Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-30-2009, 10:15 AM
smittyinnola's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 95
I am going to replace window and door seals/weather stripping $$$

Well, I am going to take the plunge and replace all the seals around my windshields, windows and doors. I am tired of driving around with the windows open when it rains to keep the windows from fogging!

Looks like the parts are going to run around $1800 that includes both windshields, all rubber around front and rear windows on both sides, door seals and trunk seal! A big chunk of $$$ but I am just going to take the plunge .
The problem is that I don't feel confident in my abilities to change all the seals out. I got a quote for the labor and its coming to around $1500 !!!!

Is the labor to change out these seals really that time intensive?
__________________
1982 300 CD "The Shady Lady"
Silver Blue Metallic
Pacific Blue Interior


1984 BMW 633 CSi
Bronzit Beige Metalic
Perlbeige Leather
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Chad300tdt's Avatar
Benzless Scoutmaster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 4,001
I'd do that all myself, since you will most likely find some rot under the seals that should be remedied before installing the new seals.

The front windshield isn't THAT bad to pull out and replace the seal, but the rear is a tough one and can easily break if not handled properly.

The other seals aren't difficult, just time consuming.

Also, are you thinking that replacing the seals will keep the windows from fogging when it rains? The only thing that will cure that is using the defrost or the AC.
__________________
Chad
2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE
1998 Acura 3.0 CL
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
1985 300CD - Gladys
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-30-2009, 10:35 AM
smittyinnola's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 95
Yeah, need to keep the water OUTSIDE the car!

Yes, I am replacing the blower motor as well to get the defrost to work. The seals will help with the leaks and rain INSIDE the car.

I am still not sure about changing out the rubber myself. Windshields aside, what is involved in changing out the rubber on the doors and windows?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad300tdt View Post
I'd do that all myself, since you will most likely find some rot under the seals that should be remedied before installing the new seals.

The front windshield isn't THAT bad to pull out and replace the seal, but the rear is a tough one and can easily break if not handled properly.

The other seals aren't difficult, just time consuming.

Also, are you thinking that replacing the seals will keep the windows from fogging when it rains? The only thing that will cure that is using the defrost or the AC.
__________________
1982 300 CD "The Shady Lady"
Silver Blue Metallic
Pacific Blue Interior


1984 BMW 633 CSi
Bronzit Beige Metalic
Perlbeige Leather
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Scott98's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Weston, FL
Posts: 1,254
Have you taken the carpets out of the car and gone over it with a water hose to confirm where the water intrusion is coming from? My car has been leaking water into the driver's side floor pan, front and back. I got the water hose out and started hosing down different sections of the car to determine the source of the leak. Turns out it was coming from my door seals, not the windshield or rear window seals.

Scott
__________________
Scott
1982 Mercedes 240D, 4 speed, 275,000
1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S (70,000)
1987 Porsche 911 Coupe 109,000 (sold)
1998 Mercedes E300 TurboDiesel 147,000 (sold)
1985 Mercedes 300D 227,000 (totaled by inattentive driver with no insurance!)
1997 Mercedes E300 Diesel 236,000 (sold)
1995 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1987 VW Jetta GLI 157,000 (sold)
1986 Camaro 125,000 (sold - P.O.S.)
1977 Corvette L82 125,000 (sold)
1965 Pontiac GTO 15,000 restored (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Chad300tdt's Avatar
Benzless Scoutmaster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 4,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyinnola View Post
Yes, I am replacing the blower motor as well to get the defrost to work. The seals will help with the leaks and rain INSIDE the car.

I am still not sure about changing out the rubber myself. Windshields aside, what is involved in changing out the rubber on the doors and windows?
Removal of various trim and clips, pulling out the old seals cleaning the surfaces and installing the new seals with adhesive and clips in the appropriate areas.

There is too much to type out here. If you contact the MB Classic Center you can order the "Model 123 Service Manual Library". It costs $20 and outlines what you need to know.

I second the suggestion of further diagnosis with a garden hose. There are several very common areas on 123s for water leaks. Seals aren't always at fault. Make sure to clear ALL your body drains and look for rust/rot in those areas.
__________________
Chad
2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE
1998 Acura 3.0 CL
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
1985 300CD - Gladys
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 11
I'm doing door seals right now. I'm going to pay someone to do the rear window seal because of what is involved. I don't want my original rear windshield broken. I was told the labor for this should be around $100.

I think it's the new glass that you want that is driving up the price. I way overpaid for my seals (4 door and 1 rear window seal for $400 even). At the time I could not find anywhere to buy them. Now lots of places have them and for those 5 seals, I could get them today for ~$275. For door seals there are replacement clips that are needed and adhesive for the sections that are in the door jam. The clip sets are different between the front doors and the back doors. I had to call Mercedes Benz to get the right clips for the rear doors because I could not find them anywhere.

When I put the first seal in I had directions but not an understanding of how they went in regardless and I was struggling. Luckily I left one door seal on and I could look at it and then I understood how the thing goes on. Trim tools are a must for this job.

I had rust in parts of the lower seal track as some people suggested. I grinded it off and then coated it with miracle paint, primer and touch-up paint. I do have one rear door that has no track left and a big hole where I would have maybe been able to glue a seal on without the track. However, I'm stuck on that door because I cannot figure out how to get the seal to stay and I cannot afford body work to fix the door. (I don't actually know how the much the body work would cost, I'm making an assumption that it would be a lot).

I just did the math and came up with ~$430 for all seals, clips and tools. Everything but adhesive.
Trim tools $15
Rear door clips 12 x2
Front door clips 10 x 2
Rear window seal 57.95
Front window seal 57.95
Trunk seal 42.50
2 rear doors $57 x 2
2 front doors $49 x 2

I would pay someone for the window work and save money on the door and trunk seals.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Yak Yak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,711
Smitty - can you send me a link or info on your source for seals for the Coupe? The gap between the front and rear window seals on mine has got to go...

'83 300CD
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-30-2009, 03:05 PM
smittyinnola's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 95
Got em from Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
Smitty - can you send me a link or info on your source for seals for the Coupe? The gap between the front and rear window seals on mine has got to go...

'83 300CD
Hey there, I emailed Phil to get all the rubber pieces I wanted. He was able to get them all even though I couldn't search them on the website.

The ones that cost the most are for the front and rear windshields...about $150 apiece. Also the ones that go on the roof edge over the windows on the left and right side are around $500 EACH!!!

Its super expensive, but even without the garden hose test, I can see that all the rubber is cracked, split and dry rotted. Also I also have gaps between the front and rear windows. Oh well...replace them and don't worry again for another 10 to 15 years!
__________________
1982 300 CD "The Shady Lady"
Silver Blue Metallic
Pacific Blue Interior


1984 BMW 633 CSi
Bronzit Beige Metalic
Perlbeige Leather
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-30-2009, 03:08 PM
smittyinnola's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 95
WHoa...good prices there

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_benz View Post
I'm doing door seals right now. I'm going to pay someone to do the rear window seal because of what is involved. I don't want my original rear windshield broken. I was told the labor for this should be around $100.

I think it's the new glass that you want that is driving up the price. I way overpaid for my seals (4 door and 1 rear window seal for $400 even). At the time I could not find anywhere to buy them. Now lots of places have them and for those 5 seals, I could get them today for ~$275. For door seals there are replacement clips that are needed and adhesive for the sections that are in the door jam. The clip sets are different between the front doors and the back doors. I had to call Mercedes Benz to get the right clips for the rear doors because I could not find them anywhere.

When I put the first seal in I had directions but not an understanding of how they went in regardless and I was struggling. Luckily I left one door seal on and I could look at it and then I understood how the thing goes on. Trim tools are a must for this job.

I had rust in parts of the lower seal track as some people suggested. I grinded it off and then coated it with miracle paint, primer and touch-up paint. I do have one rear door that has no track left and a big hole where I would have maybe been able to glue a seal on without the track. However, I'm stuck on that door because I cannot figure out how to get the seal to stay and I cannot afford body work to fix the door. (I don't actually know how the much the body work would cost, I'm making an assumption that it would be a lot).

I just did the math and came up with ~$430 for all seals, clips and tools. Everything but adhesive.
Trim tools $15
Rear door clips 12 x2
Front door clips 10 x 2
Rear window seal 57.95
Front window seal 57.95
Trunk seal 42.50
2 rear doors $57 x 2
2 front doors $49 x 2

I would pay someone for the window work and save money on the door and trunk seals.



When you say front and rear window seals are you talking about the windshield or the front driver and passenger windows? If you are talking about the windshield we might need to talk. I have found them to be around $150...nearly 3x what you paid!
__________________
1982 300 CD "The Shady Lady"
Silver Blue Metallic
Pacific Blue Interior


1984 BMW 633 CSi
Bronzit Beige Metalic
Perlbeige Leather
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: DFW area (north side)
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyinnola View Post
When you say front and rear window seals are you talking about the windshield or the front driver and passenger windows? If you are talking about the windshield we might need to talk. I have found them to be around $150...nearly 3x what you paid!
It's clear that's what he plans and if he searches, he'll find lots of issues with cheap aftermarket seals. I just bought a set (on sale at Millers) for about $500.
__________________
Charles
1983 300D, bought new, 215k+ miles, donated to Purple Hearts veterans charity but I have parts for sale: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=296386
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 11
Do you consider Meyle to be cheap aftermarket seals? And don't get mad because you overpaid. As I said I overpaid on mine too. 430 is what I could get all that for today. About seven months too late to save me from paying 400 dollars for only 5 seals.

I do have a sedan and not a coupe so let me look around and see if I can find a price for coupe seals. My pricing did not include the drain rails rubber because I've never heard of anyone replacing that and I'm sure it's too expensive. Let's see, coupe specific:

Meyle trunk seal $33.50 (it's the same as the one for sedans)
side window outer seal mercedes oem both windows $47

Are windshield seals different between coupes and sedans?

I'll send you a PM about where you can get good information about OEM list prices and whatever discount they feel like giving you on that day. In my case it was more than 30% off list but I think normally it's about 20% off.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Yak Yak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,711
I've seen two or three other threads on other forums that have around $1700 total for the whole coupe. $500/side seems to match the figure for the doors; so your $1800 for parts seems in the ballpark. Distinction between OEM and aftermarket buyers was listed as the "velveteen" surface on parts from the dealer vs a smooth rubber from the aftermarket, but you pay for that difference.

I have to assume the sedan parts are simply much more available and cheaper.

Since San Antonio is in the midst of a historic drought, and the coupe is currently my project car, I've got time to shop around.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page