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,268
Question Euro retro.....

Folks,

Since we have wound up discussing rearranging our wiring to conform to Euro W123's......has anyone hooked up the "rear foglight"? The light switch has the second detent when pulled, and the position for the bulb is in the taillight assembly.

I would think that the US wiring harness would not be all that different from the Euro harness....so perhaps the wiring is all there as well.....if so, then it would only be a matter of installing a bulb socket into the taillight assembly and hooking it up.....

SB
__________________

Diesels:
'85 300D, "Max, Blue Benz", 155K, 27.0 MPG
'84 190D 2.2, "Eva, Brown Benz", 142K, 40.2 MPG
'77 240D (parts car)
'67 Eicher ES 202 Tractor "Otto" (2cyl, Air Cooled, 30HP)
Gassers:
'94 Ford F-150, "Henry", 170K (300 Six) 17.5 MPG
'85 190E 2.3, 148K....Parts Car
'58 Dodge W300M Powerwagon (Flat Fenders) Less than 10 MPG
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-05-2008, 08:34 AM
::matthew's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorebilly View Post
Folks,

Since we have wound up discussing rearranging our wiring to conform to Euro W123's......has anyone hooked up the "rear foglight"? The light switch has the second detent when pulled, and the position for the bulb is in the taillight assembly.

I would think that the US wiring harness would not be all that different from the Euro harness....so perhaps the wiring is all there as well.....if so, then it would only be a matter of installing a bulb socket into the taillight assembly and hooking it up.....

SB
there is a pictorial here

many of us not in extreme climates felt that the brake light mod was a better use of the extra light socket location (interior red lens on the w123), although with some fairly advanced wiring you could probably have both.

A guy on ebay sells a kit which makes it super easy to add the additional brake light.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::matthew View Post
there is a pictorial here

many of us not in extreme climates felt that the brake light mod was a better use of the extra light socket location (interior red lens on the w123), although with some fairly advanced wiring you could probably have both.

A guy on ebay sells a kit which makes it super easy to add the additional brake light.
Thanks for the link to the ebay seller for the brake light mod. When I did that mod a few years ago, I had to look thru several junk yards to get undamaged sockets. One of these days, I'll add two diodes and the extra wiring so they can be used for both extra brake lights and rear fogs.
__________________
Ron Schroeder
'85 300 Turbo Diesel 2 tank WVO
'83 300 Turbo Diesel 2 tank WVO
Some former WVO vehicles since ~1980:
'83 Mercedes 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 ISUZU Pup
'70 SAAB 99 with Kubota diesel
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota diesel
'86 Golf
Several diesel generators
All with 2 tank WVO conversion
LI NY
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-05-2008, 09:46 AM
pizzachef's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by katja View Post
I ordered my Hella 500 fogs from Susquehanna Motor Sports - good deal and they are great lights (the original outboard fog lights on my W115 had been broken off).
Can you take a picture or describe how the fogs are attached to the bumper/body on the 115? My 240 does not have them and I'd like to install some. I was looking for a set off of another car, but I may as well just get a new set of Hella 500's.

I also swapped my sealed beams for some Bosch H4's that my mechanic had. They are a great improvement and I like the flat look of them as well.
__________________
1985 300TD-euro 352,000 mi
1974 240D (1?)52,000 mi - has a new home now
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBeige View Post
There are cheap ways to install city lights into US DOT headlight assemblies. First is the Hella H4 conversions that have city lights. You'll have to tap the park light to get power for the tiny city light bulb. No cutting of the headlight bucket.

The other way is to get city/town light adaptors that fit snugly in tandem with the H4 bulb, like a collar. Just the same, tap the park light function (then just tape off the other contact on the double contact bulb for the park light if you wish, so it only flashes and does not turn on with the city/park lights). Though I haven't done this I doubt if this will require cutting the headlight buckets as well.
I tried the Hella H4 conversions with city lights in my W123. They didn't fit without needing some cutting. I put the Hella's in another vehicle that I own.

I didn't really like the quality of the city light collar conversion so I didn't even check to see if they would fit without cutting. Eventually. I went to a DRL conversion that runs the low beams at about 75% for long bulb life.
__________________
Ron Schroeder
'85 300 Turbo Diesel 2 tank WVO
'83 300 Turbo Diesel 2 tank WVO
Some former WVO vehicles since ~1980:
'83 Mercedes 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 ISUZU Pup
'70 SAAB 99 with Kubota diesel
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota diesel
'86 Golf
Several diesel generators
All with 2 tank WVO conversion
LI NY
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 PM
JHZR2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,294
Ive bought from Susquehanna before. I have 5 3/4 E-code Hellas on my E30 BMW and love them. Ive run Bosch and Cibie E-codes on my W123s. Supposedly Cibies are the best beam pattern, but they are all better than sealed beams. Id run Hella E-codes.

The bosch lights I had in my 83 included city lights. Honestly there is no point if you have to tap into the parking lights. The whole point is to have them as a DRL of sorts or specifically for use in the city. IMO if youre not going to hardwire them in (even if via a different switch), there is no reason.
__________________
Current Diesels:
1981 240D (73K)
1982 300CD (169k)
1985 190D (169k)
1991 350SD (113k)
1991 350SD (206k)
1991 300D (228k)
1993 300SD (291k)
1993 300D 2.5T (338k)
1996 Dodge Ram CTD (442k)
1996 Dodge Ram CTD (265k)

Past Diesels:
1983 300D (228K)
1985 300D (233K)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-20-2014, 02:53 AM
BenzTurbo's Avatar
300cd
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 566
I have 7" bosch "ecode" lights with osram 55/60w and bought the 5 1/4 hella ecodes from them that I replaced my yellow fogs with. I have 55w hi/lo hids in them that are switched by the factory fog light switch and the solenoid that controls hi beam is triggered by the factory high beams.
__________________
83 300CD- sanden, dual p/f condensers, 160a alternator, ect
91 300TD- 722.6, #22 head, 3.5L IP, w140 manifolds, ect
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-20-2014, 09:23 AM
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,601
I must be the odd one out. I've ordered from Rallylights several times. Every single time they've screwed up the order and every single time they've been near impossible to get in touch with.

Daniel Stern for me. I also like the Cibie sealed beam conversions better than Hella.
__________________
617 swapped Toyota Pickup, 22-24 MPG, 50k miles on swap
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-20-2014, 06:04 PM
MBeige's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by OM617YOTA View Post
I must be the odd one out. I've ordered from Rallylights several times. Every single time they've screwed up the order and every single time they've been near impossible to get in touch with.

Daniel Stern for me. I also like the Cibie sealed beam conversions better than Hella.
My last order from them was problematic. Hella H4's (spares) that arrived were all made in India!

Folks have also had problems with Daniel Stern also in terms of response time (due to his unique system).

Could be a case-to-case basis.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-20-2014, 06:14 PM
toomany MBZ's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: central Va
Posts: 7,820
I've ordered from these folks,
Rally Lights, Hella, TerraTrip, Hans, WRC, ZAMP - RallyLights.com
no problem, that was a long time ago tho.
__________________
83 SD

84 CD
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-21-2014, 09:23 AM
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBeige View Post
My last order from them was problematic. Hella H4's (spares) that arrived were all made in India!

Folks have also had problems with Daniel Stern also in terms of response time (due to his unique system).

Could be a case-to-case basis.
I've definitely had that issue with Stern as well. Sometimes he replies to my email in minutes, sometimes I never hear back.

Seems like, when it comes to high quality lighting, it helps to "know a guy."

Incidentally, Candlepowerforums has an automotive lighting section. Great source for information, moderated by someone who seems to be pretty high up in the industry. You have to either seriously know your stuff or have some thick skin, those guys don't suffer fools at all and will tell you in brutal clarity why you are wrong.

__________________
617 swapped Toyota Pickup, 22-24 MPG, 50k miles on swap
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2024 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page