Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-08-2008, 12:32 PM
71inka02
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsrock View Post
I've heard that not all of the older diesel refineries are able to produce ULSD, thus making a slight decrese in production. I would imagine that they would try to retrofit those that didn't...especially two years later, it shouldn't be that difficult. But what do I know?

Hey --- makes great sense to me! And it now even makes better sense when thinking back to the summer months when fuel prices were over the top, Oil Industry Executives (going to keep comments neutral-not mentioning names like Exxon) were sitting with their 'butts' pinched tight and lying to Congress and details relative to age of U.S refineries, and what?---something like 20 years since a new refinery has been built in the U.S?

So I agree -- It's been about 2 years, but even worse than that --- how much ADVANCE knowledge did the Oil Industry have as to the change to ULSD??? As I said earlier ---- sad proof and acceptance that it's all corruption and greed....Oh well!
__________________
71Inka02

62 W121 190DB - Original CA/AZ Car - Excellent Example
99 E300 Turbo Diesel - 362,000...Awesome Daily Driver
01 E320 Wagon - 297,xxx (wife's work car)
01 E320 Wagon - 131,000
02 Land Rover Disco SE- 110,000
87 BMW 325is (E30) Full Restore - Son's
06 Mini Cooper 'S' - Son's
87 Toyota FJ60 Land Cruiser - Showroom Condition - 152,000

84 300D - 142,xxx :cool - "Sold"
83 300D-"Sold" - 211,456
85 300SD-"Sold" - 213,789
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Actros617's Avatar
Ich fahre dieseltypen
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,103
Diesel here is 2.29 per gal that's the lowest i ever seen... It needs to be lower around 1.50 per gal
__________________
Benz's in our garage
2008 E320 Bluetec 127k mi

Sold
1987 300SDL 200K+
1994 S320 181K mi


RIP SECTION

1995 E320 Special Edition [Rear ended]
1984 300SD [Head on collision]
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Dee8go's Avatar
Senor User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 7,184
In a way it's like Californians complaining about the high cost of electricity when they have outlawed the buildiong of new power plants and yet keep increasing their use of electricity each year.

Bwwwaaaah!
__________________
" The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But, unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do."- Warren Buffett

OBK #55

1998 Lincoln Continental - Sold
Max 1984 300TD 285,000 miles - Sold
The Dee8gonator 1987 560SEC 196,000 miles - Sold
Orgasmatron - 2006 CLS500 25,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-08-2008, 12:47 PM
71inka02
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsrock View Post
If the price of diesel right now is dependent upon home heating oil, you could probably use that as better leverage..
I think they'd be more concerned about heating your home cost-effectively, especially in times like these, than paying at the pump. Unfortunately I don't think many people in my area use heating oil.

A GREAT point -- never thought of it that way! I understand that home heating oil is still big in New England area and Northern areas of Mid-West and Western U.S. I was in some type of 'hardware' store in NH a few years back and they had a HUGE end cap display of home heating oil 'additives/treatments' --- I looked at several differant brands and it appeared to do the EXACT same things as diesel fuel treatments --- increase pour point, dissipate water, cleaner burn -- etc etc...The only thing that appeared differant was the container size --- all stated to treat, - memory lapse here - I think either 250 or 275 gallons....Seems one of those is the 'norm' for home fuel tanks.
__________________
71Inka02

62 W121 190DB - Original CA/AZ Car - Excellent Example
99 E300 Turbo Diesel - 362,000...Awesome Daily Driver
01 E320 Wagon - 297,xxx (wife's work car)
01 E320 Wagon - 131,000
02 Land Rover Disco SE- 110,000
87 BMW 325is (E30) Full Restore - Son's
06 Mini Cooper 'S' - Son's
87 Toyota FJ60 Land Cruiser - Showroom Condition - 152,000

84 300D - 142,xxx :cool - "Sold"
83 300D-"Sold" - 211,456
85 300SD-"Sold" - 213,789
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-08-2008, 12:53 PM
71inka02
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee8go View Post
In a way it's like Californians complaining about the high cost of electricity when they have outlawed the buildiong of new power plants and yet keep increasing their use of electricity each year.

Bwwwaaaah!

Yep, Dee8go...Just like that --- But please note, that I'm not in anyway attacking or making negative comments about Californians!! They are wonderful people --- I have to include this disclaimer to avoid them taking cheap shots at us North Carolinians enjoying GRITS and TRUE College hoops!!
__________________
71Inka02

62 W121 190DB - Original CA/AZ Car - Excellent Example
99 E300 Turbo Diesel - 362,000...Awesome Daily Driver
01 E320 Wagon - 297,xxx (wife's work car)
01 E320 Wagon - 131,000
02 Land Rover Disco SE- 110,000
87 BMW 325is (E30) Full Restore - Son's
06 Mini Cooper 'S' - Son's
87 Toyota FJ60 Land Cruiser - Showroom Condition - 152,000

84 300D - 142,xxx :cool - "Sold"
83 300D-"Sold" - 211,456
85 300SD-"Sold" - 213,789
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-08-2008, 01:02 PM
awsrock's Avatar
Winter Turbo Project!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tinley Park, IL
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71inka02 View Post
Yep, Dee8go...Just like that --- But please note, that I'm not in anyway attacking or making negative comments about Californians!! They are wonderful people --- I have to include this disclaimer to avoid them taking cheap shots at us North Carolinians enjoying GRITS and TRUE College hoops!!
College hoops that you beat us with!!! (2005?) We still have a grudge against you Tarheels. At least our football team got a little bit better..

Anyway, as someone had mentioned earlier, I must agree that I'd be happy if diesel was at least the same price as gasoline. I don't want it to be over $4 again, but I'm ok with $2.50...but when it's a dollar more than gas, that just isn't fair. You really can't complain about anything under $2, IMO, but I am seeing it already from people saying "why is gas up to $1.79 again when it was $1.50 last week?!?!?!"
It's funny to see now that people all go 75+ on the highway again, when just a few months ago 65 was all the rage
__________________
Dan
1987 300SDL HX30 - 166k
Past: 1987 300D - 264k
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Dee8go's Avatar
Senor User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 7,184
Well, I'm sure that not EVERYbody in CA voted against building new power plants, but still, it IS kinda funny when you think about it.
__________________
" The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But, unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do."- Warren Buffett

OBK #55

1998 Lincoln Continental - Sold
Max 1984 300TD 285,000 miles - Sold
The Dee8gonator 1987 560SEC 196,000 miles - Sold
Orgasmatron - 2006 CLS500 25,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-08-2008, 01:06 PM
71inka02
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actros617 View Post
Diesel here is 2.29 per gal that's the lowest i ever seen... It needs to be lower around 1.50 per gal

Hello Actros617 --

A question for you...I appreciate your signature including your W126! But I can't tell if it has a pin strip down the side.

My reason for asking is this ---- The paint on my 85 SD (pale yellow) had started to kind of oxidize (not sure if that's the correct word) or build up 'dead paint'....Anyway -- This past Saturday I took the ol girl to a guy that does that 'paintless dent repair' and paint touch up work for several of the large new car dealers in my area...My pinstrips were starting to look a little warn, with some very minor peeling in a few areas like around door handles ----- SO - I had the guy remove them, with the plan to put new ones on, and the dadblamed ol girl actually looks really nice without them! The guy did an absolutely GREAT job at bringing back the shine and removing paint marks from a couple of door dings etc etc...

I choose to hold off putting new pinstripes on as I wasn't sure I wanted them or that the car actually needed them....

So I'm now extremely curious about other W126's having pinstripes or not...I tried to check out some pics on the gallery, but had a difficult time determing ----- Looking for opinions....Maybe I should start a thread on it??????

Thanks...
__________________
71Inka02

62 W121 190DB - Original CA/AZ Car - Excellent Example
99 E300 Turbo Diesel - 362,000...Awesome Daily Driver
01 E320 Wagon - 297,xxx (wife's work car)
01 E320 Wagon - 131,000
02 Land Rover Disco SE- 110,000
87 BMW 325is (E30) Full Restore - Son's
06 Mini Cooper 'S' - Son's
87 Toyota FJ60 Land Cruiser - Showroom Condition - 152,000

84 300D - 142,xxx :cool - "Sold"
83 300D-"Sold" - 211,456
85 300SD-"Sold" - 213,789
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Graplr's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71inka02 View Post
That's a great feature! I use a Garmin Street Pilot for GPS, but as I'm sure you're aware It tells you where to find fuel -- but not prices. I also do the BlackBerry thing -- Older model...had a couple of years but my 19 (IPhone) & 21 (newest BlkBerry ?) yr old boys tell me their new phones have GPS ----- Wonder if either of them have that feature??? Sounds like it may be time to visit my local AT&T store to ask lots of questions!!!

Thanks again for all the information --- Great forum and members!!
I have an Instinct and have used the gas by price feature. It is helpful but I have found that the fuel prices are not accurate. It does generally show which ones are lower and which ones are higher but I have yet to find an actually correct diesel price stated on my phone vs what the sign at the station says.
__________________
2004 E320 Wagon

Past Mercedes
1979 300TD
1982 300TD
2000 E320 4Matic Wagon
1998 E430
1984 300SD
1980 300SD
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Graplr's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71inka02 View Post
Hello Actros617 --

So I'm now extremely curious about other W126's having pinstripes or not...I tried to check out some pics on the gallery, but had a difficult time determing ----- Looking for opinions....Maybe I should start a thread on it??????

Thanks...
Go to my profile. I have a pic of my 126 (silver, well technically I believe it is called aluminum ). You can faintly make out the pin stripes.

Forgive the mess around it! It was tear down day on the 116 and I wanted to have a pic in my profile with both cars in it.
__________________
2004 E320 Wagon

Past Mercedes
1979 300TD
1982 300TD
2000 E320 4Matic Wagon
1998 E430
1984 300SD
1980 300SD
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-08-2008, 02:46 PM
71inka02
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsrock View Post
College hoops that you beat us with!!! (2005?) We still have a grudge against you Tarheels. At least our football team got a little bit better..

Anyway, as someone had mentioned earlier, I must agree that I'd be happy if diesel was at least the same price as gasoline. I don't want it to be over $4 again, but I'm ok with $2.50...but when it's a dollar more than gas, that just isn't fair. You really can't complain about anything under $2, IMO, but I am seeing it already from people saying "why is gas up to $1.79 again when it was $1.50 last week?!?!?!"
It's funny to see now that people all go 75+ on the highway again, when just a few months ago 65 was all the rage

You do know the "truth" about the name 'Tarheels', don't you? If not, I'll offer the correct understanding -- And it truely applies to everything we North Carolinians do --- right or wrong!

And I so agree on your other comments - IMO, I too am OK paying a little more for diesel - but not a full dollar or more. And yes, we (folks in general) aren't balanced when it comes to being content with some issues -- I too have recently been involved in discussions where folks are complaining that gas went back up a nickel or so over Thanksgiving ---- Gas has always increased during a Holiday period-that's not new, that's free enterprise...part of "over the river and thru the woods to grandma's house we go" --- people travel during Holidays, and always will, and gas (fuel) is always going to increase during specific times of the year....
__________________
71Inka02

62 W121 190DB - Original CA/AZ Car - Excellent Example
99 E300 Turbo Diesel - 362,000...Awesome Daily Driver
01 E320 Wagon - 297,xxx (wife's work car)
01 E320 Wagon - 131,000
02 Land Rover Disco SE- 110,000
87 BMW 325is (E30) Full Restore - Son's
06 Mini Cooper 'S' - Son's
87 Toyota FJ60 Land Cruiser - Showroom Condition - 152,000

84 300D - 142,xxx :cool - "Sold"
83 300D-"Sold" - 211,456
85 300SD-"Sold" - 213,789
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-08-2008, 02:51 PM
71inka02
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graplr View Post
Go to my profile. I have a pic of my 126 (silver, well technically I believe it is called aluminum ). You can faintly make out the pin stripes.

Forgive the mess around it! It was tear down day on the 116 and I wanted to have a pic in my profile with both cars in it.

Yep - I zoomed in, and the stripe looks good.

Have ever noticed if pinstripes are more the norm for the 126's? As I stated earlier, I'm really on the fence about having them put back on...I'll try to snap a pic tomorrow and send it --- need some feedback on this one. thanks......
__________________
71Inka02

62 W121 190DB - Original CA/AZ Car - Excellent Example
99 E300 Turbo Diesel - 362,000...Awesome Daily Driver
01 E320 Wagon - 297,xxx (wife's work car)
01 E320 Wagon - 131,000
02 Land Rover Disco SE- 110,000
87 BMW 325is (E30) Full Restore - Son's
06 Mini Cooper 'S' - Son's
87 Toyota FJ60 Land Cruiser - Showroom Condition - 152,000

84 300D - 142,xxx :cool - "Sold"
83 300D-"Sold" - 211,456
85 300SD-"Sold" - 213,789
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Graplr's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71inka02 View Post
Yep - I zoomed in, and the stripe looks good.

Have ever noticed if pinstripes are more the norm for the 126's? As I stated earlier, I'm really on the fence about having them put back on...I'll try to snap a pic tomorrow and send it --- need some feedback on this one. thanks......
I think pin stripes are the norm since they were originally on the cars. Whether you like them or not is a matter of personal choice.

I used to dispise pin stripes, but as I get older I seem to like them better.

My personal opinion is they look good except for up close. When you are looking right at them they look out of place.
__________________
2004 E320 Wagon

Past Mercedes
1979 300TD
1982 300TD
2000 E320 4Matic Wagon
1998 E430
1984 300SD
1980 300SD
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Actros617's Avatar
Ich fahre dieseltypen
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71inka02 View Post
Hello Actros617 --

A question for you...I appreciate your signature including your W126! But I can't tell if it has a pin strip down the side.

My reason for asking is this ---- The paint on my 85 SD (pale yellow) had started to kind of oxidize (not sure if that's the correct word) or build up 'dead paint'....Anyway -- This past Saturday I took the ol girl to a guy that does that 'paintless dent repair' and paint touch up work for several of the large new car dealers in my area...My pinstrips were starting to look a little warn, with some very minor peeling in a few areas like around door handles ----- SO - I had the guy remove them, with the plan to put new ones on, and the dadblamed ol girl actually looks really nice without them! The guy did an absolutely GREAT job at bringing back the shine and removing paint marks from a couple of door dings etc etc...

I choose to hold off putting new pinstripes on as I wasn't sure I wanted them or that the car actually needed them....

So I'm now extremely curious about other W126's having pinstripes or not...I tried to check out some pics on the gallery, but had a difficult time determing ----- Looking for opinions....Maybe I should start a thread on it??????

Thanks...
You know it really depends on the color on the car, mine has a sliver on smokey gray and i really liked it, but its sort of pealing a little off here and there got to get it repainted soon...
__________________
Benz's in our garage
2008 E320 Bluetec 127k mi

Sold
1987 300SDL 200K+
1994 S320 181K mi


RIP SECTION

1995 E320 Special Edition [Rear ended]
1984 300SD [Head on collision]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page