Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #136  
Old 03-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplafleur View Post

Are oil pumps rebuildable or do I have to get a new one? It may take a couple of months for me to get enough scratch to buy one.
A couple of months to save for an oil pump? How much can an oil pump cost? I can't imagine they'd be more than $100 or so.
__________________
Paul S.

2001 E430, Bourdeaux Red, Oyster interior.
79,200 miles.

1973 280SE 4.5, 170,000 miles. 568 Signal Red, Black MB Tex. "The Red Baron".
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 PM
mplafleur's Avatar
User Friendly
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Lathrup Village, Michigan
Posts: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by suginami View Post
A couple of months to save for an oil pump? How much can an oil pump cost? I can't imagine they'd be more than $100 or so.
$265 is the cheapest I've seen. I've got kids in college and heating bills to pay...
__________________
Michael LaFleur

'05 E320 CDI - 86,000 miles
'86 300SDL - 360,000 miles
'85 300SD - 150,000 miles (sold)
'89 190D - 120,000 miles (sold)
'85 300SD - 317,000 miles (sold)
'98 ML320 - 270,000 miles (sold)
'75 300D - 170,000 miles (sold)
'83 Harley Davidson FLTC (Broken again) :-(
'61 Plymouth Valiant - 60k mikes
2004 Papillon (Oliver)
2005 Tzitzu (Griffon)
2009 Welsh Corgi (Buba)

Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 03-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplafleur View Post
When cold, I get up to 3 bar. As the engine warms, it's lucky I get up to 2 bar. When hot, I'm lucky to get up to 1 bar.
Oil pressure readings are meaningless without rpm's attached.

1 bar is perfectly fine at idle..........it's totally unacceptable at 3000 rpm.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 03-29-2009, 08:31 PM
mplafleur's Avatar
User Friendly
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Lathrup Village, Michigan
Posts: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
Oil pressure readings are meaningless without rpm's attached.

1 bar is perfectly fine at idle..........it's totally unacceptable at 3000 rpm.
Let's say "under load", while driving. At idle it almost dropped to zero.

What I expect is 2 bar at idle and 3 bar at anything greater than say 1500 rpm.

I know it can be less by the book, but this is a freshly rebuilt engine.
__________________
Michael LaFleur

'05 E320 CDI - 86,000 miles
'86 300SDL - 360,000 miles
'85 300SD - 150,000 miles (sold)
'89 190D - 120,000 miles (sold)
'85 300SD - 317,000 miles (sold)
'98 ML320 - 270,000 miles (sold)
'75 300D - 170,000 miles (sold)
'83 Harley Davidson FLTC (Broken again) :-(
'61 Plymouth Valiant - 60k mikes
2004 Papillon (Oliver)
2005 Tzitzu (Griffon)
2009 Welsh Corgi (Buba)

Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 03-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Posts: 307
Don't dispair. Laugh at it and look at your car and look

at all of those ghosts heads and male sex parts plastered all over your car and put there by Mercedes Benz engineers on purpose for occasions such as this, where you are looking for glory, but no glory is to be found. I've been there and done that.

Anyway, what I would do if I were you is pat myself on the back for getting the car to start any kind of way. Then I would start over and take that engine down and go through it again, but this time, check and double check and double check again. I bet you used Mercedes Benz specs. If you did, you will come up short every time.

Anyway, laugh at it and don't think about all of the money and time you have sunk into that black hole, but be even more determined to find out the secrets. I wish I could tell you more, but I have so much money and time sunk in that black hole that some how, some way I've got to make my money back up, but I do know the secrets, all of them.

BenzDiesel

Last edited by BenzDiesel; 03-29-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplafleur View Post
Let's say "under load", while driving. At idle it almost dropped to zero.

.

If you have 1 bar above 2000 rpm's...........you've got some serious problems unless it's the sending unit.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Posts: 307
Most certainly, definitely rule out the sending unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
If you have 1 bar above 2000 rpm's...........you've got some serious problems unless it's the sending unit.
It was my understanding that the sending unit had already been determined to be registering properly. If the problem is just the sending unit, then he will be really lucky. However, I've learned that you hardly ever get lucky working on these cars, unless you can say you fixed your car for less than $15,000.00 and came out lucky.

BenzDiesel

Last edited by BenzDiesel; 03-29-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzDiesel View Post
It was my understanding that the sending unit had already been determined to be registering properly. If the problem is just the sending unit, then he will be really lucky. However, I've learned that you hardly ever get lucky working on these cars, unless you can say you fixed your car for less than $15,000.00 and came out lucky.

BenzDiesel
Agreed. It's time to hook up a mechanical gauge.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:21 PM
DeliveryValve's Avatar
Chairman of my Benz
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplafleur View Post
....
I did not plastigage the bearing clearances when I installed the crank and connecting rods as the crank had just come from the machine shop.
....
Wow, you've been very diligent in measuring everything. I am surprised you didn't do this. Anycase, hopefully it just a bad oil pump. But definitely get that mechanical gauge in there.
__________________
1983 123.133 California
- GreaseCar Veg System


Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:29 PM
mplafleur's Avatar
User Friendly
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Lathrup Village, Michigan
Posts: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
If you have 1 bar above 2000 rpm's...........you've got some serious problems unless it's the sending unit.
Yes I know. I'm sure it's not the sending unit as two I have used read relatively the same. I'll verify that with a mechanical gauge later this week.

It fits with the previous owner's engine failure that I have an oil pump failure. I'll have to lift the engine and drop the pan. I'll plastigauge the bearings and if they are within spec, I'll replace the pump.
__________________
Michael LaFleur

'05 E320 CDI - 86,000 miles
'86 300SDL - 360,000 miles
'85 300SD - 150,000 miles (sold)
'89 190D - 120,000 miles (sold)
'85 300SD - 317,000 miles (sold)
'98 ML320 - 270,000 miles (sold)
'75 300D - 170,000 miles (sold)
'83 Harley Davidson FLTC (Broken again) :-(
'61 Plymouth Valiant - 60k mikes
2004 Papillon (Oliver)
2005 Tzitzu (Griffon)
2009 Welsh Corgi (Buba)

Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplafleur View Post
Yes I know. I'm sure it's not the sending unit as two I have used read relatively the same. I'll verify that with a mechanical gauge later this week.

It fits with the previous owner's engine failure that I have an oil pump failure. I'll have to lift the engine and drop the pan. I'll plastigauge the bearings and if they are within spec, I'll replace the pump.
I cannot imagine a situation where new bearings would result in pressure that low...........even if they were on the "large" side of the clearance specs.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Posts: 307
Oil pump failure as the cause would be really lucky indeed.

The way I kept myself going through all of my pitfalls and nearly going broke was to think about all of the head aches Mercedes Benz engineers must have endured to come up with some of this stuff they put on their cars to discourage people from trying to work on their cars to a degree further than just changing oil and brake fluids. Also, remember that you aren't done until you are done, meaning the car is running like a Mercedes Benz car and you will know it when you get there.

BenzDiesel
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 03-30-2009, 12:07 AM
mplafleur's Avatar
User Friendly
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Lathrup Village, Michigan
Posts: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
I cannot imagine a situation where new bearings would result in pressure that low...........even if they were on the "large" side of the clearance specs.
That's what I think, but I have to take the pan off anyway. It will be easy to check for "peace of mind".
__________________
Michael LaFleur

'05 E320 CDI - 86,000 miles
'86 300SDL - 360,000 miles
'85 300SD - 150,000 miles (sold)
'89 190D - 120,000 miles (sold)
'85 300SD - 317,000 miles (sold)
'98 ML320 - 270,000 miles (sold)
'75 300D - 170,000 miles (sold)
'83 Harley Davidson FLTC (Broken again) :-(
'61 Plymouth Valiant - 60k mikes
2004 Papillon (Oliver)
2005 Tzitzu (Griffon)
2009 Welsh Corgi (Buba)

Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 03-30-2009, 12:39 AM
unkl300d's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: San Francisco, Ca
Posts: 2,291
Enjoy the ride.

Hey dude you are doing fine ! Great work so far.
To be admired.
Ghostbusters !
__________________
1979 300D 199 K miles
1995 C280 95 K miles
1992 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe 57K miles
********************
1979 240D 140Kmiles (bought for parents) *SOLD.
SAN FRANCISCO/(*San Diego)
1989 300SE 148 K miles *SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 AM
turbobenz's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cameron Park CA
Posts: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzDiesel View Post
The way I kept myself going through all of my pitfalls and nearly going broke was to think about all of the head aches Mercedes Benz engineers must have endured to come up with some of this stuff they put on their cars to discourage people from trying to work on their cars to a degree further than just changing oil and brake fluids. Also, remember that you aren't done until you are done, meaning the car is running like a Mercedes Benz car and you will know it when you get there.

BenzDiesel
Its true, its IMPOSSIBLE to be satisfied with these cars unless their mechanically perfect.
__________________
1981 300SD 512k OM603


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page